Let us briefly consider the important truths our Lord taught on sex and marriage. Now flee from youthful lusts, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart (2 Tim. Mohar is the cash gift the groom gives the bride, as Eliezer, Abraham 's servant, gave "precious things" to Laban, Rebecca 's father, and as Jacob gave seven years of service for the hand of Rachel.The great sage and the ketubah's most important . Christianity.com is a member of the Salem Web Network of sites including: Copyright 2023, Christianity.com. 42 One may wonder why only the husband is to leave his father and mother, and not the wife. The Egyptians worshipped gods created by their ancestors, but the Israelites kept their faith. Now when evening came David arose from his bed and walked around on the roof of the kings house, and from the roof he saw a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful in appearance. Our Lord is teaching us that we must, unlike our culture, take sexual sin most seriously. This is a point which the prophets of the Old Testament will take up and greatly expand upon in later times. Second, if we want the world to understand God's faithful love, we need to . What Does the Bible Say about Interracial Marriage? - Crosswalk.com Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, The Lord knows those who are His, and, Let everyone who names the name of the Lord abstain from wickedness. Now in a large house there are not only gold and silver vessels, but also vessels of wood and of earthenware, and some to honor and some to dishonor. In the Book of 1 Corinthians he focuses on illicit sexual union and its relationship to the believers union with Christ: Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? The husband and wife become one. Numbers 5A test is given to determine whether or not a wife has been unfaithful to her husband. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but love from the Lord is its completion. 4:11-12). We must begin by understanding that plucking out eyes and cutting off hands will not cure sin or assure us of keeping the Seventh (or any other) Commandment. In a divine vision, God said to Peter, What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy (Acts 10:15). In both cases, the forbidden fruit is forbidden. It can dull the mind, like wine, making one insensitive to reality (Hos. Prior to education, she worked in local and national television news for 13 years including positions as an overnight news anchor, reporter, and assignments editor at two local network affiliate stations. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another commits adultery (Matt. If these Jewish leaders condemned sins which were overtly wrong actions, Jesus chose to focus on those hidden sins which were attitudes. How many times have we heard that adultery breaks the marriage union, that is, that adultery (legitimately) causes divorce? I have heard it cruelly stated or implied that had a mate satisfied his or her partner in marriage, adultery would have been prevented. When God had created a mate for all of His other creatures, He looked upon Adam in his solitude and said, It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him (Gen. 2:18). God did send Moses and protected him from all of the death decrees that the Pharoah had implemented to keep them down (Exodus 3-10). Here we come to one of the very crucial implications of the sanctity of sex. Hence I have said to you, You are to possess their land, and I Myself will give it to you to possess it, a land flowing with milk and honey. I am the LORD your God, who has separated you from the peoples. Marriage, in Josephs understanding, was an exclusive relationship. He had promised Abraham that his descendants would become a great nation (Genesis 17). Yes, Marriage Matters to God. He can never divorce her as long as he lives. 1 "If a man who has married a slave wife takes another wife for himself, he must not neglect the rights of the first wife to food, clothing, and sexual intimacy. Get a first look at Shaun and Lea's wedding on. Exodus 2:21 - Bible Hub The Law pertaining to adultery also confirms the sanctity of marriage. Here, Davids immorality led to the additional sin of murder. Some people did not enter the promised land that God had promised to give them because of their disobedience. New Century Version Chapter Parallel The Mohar.The funds, called mohar, are so important that this clause is called ikkar ketubahthe basic part of the ketubah, or simply the ketubah. Now David called him, and he ate and drank before him, and he made him drunk; and in the evening he went out to lie on his bed with his lords servants, but he did not go down to his house (2 Samuel 11:1-13). Exodus 22:16-17 "If a man seduces a virgin who is not betrothed and lies with her, he shall give the bride price for her and make her his wife. Q. The book of Exodus not only tells some of the Bibles most famous events, but the word means something that sums up the books entire message. Leviticus 20Israel is not to play the harlot by consulting mediums or spiritists, but they are to consecrate themselves to the God of Israel, who sanctifies them (vss. Our sanctification cannot be expressed or realized apart from a radical change in our sexual conductthat is, a radical change in the way we conduct ourselves sexually, as contrasted with our former conduct and that of the pagan world around us. who does sean marry in exodusmichigan high school wrestling team rankings 2022. mosquito in french canadian; who does sean marry in exodus . It chronicles the story of their deliverance from four hundred years of bondage and how God sent Moses as an instrument of deliverance. The Bible is full of Israelite men marrying foreign women. Marriage, by Gods decree, is sanctified, it is a relationship that is set apart and restricted. It is very important for me to be precise in what I say