Can you tell if your pregnant on Nexplanon? So even though taking the Pill might "save" a few eggs, it will have an insignificant effect on future fertility. In some cases, the rod can migrate from its original position and require costly surgical extraction. Its totally safe to not get a period while youre on the implant. They may be able to give you more specific information about what to expect based on your personal medical history. It is a small, plastic rod about the size of a matchstick that is inserted under the skin of your upper arm. In a month or two, your regular cycle may completely disappear. Nexplanon is a flexible, etonogestrel-containing, rod that is implanted within the inner side of your upper arm and that provides reliable contraception for up to three years. When you visit the site, Dotdash Meredith and its partners may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Myth 5: Getting the implant will hurt. 2019 - 2022 wholesomealive.com. So if you stop using the implant but you dont want to get pregnant, make sure to use another birth control method. Please don't check this box if you are a human. Nexplanon may be less effective if you are overweight. No doubt, nexplanon is beneficial, yet it has many side effects other than getting pregnant. There could be a copay for the implantation and removal. Think before you speak. PLEASE HELP!!! 7. Not currently using the Implanon/Nexplanon arm implant. Affiliate Disclosure & DisclaimerContact page Abstract. Progestin hormone cannot let the eggs leave your ovaries or prevent ovulation, so there will be no egg to fertilize. Dawn Stacey, PhD, LMHC, is a published author, college professor, and mental health consultant with over 15 years of counseling experience. When you an implant, then you are using a birth control option which contains only one hormone. Talk with your healthcare provider to learn about your personal risks. There are many lifestyle and health benefits to consider when deciding to use Nexplanon. It contains 68 mg of etonogestrel which is dispersed in an ethylene vinyl acetate membrane. Indeed, the Nexplanon is among the most convenient and reliable birth control methods. As you may guess, twin pregnancies are considered high risk on their own. I had a few tests have a faint line show up about 30 mins after taking a test and then Id start my period very heavily and negative. Other possible side effects that arent as common include: Pain or bruising on your arm where the implant was inserted, An infection where the implant was inserted. This number steadily declines for the next 50 years. The human body can push out foreign objects at times, and Nexplanon is no exception. Now some people say that, when on Nexplanon, we have "no real periods" just irregular bleeding (which I've been having a lot since November 2022, when I got my implant). I dont wanna lose my baby if i have one. Therefore you cannot get pregnant if the eggs are not released. Unlike some forms of hormonal contraception, fertility returns quickly once you stop using Nexplanon, often within 14 days. a week ago my nipples started to hurt and I became constipated , but havent had any bleeding. Fewer than 1 in 100 women will become pregnant each year when they are using an implant form of birth control. To make sure Nexplanon is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have ever had: diabetes . . Women also sometimes experience pain, bruising, or swelling at the site of the insertion. Between our trained sexual health educators or chat bot, we can answer your questions about your sexual health whenever you have them. I've had the Nexplanon implant for 3 years now and I'm getting it removed this week. With typical use, 1 of every 100 women who use Nexplanon for a year will become pregnant. That will help to reduce some of the swelling that happens over time. You must do a routine pregnancy test before insertion to ensure that you are not pregnant. Even when you have employer-based coverage, the cost of this procedure and the office visit dont usually fall into the deductible category. Most insurance options will cover Nexplanon. For many women, the bruise becomes a deep shade of purple which can be sore to the touch. Nexplanon, which is also known as the birth control implant, is one of the most effective types of hormonal contraceptives currently available.Once it's correctly in place, the birth control implant is over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy for up to four years, making it more effective than the birth control patch, ring, or injection.And it has less of a commitment than an intrauterine . Filed Under: Medical Articles and Infographics, 2023 HealthResearchFunding.org - Privacy Policy, 14 Hysterectomy for Fibroids Pros and Cons, 12 Pros and Cons of the Da Vinci Robotic Surgery, 14 Pros and Cons of the Cataract Surgery Multifocal Lens, 11 Pros and Cons of Monovision Cataract Surgery. NEXPLANON (etonogestrel implant). NEXPLANON must be inserted by the expiration date