WS/FCS Board of Education candidates talk inclusivity, discipline, and mental health, Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of Education, Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning. In a written answer about school security, Hardman wrote that students who consistently engage in disruptive behaviors "must be removed from the school and reassigned to another opportunity for learning, thus allowing the majority of students who are ready and willing to learn the opportunity to do so without issue.". Administration; District Overview; WS/FCS Every Student Succeeds; Schools; Employee Directory; Strategic Plan & Other District Plans; Accountability Data Release I am uniquely qualified to provide experience and expertise to face WSFCS' biggest challenge which is our low reading proficiency rate, 38.1%. Winston Salem Forsyth County Schools is now hiring a Second Grade Classroom Teacher in Winston-Salem, NC. Im going to ask that you state certain parts together because if ever there was a need for unity, its this board, Hartsfield continued. When it comes to the five District 1 candidates running, I think I stand out through the work that I have done and continue to do in the community when it comes to education, as well as the work that I have done as an educator in K-12 and higher education. In 2015, I left the IT field to do an internship in preparation for becoming a lateral entry math teacher. I know what it is like to meet payroll every other week and I know how to analyze the risk/benefit tradeoffs that come with running a small business. Winston Salem/Forsyth County Schools Location Winston-Salem, NC, US Salary Competitive. FORSYTH COUNTY, N.C. The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools' Board of Education voted in favor of adding five new school resource officers to the . As chairperson, I believe I have demonstrated strong leadership and the ability to bring our board together and move forward on items that are important to our kids, teachers and parents. I stand out among all the other candidates because I believe I am the total package with 30 years of experience. I know what it is like to have a large number of families depend on my decision-making skills to feed their families. The Forsyth County Association of Educators has advocated for a great, quality education for all students. School board race widens in Winston-Salem/Forsyth system I was an assistant principal at Southwest Elementary School in Clemmons. Teachers need to have protected planning time. I have a solid understanding of both the IT side and the accounting side. Steve Wood for Forsyth County School Board District 2 It is classified as a mid-sized city school district by the National Center for Education Statistics. No case for public education with current curriculum and safety issues. As a life long educator and advocate for public education, I feel it is our responsibility to provide all students with a quality education in our public school system. She retired last year but has continued teaching math as a private tutor. WSFCS Board of Education Candidate Responses, Allen Daniel, At-Large Steps to Becoming a Substitute. The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools Board of Education unanimously approved a calendar for the 2023-24 school year during their meeting last week.The district sent out surveys to stakeholders earlier this school year to see what changes they would like to see to the annual schedule. I especially support the innovative financing mechanisms that make options available to all children: education savings accounts, vouchers, and tuition tax credits. Republicans Leah Crowley and Lida Calvert-Hayes are the only Republicans running for re-election, as current board members Dana Caudill Jones and Marilyn Parker are stepping down after this term. Winston-Salem is a philanthropical community. As a board member I would like to meet with different students to hear their stories and struggles so I will be aware of current issues and prejudices that may be occurring in order to provide students with protections from bullying, Barr wrote. WS/FCS Board of Education to Hold Workshop on Tuesday, March 7, 2023 Comments (-1) Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools is Hiring. Brown-Gaither taught middle and high school mathematics in the district for 19 years. Published 12:10 am Thursday, November 3, 2022. administrative regulations, and School Board Policies. By safety, I am not talking just about external threats to our schools, but the fights and bullying within them.The biggest challenge facing our teachers is the lack of time, resources and support given them to do their one job, which is to teach. I thought about that. h***@sfcs.k12.nc.us. . Eleven of them attended a forum last week at R.J. Reynolds High School. Additionally, public education is a mirror, in terms of socioeconomics and diversity, of the world in which we live. Republican and former Reagan High School principal Stanley Elrod . Woodward, OK. Posted: February 22, 2023. If you dont use it, the Bb footer will slide up. WSFCS Board of Education unanimously approves 2023-24 school calendar The numbers are reflected in crime and violence reports per 1,000 CMS students increasing from 8.18 to 10.98 across the same time span. In her answer to a question about school security, Kaplan wrote about the importance of mental health. Meeting Minutes. How much further ahead would I be if I worked those Fridays and called them once at the end of the year? Kaplan is currently the chair of the WS/FCS Board of Education and was elected in 2018. All students are unique and different. There should be zero tolerance for bullying, or threatening behavior or language, by anyone associated with our schools toward anyone at any event associated with our schools.. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: SLP vacancies may change. Michael Hardman for Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools Board of Education The Appalachian State University Academy at Middle Fork, Blackboard Web Community Manager Privacy Policy (Updated). I have also been an advocate for the Latino community for many years, and I can make sure that we finally bridge the gap between our Latino community and our schools. Unfortunately, the problem needs to be addressed at the federal level with changes to policies that will change the public education system. My platform brings peace and stability to the teachers and staff so that they can focus on the students. He has owned and operated a software business, and taught high school math in the district for a year before retiring in 2017. by Tevin Stinson. My experience spans 30 plus years as an educator, various roles in the medical field and home care. If we can get our schools back to the basics for education, dismiss with the indoctrination and divisional teachings, respect the wishes of our parents concerning our kids' educational and health needs then I could make a great case for our public education system. Careers / WS/FCS Careers - Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools John Noble - Senior Service Desk Student Manager - LinkedIn You need to sign in or create an . WS/FCS Board of Education Meeting Broadcasts & Recordings, Weather Related School Closings or Delays, WS/FCS Blackboard Mass Notification System. 475 Corporate Square Drive WS/FCS Administrative Center. I really think this is something that needs to be done at home, he said. EDUCATION: Currently finishing an associate degree in applied science in criminal justice (youth offenders) and paralegal technologies. I want our teachers to have the authority to discipline children that are a disruption to the rest of the class. Here's a look at the candidates. Assisting in the selection of books, equipment and other instructionalmaterials.j. 4) Listen. After applying to this posting, please send your resume to Jackie Haywood, Director, Exceptional Children-Related and Itinerant Services, at jbhaywood@wsfcs.k12.nc.us. WS/FCS board of education voting on SROs | wfmynews2.com If It is working, then we must commit to it for the success of our students.3) What would you do as a member of the BOE to establish relationships with the schools and students outside of being present for all meetings?I pledge to visit schools to see the facilities as well to meet staff and students and to ask the questions: what are we doing well? For public schools, certain things are mandated by the state and the federal government to ensure that all children have equitable access to quality education. Richard Watts, At-Large, Democrat 1) Describe any experience you have in a public school environment, whether that be as a teacher, administrator, coach, staff member, current member of the school board, substitute teacher, PTA involvement, etc. Many students are years behind, and with class sizes what they are, teachers are not able to get them caught up. From what teachers have said to me is that they are never asked what they need or what they feel is important in helping them to be educators in the classroom. I am the original "back to basics" candidate. Other candidates said inclusivity shouldnt be the districts concern. SEL is the process through which all young people and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to develop healthy identities, manage emotions and achieve personal and collective goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain supportive relationships, and make responsible and caring decisions, the site states. My decisions are based on not only the data but the source of the data. Oct 16, 2022, The District 1 race for two seats on the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools board likely was settled in the May Democratic primary with incu, The political bent of the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools board appears likely to come down to which candidates win at-large seats in the, The main question involving the District 2 race for Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools is whether a lone Democratic challenger can secure on. We must provide teachers with support, respect, and eliminate the barriers that keep them from doing what we hired them to do, TEACH OUR STUDENTS! Information about the campaign of Stan Elrod for Forsyth County Board of Education It CAN be done. Daniel has two children who attend high school in the district. Hartsfield had board members say parts of the oath together to show unity. United Way Spirit Awards honor those 'passionate about making a difference' Published 3:01 pm Sunday, November 6, 2022. All students deserve a safe and nurturing learning environment without discrimination. EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in Spanish, UNC-G; master's of education degree, University of Southern California. It's about getting to the root of the problem. Most of the time, it is going to be more time, and more freedom, to teach what they know their students need. Math Teacher Job in Mineral Springs, AR at Winston-Salem/Forsyth County More. There are four District 2 board members on the nine-person board. 1. About. With the resources and opportunities that are available within the public schools, I think it is extremely important that our children are a part of the public school system so that we can strengthen what is needed to meet the needs of ALL our students where they will not have a need to look elsewhere for a good education. Shes also a mother of four, with two children attending school in the district, and two in Pre-K. The school board sets the tone for equity and inclusivity in our schools, through the policies we set, she wrote. Four of the candidates are Republican: Leah Crowley, Stanley Elrod, Steve Wood, and Robert Barr. You have permission to edit this collection. Daniel, on the other hand, said he no longer believes in exclusionary discipline, but that if a student is being disruptive, they may need to be in a more structured environment or in a classroom with a lower teacher-to-student ratio. I am a triple threat to the other candidates. 1. Contact. Address technical requirements, keeping abreast of State Board of Education policies Mark Batten - Executive Director of Community Engagement - LinkedIn Bohannon is a . Many have told me they cannot be openly conservative, they fear retaliation from their teacher and some classmates, Absher wrote. Lack of accountability and transparency. Both sides need to be restored.. Balance the budget, cut out wasteful spending and maintain a budget that is predictable and sustainable from year to year. I will listen to concerns and address those concerns. If you have questions regarding a position posted in TeacherMatch, contact the Human Resources Department at 336-727-2786 or by email staffing@wsfcs.k12.nc.us. Beyond that, the federal Education Department should create a national teacher licensing system. 2. Education First. News and public media do not highlight what teachers and administrators are doing behind the scenes to help students succeed. . I see what is happening in our schools, and if something doesnt change the path we are on, it worries me we are failing to serve our children well. See K.S.A. The lawsuits are part of a QAnon-approved tactic that has played out in other parts of the country. Relationships are vital at every level in the educational community, including students and parents. Our District is expanding access to various mental health agencies that focus on the different needs and concerns of our students, Kaplan wrote. Listen. However, they are not federally mandated to offer everything your family may need, such as bus transportation or access to school lunches. We should not allow differences among students, or between students and adults, to disrupt that instruction, Daniel wrote. If you have questions regarding a position posted in TeacherMatch, contact the Human Resources Department at 336-727-2786 or by email staffing@wsfcs.k12.nc.us. call the wsfcs technology help desk at 727-8300. important: although paystubs may appear in this system before the actual paydate, payroll funds will not be deposited into bank accounts until after 9:00am on the designated payday. A first step should always be to ask educators what they actually need. EDUCATION: High Point Central High School, Meredith College, UNCG, OCCUPATION: Chairwoman of the WS/FCS Board of Education. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Shallow Ford Foundation announces college and job training assistance programs for 2023, Titan Tattler: March will be a busy month at West Forsyth, Clemmons Fire Department receives upgraded insurance rating. Must work at least 30 working days, and up to 180 working days, to be eligible for hire. Whether it was providing a listening ear, or providing food, providing transportation, anything like that. Everyone deserves someone who sees you. . I will continue the anti-bullying initiatives and investigate areas of social emotional learning to support students, parents, and staffC: Community. All 9 seats are up for grabs on the Winston-Salem/Forsyth school board Jan. 5 marked the beginning of a new era for Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools. Public education is at the heart of creating a strong education system and democracy. EDUCATION: Associate degree in nursing and bachelor's degree in health administration. Published 12:10 am Thursday, November 3, 2022. Contact Us. Felicia Quick's Phone Number and Email Last Update. She wrote about the efforts the district is undertaking to promote inclusivity, including the strategic plan and the equity policy. 5 talking about this. I have experience as a prior student (1977 graduate of R.J. Reynolds Senior High School), as a parent (son, Lemuel, a 2017 graduate of R.J. Reynolds High School), as a recently retired teacher with 19 years of experience in the classroom as a HIGHLY QUALIFIED mathematics teacher on both the middle and high school level. Mineral Springs, AR. America needs teachers who are better trained to meet the needs of their students and who are willing to speak up and facilitate change. Instructor at Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools . Candidate for WS/FCS Board of Education 2022 And instead of asking our teachers what they need, and providing them the support staff to help them meet those needs, we introduce more silver bullet programs with more training for teachers.Another challenge facing all our staff, teachers and support staff alike, is the number of empty positions. Nine seats on the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools school board in North Carolina were up for general election on November 8, 2022. Among the five candidates on the ballot to represent District 2 on the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of Education is the name of Stan Elrod, who died unexpectedly on Oct. 25, just four days . Our older students have opportunities to follow education paths that will allow them graduate with not only a high school diploma but an associate degree or certificate that will allow them to go straight into the workforce if they choose. I am responsive to students, parents and staff. In addition, all voters may vote for at-large candidates. Please reach out to Jackie Haywood at jbhaywood@wsfcs.k12.nc.us for updated information on part-time and full-time vacancies. Contact. I was the principal of Kimberley Park Elementary, Julian Gibson Elementary School and Winston-Salem Preparatory Academy School. Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools Board of Education names new member. All students are equally important, he wrote. Not all candidates were given the chance to answer the questions at the forum, but they did provide written responses that were shared with attendees. My children have received excellent instruction, have access to multiple extracurricular opportunities, have made great friends, and have a deeper appreciation for people different from them. You can follow her on Twitter at @amydiaze. I've worked in the case management field for over 10 years, which has given me insight into the community resources that already exist and the policies in place that prevent individuals and families from being able to reach their fullest potential. Bohannon is seeking his first full term. When submitting a future application to Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools, you will need to create a new portfolio (application) in the WS/FCS ATS. user id password warning . That means setting an expectation of . With the overwhelming majority of the children within the county attending public schools, it makes our schools naturally heterogeneous. I was a classroom teacher at Wiley Middle School. WS/FCS allows students to experience a broad curriculum from Career Technical Education to Spanish immersion and a variety of options in between, as well as a diverse offering of extracurricular activities that you wont find in other school experiences. August 10, 2020 Board of Education Hearing Panel (Policy 4150) Meeting Minutes. Hardman is an engineer and works for a local construction company. It is possible that it could turn into a "complaint line," but I am sure there will be legitimate issues raised that perhaps we hadn't thought of, and that deserve to be addressed. They are expected to catch up students who are years behind, while, at the same time, providing food for those who are hungry, support for those who are hurting, and accelerated instruction for those who are thriving academically. Screening: Completed applications (must include proof of education and references) will be screened and candidates who are selected will receive an email invitation to attend a required virtual Substitute Workshop. The educational programming on Cable 2 includes news about schools, students, and staff. Teacher Assistant - MTSS Job in Woodward, OK at Winston-Salem/Forsyth We should set up an open line, a "hot line," if you will, where teachers can air out their ongoing challenges directly to the board and have them addressed in a timely manner. 32 years of education experience Awarded Principal of the Year twice 1984-1994 Teacher at Wiley Middle School 1994-1997. Chief Officer of Operations Lauren Richards says that the 398 [] I am not a politician. I want them to feel respected for the valuable and daunting responsibility of preparing our children for the future. My platform focuses on math, science, social studies, English, foreign language, physical education, economics. There was a problem saving your notification. One of the biggest things holding back the American public education system is a lack of teacher innovation, partially created by the enforcement of standardized testing and the Common Core curriculum. Some private schools and charter schools offer excellent curriculums, whether they be arts-based, faith-based, or with other specialties in mind. Alex Bohannon, who was appointed to the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools Board of Education to fill an unexpired term, has filed to run in the 2022 election. AMY DIAZ/WFDD. Teacher morale is very important for the success of our schools, and protecting teacher pay should be top priority for our board. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Shallow Ford Foundation announces college and job training assistance programs for 2023, Titan Tattler: March will be a busy month at West Forsyth, Clemmons Fire Department receives upgraded insurance rating. Public schooling also gave me opportunities to learn from students and families that were economically and socially diverse. Public schools should welcome all and provide equitable education to all because who are we to determine what 'mainstream' represents.. Make sure their pay is competitive, give them the support they need in their classrooms, and allow them to teach by reducing the number of local and state tests. July 16, 2020 Board of Education Meeting. Students cannot learn if they are not in school; but no student can learn in a chaotic environment. I do my research. I taught 14 years in Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools. Castillo grew up attending schools in the district and has worked in Winston-Salem as a social worker for more than 10 years. August 7, 2020 Board of Education Special Called Meeting. It is much more cost effective, and creates a far more positive learning environment for students and teachers, to address the safety issues and the lack of respect. My passion for students and the teaching profession has no bounds. My wife taught at Southwest Elementary, Sedge Garden and Prince Ibraham. Republican Stanley Elrod is top fundraiser in crowded WS/FCS Board of BOARD POLICY: All school employees will take appropriate action in reporting suspected abuse and/or neglect cases (physical and/or mental) to the proper authorities in accordance with State statutes. Mechanic III - Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools Transportation The board will need to provide greater security resources on school campuses. (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). All nine seats on the board are up for grabs, with just four incumbents Alex Bohannon, Leah Crowley, Lida Calvert-Hayes and Deanna Kaplan seeking another four-year term. $2,479/mo Teacher Assistant Job at Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools Employer: Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools Position Type: Teaching Categories: English Language Arts. Lastly, teachers should have two protected teacher workdays each quarter prior to when grades are due. In order to retain students in the public school system, WS/FCS must be competitive with private schools. Kindergarten Classroom Teacher job in Winston-Salem, NC, US with Winston Salem/Forsyth County Schools. 475 Corporate Square DriveWS/FCS Administrative Center. Money diverted to private schools and charter schools takes necessary funding away from public schools. Science Teacher | 2022-2023 School Year Start Date Both of our children graduated from the Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools. Alex Bohannon and Malishai Woodbury, who has chosen to run for the Forsyth County Board of Commissioners instead of another term on the school board, currently represent the district. The public school experience isnt perfect, but it is authentic and a truer reflection of the world they will navigate post-graduation. The teaching methods used decades ago do not work for the modern student. This question highlighted intra-party differences among the Republican candidates. For my family, public schools have been a great choice. Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools approves contract for - WFDD When our students finally returned to school after all the lockdowns, our teachers faced the extremely difficult task of having to re-socialize them to society and the school environment, all while keeping in accordance with the many new policies in place. Read More . Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools, North Carolina - Ballotpedia On Tuesday, Tabitha Hackett of Winston-Salem filed to run as a Republican . Active in church working with children for over 30 years. Read through the obituaries published today in Winston-Salem Journal. The Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools have policies that protect student diversity. We need a firm policy that sends disruptive students to an alternative setting, with the support they need to get back on track.I spoke to a middle school English teacher recently who said they calculated that they spend eight weeks every year assessing students; then we wonder why they are so far behind. The district served 54,707 students during the 2018-2019 school year and comprised 79 schools. Apply Now. Our school system should mirror the makeup of our society and be inclusive of all people regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, faith beliefs and more, she wrote. The lone Democratic candidate is Jennifer Castillo. Early voting for the election will be held from Oct. 20 to Nov. 5. In a written response, she wrote that all students should feel welcome at school regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation or any identity., I've become alarmed by the number of students I've talked to who feel they must keep their political and religious beliefs to themselves.