here. For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let those who have already divorced and remarried remember that divorce and immorality (as all other sins save unbelief) is not an unpardonable sin. 1 Corinthians 7:1-6 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Not only did his master not give him authority over his wife, he could not have done so. To remove either is a drastic action (as, for example, one would do in the case of cancer). Sanctification is therefore one of the great, governing and guiding principles of the Word of God. Thus, when a divorce is granted due to adultery, a later marriage on the part of the innocent (that is, not guilty of adultery) party is not viewed to be adulterous. The answer to the question is in Exodus 22:17 - the woman does NOT have to marry a . How then could I do this great evil, and sin against God? And it came about as she spoke to Joseph day after day, that he did not listen to her to lie beside her, or be with her (Gen. 39:7-10). The covenant which God made with Israel on Mt. (2) While David enjoys all the luxuries of the palace, Uriah refused to enjoy them, even when urged on him. Abraham marries Keturah, who couldn't have been a daughter of Israel as Israel, Abraham's grandson was yet to have been born. The old dependent and submissive relationship of child to parent had to be set aside so that this unity of husband and wife could be established (v. 24). 1 Cor. When Moses was born (Exodus 2), he escaped this fate and became an instrument God used to deliver the children of Israel. 4:4), and holding the marriage bed in honor, keeping the marriage bed undefiled (Heb. Exodus 20:1-26 ESV / 16 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful. her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage shall he not diminish, Lo!, whether?, if, although, Oh that!, when, not, Verb - Qal - Imperfect - third person masculine singular, To scrape off, to shave, remove, lessen, withhold, Noun - masculine singular construct | third person feminine singular, Flesh, as living, for, food, food of any kind, kindred by blood, Noun - feminine singular construct | third person feminine singular, Conjunctive waw | Noun - feminine singular construct | third person feminine singular, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, OT Law: Exodus 21:10 If he takes another wife to himself (Exo. Those distinctions are spelled out in the Law, one of which is that of the maintenance of sexual and marital sanctity. Your sons have forsaken Me And sworn by those who are not gods. The Real Housewives of Atlanta The Bachelor Sister Wives 90 Day Fiance Wife Swap The Amazing Race Australia Married at First Sight The Real Housewives of Dallas My 600-lb Life Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Here, the church is the bride of Christ, with the responsibility of exemplifying the relationship of Christ to His church (Eph. And all the congregation blessed the LORD God of their fathers, and bowed down their heads, and worshipped the LORD, and the king. Fellowship. 10-21). Robert L. (Bob)Deffinbaugh graduated from Dallas Theological Seminary with his Th.M. Intimacy. You are therefore to make a distinction between the clean animal and the unclean, and between the unclean bird and the clean; and you shall not make yourselves detestable by animal or by bird or by anything that creeps on the ground, which I have separated for you as unclean. The Jewish Marriage Contract (Ketubah) - Chabad.org Ex). This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church (Eph. 44 In saying that sexual pleasure in marriage is one of Gods safeguards against immorality, I am not saying that the husband or wife who gives freely of themselves in a sexual way thereby guarantees the sexual purity of their partner. . In these verses the sin of David is contrasted against the backdrop of the devotion and discipline of Uriah. Uncovering the nakedness of a relative is prohibited (vss. Hands and eyes are involved as precipitating causes of immorality, however. It is also significant that He taught divorce causes adultery, except in the case where the divorce was based upon previous adultery. Understand they had been among people with idol gods. Most importantly, we must get in the Word of God and ask for Gods help. and that Jacob had obeyed his father and his mother and had gone to Paddan-aram. Harlotry, wine, and new wine take away the understanding. Let those who think this is an occasion or an excuse for sin read Romans chapter 6 very carefully. Exodus 22:16-17A man who seduces a virgin must marry her or pay the price of a virgins dowry. There are other instances of sexual immorality in Genesis, but let us turn our attention to the bright light of Josephs character, in contrast to that of his close relatives.43 Joseph was a young man, with all of the sexual desires of any other healthy male. Viewed from a contemporary secular perspective, sexual pleasure restricted only to marriage is a tragic waste, a failure to make full use of ones sexual potential, and thus to deprive oneself of a great deal of sexual pleasure. Thus, whatever one does, he does in union with Christ. Verse Concepts . 5:15-20). In Exodus 20:3, we read: You shall have no other gods before me. The nation Israel is kept apart from other nations by her time in Egypt, and in the plagues, the Israelites are distinguished from the Egyptians. Then David said to Uriah, Go down to your house, and wash your feet. And Uriah went out of the kings house, and a present from the king was sent out after him. So, the Egyptians devised a plan to set taskmasters over the Israelites and enslave them. The reproduction of life is that function which is carried out within the marriage union, according to Gods design and decree. The sexual immorality of Israel has defiled the people and the land, and necessitates their expulsion from the land. Judah marries Shu'a the Canaanite. For God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification (1 Thess. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water. The sexually immoral, such as the woman caught in the act of adultery, honestly acknowledged their sin, but the scribes and Pharisees were hypocritical, refusing to acknowledge their own self-righteousness. Thus you are to keep My charge, that you do not practice any of the abominable customs which have been practiced before you, so as not to defile yourselves with them; I am the LORD your GOD (Lev. (6) Though David was of the chosen seed, Uriah was but a Hittite. Dr. Sandra Hamer Smith is a Christian and wife to Sylvester Smith. I honestly believe that. For they will turn your sons away from following Me to serve other gods; then the anger of the Lord will be kindled against you and He will quickly destroy you. Furthermore, you shall not intermarry with them; you shall not give your daughters to their sons, nor shall you take their daughters for your sons. . After Joseph died, the children of Israel were numerous, a great nation. The Bible seems to teach that this union is not severed by anything but death, anything including divorce. Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again lest Satan tempt you because of your lack of self-control (1 Cor. Our culture is adamantly opposed to the sanctity of sex. He then immediately turns to our sanctification as it relates to our sexual conduct. Exodus 21:9 And if he chooses her for his son, he must deal with her as with a daughter. (3) The way to fully keep the Seventh Commandment is to view sexual sin as so serious (damning) that we are willing to take any measure required to prevent it. The opposite is true. When we consider what does Exodus mean? we reach the books core message. If we have accepted the principle of sanctification in general, we must then see it in the particulars of our Christian experience. When we thus honor marriage, we will see to it that the marriage bed, the blessing of sexual union, remains undefiled by sexual union outside of that marriage, which profanes. Drink water from your own cistern, And fresh water from your own well. 20. The Sanctity of Marriage (Exodus 20:14) | Bible.org 20:6). Just what is it that distinguishes a mans relationship with his wife from other relationships? Reproduction. And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water. We also can learn that sometimes we will wander in the wilderness until we get our acts together. Eph. And if your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out, and throw it from you; for it is better for you that one of the parts of your body perish, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. Israel remained in the wilderness for forty years. The sin of adultery is dealt with so severely because it is a violation of the sanctity of the marriage which God has ordained and set apart. For whoever does any of these abominations, those persons who do so shall be cut off from among their people. The Net Pastors Journal, Eng. I would suggest that the four things which set a marriage apart from other relationships are the very four things which distinguish a Christians relationship with his Lord and with His body, the church. The third chapter of the Book of Genesis is significant to our study as well. When we leave the gospels of the New Testament and come to the epistles, there is a change which we should recognize and appreciate. Will God forgive me for losing hope and the will to live? First, we move from a Jewish to a Gentile culture. 51:4) and New, adultery is, first and foremost, a sin against God. As I see it, the issue in Exodus 21 is two-fold, involving not only marriage, but slavery. As a loving hind and a graceful doe, Let her breasts satisfy you at all times; Be exhilarated always with her love. Second, in order to avoid the evils of sex, we need to minimize our exposure to those things which only stimulate lustful thoughts and sexual temptations. Consider, for a moment, how that forbidden fruit (whatever it might have been) is similar to the forbidden fruit of illicit sex. Away from his family, perhaps never again to return to his own people, how easy it would have been for him to succumb to the advances of his masters wife: And it came about after these events that his masters wife looked with desire at Joseph, and she said, Lie with me. But he refused and said to his masters wife, Behold, with me around, my master does not concern himself with anything in the house, and he has put all that he owns in my charge. Exodus 21:10 - Bible Hub Finally, sexual purity is vitally important to the Christian life because it is directly related to ones sanctification: For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God; and that no man transgress and defraud his brother in the matter because the Lord is the avenger in all these things, just as we also told you before and solemnly warned you. What is it that makes sexual purity so important to the New Testament saint, who is not an Israelite, but a member of the church, the body of Christ? The children of Israel did all work in the field as well. Dr. Smith primarily teaches language arts. Israels sexual conduct set them apart from the Egyptians and the Canaanites. Furthermore, there must be a distinction drawn between what is personally permissible and what is detrimental to others (cf. (3) Joseph understood that, more than anything else, adultery was a sin against God. 34:7). First, I believe that a Christian has the right to divorce a spouse for adultery, but that this is never ones duty, and seldom ones highest calling. Some died on the spot for murmuring and complaining about Moses (Numbers 16:33). But this does not take the Law far enough, as our Lord must continually point out to His listeners, and to His literalistic opponents, the scribes and Pharisees. Their people have been under the foot of the Egyptians for four hundred years. Num. I would suggest that the categories of unity, intimacy, reproduction, and fellowship are four specific benchmarks of the quality of our marriages, and thus four specific areas for concentrated effort. We must remember that those who teach and lead are held to higher accountability (James 3:1). But if they marry one of the sons of the other tribes of the sons of Israel, their inheritance will be withdrawn from the inheritance of our fathers and will be added to the inheritance of the tribe to which they belong; thus it will be withdrawn from our allotted inheritance. Sexual sin has very serious theological implications. 