stated on the packaging. Here are the Nexplanon pros and cons to consider if you feel like an implant is the right form of birth control to meet your needs. To maintain effectiveness, Nexplanon should be replaced after every 3 years. I was bleeding off and on for about 2months prior to the removal, but have not had a period yet. If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, have high cholesterol, or have a seizure disorder, then Nexplanon may be recommended by your doctor with caution. Hi, I just got my implant removed September 26, 2018. Dr Fred Kavalier answers your health question: The combined contraceptive pill - which contains oestrogen and progestogen - works by preventing the ovaries from releasing eggs. Between our trained sexual health educators or chat bot, we can answer your questions about your sexual health whenever you have them. I have been taking the combined pill for a couple of years, and my question is, if the Pill suppresses the release of an egg, do the eggs get stored up to be used at a later date? For some women, menstrual bleeding might stop altogether. Remove the top bandage after 24 hours, but leave the smaller bandage on for 3 to 5 days. Women who get pregnant while using birth control may notice the following signs and symptoms: a missed period. Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in, Find your bookmarks in your Independent Premium section, under my profile. If you dont have insurance, you must factor in the cost. If the implant is inserted improperly you may be able to become pregnant. 5. If you are covered by healthcare insurance, there is a good chance that Nexplanon is part of your benefits. Removal complications can also occur if the rod was improperly placed. She felt unwell and had experienced recent heavy bleeding in place of the initial amenorrhoea. So if you dont want to get pregnant, make sure you use another method of birth control (like condoms). The hormones in the birth control implant may cause side effects in some people, but this doesnt happen to everyone many people use the implant with no problems at all. When eggs arent released, you cant get pregnant. It also changes the lining of your uterus. The rod releases the hormone progestin into the bloodstream, which prevents your ovaries from releasing eggs and prevents sperm from reaching the eggs. The implant can prevent pregnancy for as long as three years. Braun-Courville, D. K., & Romano, M. E. (2016). Serious problems with Nexplanon are rare but most often occur if the rod is placed incorrectly. Because it is easier to use than other options, such as rings, patches, pills, or condoms, your level of protect never waivers because it is always present in your arm. And they are free and confidential. Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code or city or state. 8. The hormone in Nexplanon is known as progestin, and it can stop pregnancy by preventing your ovaries from releasing eggs. Have regular monthly periods. The implant may cause side effects for some people, but they usually go away after a few months. By Dawn Stacey, PhD, LMHC Can Nexplanon be taken while breastfeeding? This is also nothing to be concerned about. The hormones in the implant stop an egg from being released by the ovary. No, you cannot get pregnant while using nexplanon birth control. And you can keep track of any potential side effects with our birth control app. Side effects arent always a bad thing many people use the implant because some of the side effects can be really helpful. The entire process for the implant takes less than 30 minutes. Implantable devices offer convenient, long-acting, and reversible contraception. The implant is not causing you to become pregnant and then miscarrying. By comparison, it may take up to a year for fertility to return after stopping Depo-Provera, another long-term contraceptive method. A contraceptive implant is a small, flexible rod about the size of a matchstick. So if the implant causes you to gain weight, that should stop shortly after having the implant removed. Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies. How Effective Are Combined Contraceptive Injections? If you dont have insurance, go to a local planned parenthood. About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features NFL Sunday Ticket Press Copyright . Complications If you feel the pregnancy symptoms while on Nexplanon, first take a pregnancy test to know whether you are actually pregnant or not. Chevreau, J., Krief, D., Arab, O. Hi Alex, congrats for staying protected at such a young age. Answer. A single, thin rod measuring 1.6 inches long, about the size of a matchstick, Nexplanon is discreet. On average, the egg has 24 hours to be fertilized before it is no longer viable. Although it is an effective contraceptive method, still it can cause many adverse effects, such as the formation of blood clots, liver diseases, severe depression, breast tenderness, irregular menstrual periods, and many more. 2. Menstrual bleeding patterns may suddenly occur more frequently, with longer or shorter bleeding experienced during your period or no bleeding occurring at all. Nexplanon can, in effect, amplify symptoms of PMS and your menstrual period by making their symptoms worse. The new preloaded device can be operated with one hand, making it easier for a healthcare provider to implant the rod accurately and without assistance. Nexplanon differs from its predecessor Implanon in a number of key ways. With Nexplanon, healthcare providers can usean X-ray or ultrasound to confirm the rod has been correctly placed and easily locate it when it is time for removal. vaginal itching or discharge; acne, mood changes, weight gain; back pain, menstrual cramps; nausea, stomach pain; breast pain; headache, dizziness; or. You must practice safe sex techniques to reduce your risk of experiencing a sexually transmitted infection or disease while having intercourse. I believe your Doctor wouldnt prescribe you a certain kind of birth control if they didnt think it would be right for you! Nexplanon doesn't protect against STDs. Always check to see how your visit will be classified, as some surgeries may require you to clear your healthcare insurance deductible before the maximum benefit is provided. If you should become pregnant while using Nexplanon, there is a slightly higher risk of experiencing a pregnancy which occurs outside the womb when compared to women not taking a birth control product. Please enter a valid 5-digit zip code or city or state. Nexplanon does not protect someone from sexually transmitted diseases. Sometimes there can be irritation, infection, or scarring where the tube was placed. In fact, if you'd like to take birth control while breastfeeding, a progestin-only option like Nexplanon is the safest choice. Help us improve - how could this information be more helpful? Other common side effects of Nexplanon include: 3 Headaches Vaginitis Weight gain Acne Breast pain Abdominal pain Sore throats Less common side effects have also been reported, including increased appetite, mood swings, decreased sex drive, dizziness, nausea, hot flashes, hair loss, fatigue, and increased blood pressure . What kind of medication is Nexplanon for women? 6. During conception, the egg is fertilized in the fallopian tube and then travels along the tube to make its way into the uterus. The birth control implant (AKA Nexplanon) is a tiny, thin rod about the size of a matchstick. This issue may cause serious internal bleeding and infertility. Even though it is the most effective way to control birth, it may fail if it is not used correctly. So if you think the implant makes you gain weight and this bothers you, or if you notice other side effects that you dont like, talk with a nurse or doctor (like the ones at your closest Planned Parenthood health center). 2. A contraceptive implant sitting on a young woman's inner upper arm near the elbow in the position where it would be inserted. Dawn Stacey, PhD, LMHC, is a published author, college professor, and mental health consultant with over 15 years of counseling experience. The combined contraceptive pill - which contains oestrogen and progestogen - works by preventing the ovaries from releasing eggs. A healthy woman will normally release one or two eggs from the ovaries every month between puberty and her menopause. That occurs because your body gets used to the higher hormone levels. Planned Parenthood delivers vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information to millions of people worldwide. There is very little chance to experience pregnancy symptoms while on nexplanon. The implant releases hormones into your body that prevent you from getting pregnant. It is not visibly noticeable, but you may feel it if you run your fingers over your skin. Spotting 7 Days Before Period: Why It Happens & What, Similac Sensitive vs. Pro-Sensitive: Which Formula is Right for Your, Sleep Soundly: Discovering the Best Alternatives to the DockATot. The timing of the insertion of nexplanon is important. The implant must be removed by the end of the third year and may be replaced by a new implant at the time of removal, if continued contraceptive protection is desired. Nexplanon helps in reducing period cramps and pain. Nexplanon, however, may be less effective when combined with certain medicines. Speak with your doctor about these advantages and disadvantages to determine if this implant is the right option for you. Actually, my sisters friend got it taken out at the end of November last year and 5 days later she was prego. This hormone effectively prevents the release of an egg from the ovary in order to prevent pregnancy from happening, and is 99% effective. However, there could be side effects for some, including mood swings or depression, abdominal or back pain, decreased libido, headaches, dizziness, and sore breasts. 2012;120(1):2126. Conditions like ectopic pregnancy, cryptic pregnancy, and later-state pregnancy can cause wrong results.