People have talked about filling his shoes, but I dont look at it that way. As a truck traveling down Highway 31 lost its brakes and barreled through an intersection, those three lives were cut short in a tragic event that still shakes the entire community when it . Vestavia Hills' Hoke Smith (74) celebrates a score against Hoover with Randall Stokes in a 2019 file photo. He takes over a Northridge program that Mike Vickery rebuilt before leaving for Pelham. Thomas Rush Propst (born December 1957) is a high school football coach who currently serves as athletic director and associate football coach at Coosa Christian School in Gadsden, Alabama. 18. In any given day we were arguably with our coaches more than our parents, so its really important to have a coach you can see as a father figure., My own son played for Coach Anderson and never missed a single one of those FCA meetings. All rights reserved (About Us). Calhoun previously served as offensive coordinator for two seasons at Colquitt County High School in south Georgia. The team held an undefeated record over both seasons and won back-to-back state championships. His record as a head football coach for the past 43 years at Vestavia Hills High School is 346-160 with two state football championships. Propst's Hoover team was one of the top-ranked teams in the United States over much of the first decade of the new millennium, winning Alabama High School Athletic Association Class 6A state championships in five of the first six seasons including four consecutive titles from 2002 to 2005 (missing out on 6 straight after losses in the championship game to Daphne in 2001 and Prattville in 2006). Sean Calhoun and his family finally are making Vestavia Hills their home. One is senior offensive lineman Hoke Smith, he said. Madoline, editor of Homewood Life, is always on the hunt for a good meal and an even better story. [18][19] In 2013, Colquitt finished 11-3 after losing 14-9 to the eventual state champions, Norcross High School, in the state semifinal game. Pinson Valley coach Lee Guess directs his team during 7-on-7 football action at Samford University in Homewood, Ala., Tuesday, June 28, 2022. Thomas Rush Propst (born December 1957) is a high school football coach who currently serves as athletic director and associate football coach at Coosa Christian School in Gadsden, Alabama. We are thrilled to have Robert and his wife Anne on the Vestavia Hills team, Freeman said today. Sean Calhoun and his family finally are making Vestavia Hills their home. And I know that Buddy Anderson will carry on making a difference in the lives of young people. I told them I cant be the guy who wants to win more than they do. Ben Blackmon won another. In a 30-minute address to the board and a large crowd inside the board chambers, Propst tearfully admitted to a relationship outside his marriage and a child as a result of that relationship, but no other wrongdoing. Claim this team Ways you can help Make an impact on this team, and help keep MaxPreps up-to-date. We aim to promote learning without limits. VESTAVIA HILLS, Ala. The Vestavia Hills Board of Education on Wednesday approved the hiring of Sean Calhoun as the new head football coach at Vestavia Hills High School. VHHS Athletics. Mine was a calling, and maybe somebody else is going into it for other reasons. He takes over an Enterprise that has been a fairly consistent winner but hasnt had much playoff success. People do know were hard-nosed. Anderson had just seven losing seasons three in the past 10 seasons, although two of last years six setbacks were forfeits due to COVID-19 protocols. 5. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). 7. "Coach Anderson had an amazing career and is an amazing man, and I look forward to meeting with him and learning from him so we can continue to grow this program.". Shelby County Newspapers, Inc. The Valdosta State Blazers won the NCAA Division II National Championship in 2007 while Calhoun served as a running backs coach. (Dennis Victory | preps@al.com). 2017 Season Highlights. [10] Propst's base salary at Hoover was $100,678. A whole lot. Coach, Defensive Line/Strength and Conditioning Coordinator, Varsity Head Coach - Swim and Dive & Men's Tennis, Varsity Head Coach - Women's Tennis, Asst. (Dennis Victory | preps@al.com)Dennis Victory | preps@al.com, The mindset I had was that I needed some Alabama guys who were not previously here, Calhoun said. (Ironically, Ford had previously advocated in a Gazette column that Propst be hired to fill the then-vacant head coach position at the University of Alabama at Birmingham). Morson hired Brett Mask away from Colbert County to be his offensive coordinator and has one of the states top recruits on his roster in Alabama commit Jahlil Hurley. The Wildcats havent advanced past the second round since 1993. Life is like football, he told me. Stadium: Reynolds Stadium, Buddy Anderson Field. Vestavia Hills, AL 35216. As usual, the high school football offseason has been filled with coaching changes throughout the state maybe more than most years. But youve got to care about the kids. Vestavia Hills superintendent Todd Freeman, Ed.D., described Evans as a man of character, a committed educator, and a brilliant football coach. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. They also face a brutal Region 2 schedule that includes Auburn, Central-Phenix City, Opelika and Prattville among others. Baseball Adam Moseley amoseley@hoover.k12.al.us (256) 348-5442. Sadly, it would be their last. We now have834teams & 188,070games on AHSFHS.org. It was something the kids needed to be exposed to for various reasons, he said. Football Staff Vestavia Hills Football Staff Players (99) Staff (2) Robert Evans Head Coach Are you the coach? VHSC Academy Staff U8-U11. Any games that the five players played in were forfeited. Under his tenure as athletic director of the Vestavia Hills High School athletic program the sports teams have won over 45 state championships, and numerous runner-up trophies in all boys and girls sports. Athletic Trainer David Beland dbeland@hoover.k12.al.us (256) 604-9948. His Rebel teams won 16 area and region championships, and made 31 state playoff appearances. The Mustangs went 9-3 in 2021. He led Fayetteville (Tenn.) High to the 2020 Class 1A state title and compiled a 34-4 record in three seasons there. In 1998, Propst coached Alma Bryant High School, the school that resulted from Alba's merger with the high school in Grand Bay, Alabama. (Fayetteville High School photo). I called him a lot and visited him several times picking his brain for football advice. Vestavia Hills Magazineis publishedquarterly by He graduated from Jacksonville State in 1981 with a degree in Physical Education. One of them, Jeff Segars, took over as the schools athletic director in 2015 from Anderson, who started in the role in 1981. [27], Propst came under further scrutiny when Hanceville High School complained to the Alabama High School Athletic Association that a former player of theirs, Tristan Purifoy, did not transfer properly to Hoover High and was therefore ineligible. He is definitely in a league of his own. His brother, Philip was a star on that team. He previously served eight years as a linebackers coach and defensive coordinator at Hoover High School and spent time at Oak Mountain, Spanish Fort, and UAB. [26] Among the findings were that Propst's bank records indicated support for a "second family" in Pell City, Alabama, but the incidents regarding grade-changing were largely caused by an assistant principal and an administrator. Since the early 70s, on Wednesday nights his house has been full of athletes who want to learn more about God. Other notable hires: Ham Barnett, St. Pauls; Markus Cook, Vigor; Derone Fagan, Sidney Lanier; Hugh Fountain, W.S. Newton had spent four years in that position for Hartselle after leaving Mountain Brook. Explore the benefits. [30], At a special meeting of the Hoover Board of Education on October 30, 2007, Propst announced that he would resign, but would continue to coach the team as far as they progress in the 2007 playoffs. [33] He appealed [34] and was instead given a reprimand. Vestavia Hills High School. Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. [22] Bishop originally announced that there was nothing to be concerned about, but Craig overruled Bishop and announced that a full investigation would be carried out, to be headed by former federal judge Sam C. Pointer, Jr.[23][24]. Coach, Head Coach - 7th Men's Basketball, Men's Golf, Head Coach - 8th Women's Volleyball, 7th Women's Basketball. They are looking for a group. Propst continued to deny the allegations. fv. While the school was distraught, they had to carry on. In February, 1978, assistant Buddy Anderson became Head Coach Buddy Anderson. His Rebel teams won 16 area and region championships, and made 31 state playoff appearances. "His values and commitment to excellence are aligned with those of our school system and community. Mask added to his Hall of Fame resume with a dominant decade at St. Pauls in Mobile. He was signed as a tight end but ended up playing tackle for the Bulldogs. VHHS is part of the Vestavia Hills City School District with approximately 1,800 students and 21 varsity sports. Coach Anderson was such a great high school coach not only because of his coaching ability but because he cared more about the men he was raising by coaching them, he says. Thats where he bonds with the players and really connects with them. Hes just so versatile. Competition is not something I shy away from and that this team wont shy away from. That was a big weight off our shoulders. Josh Niblett followed with six state titles in 14 years. Smith returns to The Hill after having spent four years as an assistant there under current UAB coach Bryant Vincent from 2007-2010. RELATED: Waldrop embracing Bucs tradition, Former Eufaula coach Ed Rigby has been named head football coach at Pike Road. I wanted my players and this community to know that that is big for me and my family. Coach, Assistant Athletic Director - Pizitz, Head Coach - 7th Football, 8th Women's Basketball, Assistant Athletic Director - Pizitz, Head Coach - Pizitz Wrestling, Varsity Head Coach - Men's Golf, Asst. Jones insisted that the apology was unwarranted, saying that Ford's story was solid and that the evidence was irrefutable. youtube.com. John Ross Ashley is a senior free safety, Calhoun said. However, in Propst's last game as Hoover's head coach, they lost in the third round to another crosstown rival Vestavia Hills 21-17, a game considered by many Alabama sportswriters to be the biggest rivalry in the state. Free self-guided test prep materials through the VHHS Library. During his tenure at Hoover, Propst was a frequent target of critics. We call Andrew Animal and Lane is Hawk. I dont know if they really know who those Road Warriors are. The Toros have won four state championships since 2010. And probably not as many as Hewitt-Trussville and Hoover. 1Rebel Athletics. [1] He is also the former head coach at Colquitt County High School in Moultrie, Georgia, Hoover High School in Hoover, Alabama, and Valdosta . Coach Anderson says that those FCA camps helped to keep their marriage strong for decades, and its also where he got the idea to start an FCA group in his home. David Lundberg will coach the offensive line and serve as running game coordinator. Also, parents dont need to make it all better all the time. John Rodgers will coach linebackers after working with Newton in Hartselle and Vestavia alumnus and former Spain Park assistant Patrick Bonovitch will coach running backs. After Buddy Anderson won 346 games in 43 years, Vestavia Hills has now had two coaching changes in as many seasons. He also was the first coach in Park Crossing history, winning 38 games in just four years and taking the team to the 6A semifinals in 2016. If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. He will lead our football program into the future with the integrity that has been the foundation of our program. He is an emotional leader who is great in the locker room. Basketball, Boys' RECRUIT VESTAVIA and 3 others. A meet-and-greet event for Robert and his wife Anne Evans will be held on Monday, Jan. 17 at 6 p.m. at Vestavia Hills High School. VESTAVIA HILLS SOCCER CLUB OFFICE 1973 Merryvale Road Vestavia Hills, AL 35216 (205) 978-0182 Robert Evans is the new Vestavia Hills football coach. Hes been the teams defensive coordinator for six years under Dedrick Sumpter and then Melvin Pete Jr. Coleman has brought back several former Williamson and Mobile prep stars to join his staff, including Jamarcus Russell and Sherman Williams. RELATED: DuBose confident in Orange Beachs future. He graduated college in 1972 with high expectations for a coaching career but when no offers came his way he returned to Samford to obtain his Masters degree. That excites me because now we get to see how good our preparation is. The DVD outlines the steps to build a successful gridiron program, including the preparation and responsibilities of a coaching staff including the importance of building a booster club.[41].