5:27-32). Joseph ended up in Egypt away from his family and did not understand until decades later when his brothers came to Egypt why all these events occurred (Genesis 50:20). Mount Sinai, from which God spoke to Moses and the Israelites, was sanctified, set apart. The word Exodus came from the Latin exodos and was adopted as the books title when the Bible was translated into Latin. In my opinion, the rampant sexual immorality of our day is not primarily the result of greater temptation, of increased sexual desire, of greater opportunity, or even of the availability of the pill and abortion. So now do not give your daughters to their sons nor take their daughters to your sons, and never seek their peace or their prosperity, that you may be strong and eat the good things of the land and leave it as an inheritance to your sons forever.. (2) Jesus thus teaches here that attitudinal sins precede sins of action (cf. Marriage As Covenant - For Your Marriage Why Did Pharaoh Tell Joseph to Enjoy the 'Fat of the Land'? At other times, we are tempted to call clean what God has called unclean. One of the most important decisions the Christian can make is to rightly distinguish between the holy and the unholythe see what God has sanctified and what He has not. It is crucial to study the book of Genesis to understand Exodus. Third, we must beware of that teaching (either by direct statement or by inference, or by silence) which holds that any and every sexual pleasure can be enjoyed by a married couple behind closed doors. And I will destroy her vines and fig trees, Of which she said, These are my wages Which my lovers have given me. And I will make them a forest, And the beasts of the field will devour them (Hos. While I have cited only a portion of this important paragraph (vss. Leviticus 18 and 20 emphasize the defiling nature of adultery, and warn that the practice of such sins will defile the land and will result in expulsion from the land, just as the Canaanites were expelled (cf. but the scene where Cecilia says goodbye to Sean in Exodus literally broke me. Throughout the Bible, God sets certain things apart; He restricts their use; He sanctifies them. They made their lives miserable with hard labor (Exodus 1). (5) Divorce causes adultery. Now when they told David, saying, Uriah did not go down to his house, David said to Uriah, Have you not come from a journey? For He says, the two will become one flesh. But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him. The Bible speaks otherwise. 19:9). Sexual sin is also related to religious apostasy (cf. It did not look bad, it did not taste bad. Not only was this event crucial for the . Exodus 32:27. There are many things and situations where people make an exodus. Lev. God is not a fan of bondage or suffering. In order to do this, Christians must be holy, sanctified, just as God is holy (1 Peter 1:14-16). Answer. It is God who brought Adam and Eve together as husband and wife. For why should you, my son, be exhilarated with an adulteress, And embrace the bosom of a foreigner? That is a topic for another article. In 1 Thessalonians chapter 4 Paul says that the will of God is for us to be sanctified. This union is set apart, it is to be distinct from the previous relationship of parent and child. 15:19). michigan state coaching staff; For a Christian to engage in sexual intercourse with a harlot puts two unions in conflict: his union with Christ and his union with a harlot. The apostle Paul has the most to say of the apostles on the subject of sexual purity. The word exodus literally means "the road out". Sexual intercourse with a harlot, contrary to popular thought, is no casual matter, it is a union as well. Fornication is also applied symbolically in the Bible to the sins of idolatry and apostasy, or the abandoning of God. Not to mention, the Israelites were a faithful people who believed in God. These three texts provide us with the essence of our Lords teaching on adultery and sexual immorality. 5:28-32). This was now accomplished. Community answers are sorted based on votes. Bob was born and raised in a Christian home i More. Finally, we shall attempt to distill the biblical teaching into a few guiding and governing principles. Genesis 31:38-40 This twenty years have I been with thee; thy ewes and thy she goats have not cast their young, and the rams of thy flock have I not eaten, Philippians 4:11,12 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content, Exodus 4:20-25 And Moses took his wife and his sons, and set them upon an ass, and he returned to the land of Egypt: and Moses took the rod of God in his hand, Exodus 18:2-6 Then Jethro, Moses' father in law, took Zipporah, Moses' wife, after he had sent her back, . He did not permit man to use it. It also assured the integrity of the home and a righteous seed, through whom the Redeemer would come. who does sean marry in exodus | Future Property Exhibiitons It was Gods will to use Joseph as a forerunner to prepare the children of Israel for what was next (Genesis 45:7-9). She is the author of the self-published novel GLORYTHE HAIR. This may be a matter of personal conviction, over which there is some disagreement, but marriage does not make every sexual practice holy. For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh.