Were like a family. Buy newspaper front pages, posters and more. The only problem was that a number of coaches at prominent football schools have not met him. Soccer Shots Sacramento North hiring Youth Soccer Coach in Citrus Try a week on us. Harsin hadnt been to Thompson. Jaidens a very talented player, Baker said. Jaiden Thompson takes flight last week against Shelby Crest. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). PORTSMOUTH Aquidneck Island native and Portsmouth resident Keith MacDonald vividly remembers how he got his first football coaching job. Griffin Middle School squad. Pinson Valley often has talent (see: Bo Nix). I was always that guy growing up that you could negative motivate me. Heck, if theres anything more important to him than his biological family, its this group of guys and their coaches. The Warriors finished 12-1 in 2017, losing in the semifinals of the Class 7A State Football Playoffs. When Harsin visited Mars Hill, he was targeting three-star offensive lineman Koby Keenum, who playsa position of priority for Auburns 2023 class. As does Thompson now. You need to go to a private school (to get recruited better). I was like, Why would I go anywhere? AL.com requested salaries from all coaches in the Metro Birmingham area this past spring. And it was Bethel who introduced him to the Vertimax, a machine designed to improve jumping ability. "This is going to be a great day for our kids,' Alabaster City Schools Superintendent Dr. Wayne Vickers said. He has his second chance, but his recruiting remains an urgent issue. AUBURN The message was inspirational to the kid and an aphorism for Auburn football coach Bryan Harsin, summing up his underdog recruiting mentality. I look forward to things to come. He began at Thompson in the fall of 2015. A lot of people thought Oh you just got a great coach. Always appreciate that when (coaches) don't just slip in the back door and see a kid and get out. Now, reaching the 30-win plateau -- in ONE season is the standard. Tournament Game. Freeman, an Alabama graduate, attended Bessemer Academy and has maintained a home in the McCalla area. Highland Home coach Will Pouncey hasnt seen Harsin visit, but he said Auburns assistants have had consistent contact. Ogden High football coach Erik Thompson not letting his battle - KSL DS David Simone Team 8-3 - Language Arts. Coach Freeman led the Rebels to four State Championships in 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2007. Highland Home has been a revolving door of head coaches visiting Faulk, including Tennessees Josh Heupel. He also served as the Athletic Director at Bessemer Academy. Fegans laughs with a nod at that description. How well Harsin capitalizes on it can decide his future with the Tigers. Thompson Warrior: Sloth Nationzz AHSFHS Master Researcher. Win those battles, keep as many people home, and love, love, love on those high school coaches. That facility will also come with a new football stadium. Ronnie Thompson (American football) - Wikipedia He even referenced the model set by former Cox Mill star Wendell Moore Jr., who led the Chargers to back-to-back state titles before going on to shine at Duke and become the first Cabarrus County-bred athlete to be chosen in the NBA Draft. Alexander is locked in with the Crimson Tide for the second time. 7 recruits played at Thompson. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. The Advertiser spoke to 14 Alabama high school coaches about how Auburn has recruited their programs. One of the states current football hot spots is G.W. The years you dont have players, they dont know your name.. Its kind of like a letdown, you know, because everybody has all these big expectations. I think you get the inspiration, its like an injection of energy. Thompson was approved as Spring Grove's new coach Monday night. us to complete every school. His teams were also state championship runner-ups in 2001 and 2005. Congratulations to Jahkiaus Jones, Jaquan Hart, Jordan Jones and Jontavis Curry for being selected the Thomson players of the game. Shade, a former Alabama player, enjoyed his conversations with Harsin and thought Harsin was a good Auburn ambassador. var field59 = field59 || {}; I mean, if you come and play hard, its hard to get on a kid. I always said why is Thompson never getting over the hill?. Harsins future was under the microscope in February during an internal investigationinvolving his treatment of players and staff. That was probably where it was a little frustrating for him that he wasnt able to get it there as quickly as he wanted.. What more were we going to do at Spanish Fort? The additions come as KFC recently removed some menu items, including wings, popcorn chicken and cookies, to make room for new additions. 258 Following. The Toros defeated McAdory to claim their second state championship in three years with a 14-1 record. It would turn out to be the most heavily-attended board meeting for a school system that's still just in its toddler years. One said Harsin's continued absence is "just insane to me." I think hed still be sitting there talking if I didnt have to get up and go work my kids out, Higgins said. Steven Hoffmann High School Teacher / Asst Football & Powerlifting Coach. Volunteer Roster last updated on Feb 16, 2023 @ 5:45pm (GMT) Print Roster Correction All-Time Roster {{start_at_rate}} {{format_dollars}} {{start_price}} {{format_cents}} {{term}}, {{promotional_format_dollars}}{{promotional_price}}{{promotional_format_cents}} {{term}}, Todd Maulden/Special to the Independent Tribune, Friday Five: New barbecue restaurant, apartment dwellers and updates, HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: After leaving his mark at storied A.L. Following almost every activity whether its a win, a loss, or a practice you see Thompsons signature Outworkem All expression on social media. Bryan Harsin's Auburn football recruiting strategy has coaches miffed Buildings are filling up. Freeman resigned from Spanish Fort to accept the head coaching job at Thompson high school near Birmingham. "Most of the kids growing up here, most of them aspire to play for Auburn; it's their hometown,"Etheredge said. And when you put together a 60-1 record over the course of two years, it takes something special, something stronger than Xs and Os and talent. I got outta there as fast as my Nissan with the lawn mower engine could go. History of High School Football in Alabama Coaches Project 2023 Head Coach changes New Topic Reply to Topic Printer Friendly: Previous Page: Author: Topic : Page: of 4: vvala45 New Forum Member. Its very much a blue-collar, working-class community. Area school systems were able to provide requested financial data for each head football coach. I was like, Yeah, I can really do this, if I put my mind to it, Thompson recalled. Im going to make you a promise. I made my grandma a promise that I was going to do whatever it takes to get what I needed. Some names on that C.C. Congratulations to Jontavis Curry, Noah Story, Marcellus Brigham and Jordan Jones for being selected the Thomson players of the game. He knows theyll be there after that, too, no matter where he is in life. The quintet started for the C.C. He played in the teams first jamboree game, and pretty soon Baker had seen enough. You know Peter is going to be back there somewhere. According to the 247Sports Composite, the last time 11 top-200 recruits called Alabama home was 2008. The Warriors went 5-5 in each of his first two seasons in 2015 and 2016. Freeman would not arrive to greet a packed school board room until approximately 35 minutes later. Email Steven Hoffmann. Its home for me. The top spot belonged to . Thompson's commitment to Freeman shows that the program is now joining that competition. Later, the same call was made on Bullock. That would probably be one of my biggest accomplishments no matter if its winning a state championship or scoring 1,000 points. Alabama's new backyard recruiting pipeline: How Thompson High School He was Alabamas first verbal commitment in the 2022 class when he made his decision in March 2020. Im not a fan of anybody, but I just respected him coming in and talking about getting the culture right, Gardner said. 40 area players named: Full ASWA all-state teams list To end another memorable season of high school football in the area, 40 players in East Alabama were recognized when Alabama Sports. Saturdays game, a highly anticipated rematch of last seasons semifinals, will be played at McDowell High School in Marion at 3 p.m. You might even be able to hear Faulkner yelling words of support for her grandbaby, even in a gym packed with 3,700 other fans. Youre going to be writing about him.. Thompson has won back-to-back state championships in the states highest classification and is a prime contender for another this season. Floyd was approved to receive $120,000 per year in annual compensation. He replaces Adam Wallace, who was fired after a 6-4 season that saw the Blue Devils narrowly miss the playoffs. 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. They advanced to the state semifinals in 2017 and the state championship game in 2018 before winning state titles in 2019 and 2020. Some believe its unreasonable to expect Harsin to contact every in-state school so quickly. It was a chance, but we knew it would be risky because we were in a great job in a great place. Weve been talking about that for so long. And the whole country has been here, pretty much., Gardner, whos entering his second year at Carver, said he and Harsin talked about their common experiences in new jobs. I knew he had a plane to get to, and I kept trying to hurry him out, Eads said. In the spring of 1978, Dodge's freshman year at Jefferson, the school hired a new coach, former Yellow Jacket Ronnie Thompson, to restore some pride in the football team. Theyve already landed two blue-chip recruits from Thompson in the 2022 class, and they have eyes on two more in 2023. After 90 minutes of talking football, Darrell Higgins couldnt believe Harsin was still in his office. Mira Mesa High football coach Chris Thompson dies at 52 - MSN His softball teams made Final 4 appearances from 2003-05, and his powerlifting teams were 3 time State Champs. Westlake High School Football Coach Todd Dodge Might Be The Best Who Thats the altitude Thompson has currently reached with its run of impressive athletes, which also includes three-star quarterback Conner Harrell, who is committed to North Carolina. Oh, he was still a really good player for Central Cabarrus, a team hed helped to a 30-1 record the previous season, all while being named the player of the year in his conference. Itll be an RPO, air-raid type system so we do need somebody that can spit the ball out and thats something well have to find in the program or in the hallways.. Shes real aggressive sometimes, but I love her. It seemed it would be a Herculean task. Thats huge. A lot of D-I people like him, some D-IIs. I grew up playing a lot of sports. information in hopes our visitors will participate in assisting He knew it, not in a cocky way. Coming back here and kind of turning this program around was a big thing for me.. Coach: Todd Thompson. Experience: 38 years Education: University of Texas Assignment: Athletic Director/Head Football Coach Wife: Teresa Children: Abby, Kate Phone: 512-414-0528 Email: jeff.ables@austinisd.org. Youll find exponentially more 4X4 pickup trucks than Mercedes-Benz. Official Twitter Page of Thompson High School Athletics. Higgins was struck by a new coach trying to learn and improve while maintaining his recruiting principles. I think Auburn's going to be OK," Pouncey said. Thompson paused, realizing that that day had been his moment of clarity. Mark Freeman attended Bessemer Academy and graduated from the University of Alabama with a Bachelor of Arts Degree. Plus, Thompson had obviously inherited at least part of his talent from his father, Andricko Thompson, who was a good basketball player in his native Shelby. Shade thought Harsin did a good job communicating through his assistants, especially Etheridge. Is Tommy Thompson in the Hall of Fame? Thompson high school-Miracle Win-Class 7A Championship-Alabama football What happened to your work ethic? Thompson recalled her asking. He has an offer right now, but he doesnt have that ONE. Reed made such a positiveimpact that the Auburn alum was promoted this week to director of recruiting relations, adding to Harsin's arsenal. Something wasnt right with the young workout fiend she used to know, the kid who was either living in the gym or dying to get there. . Part of it, Thompson admits, was residue from the game of college recruiting. The outworkem all came. This will be Ganuss first head coaching position. Valid CPR and First Aid, TB Test, Fingerprint Process, NFHS online coaching certificates; Heat Illness Prevention. Defensive lineman Peter Woods and cornerback Tony Mitchell are uncommitted five-star 2023 recruits with offers from the Crimson Tide, among many other high-profile schools. Its miracle win to bring another state. That was his happy place, his own piece of utopia. Knowledge of sport. You could have one bad game, and you kind of, like, judge yourself, and you ask yourself, Is this really what I want to do?, It would bring my confidence down. 11 in the 247Sports Composite and already stands 6-foot-2, 180 pounds. Jaiden Thompson (3) flies high to block a shot. Central Cabarrus coach Jim Baker poses for a photo with his four seniors: Gavin Bullock (30) Micah Murray (33) Adriel Miller (14) Elijah Ford (22) and Jaiden Thompson (3). 17 nationally, and his teammates are often wowed by his skills. That discrepancy was at the center of Auburn's recent turmoil. In 2023, the state has 11 of the top 100. Sure, its great. 2023 www.montgomeryadvertiser.com. The answer to that is Freeman. But Johnson was confused that we just signed three defensive players to major universities, and only one of them had an Auburn offer. (Two went to Clemson; the other to Tennessee.) Jeff Ables. Simpson will be heavily involved in helping with operations and administration of several different sports, which Hester said will be a huge help. CONCORD The thumping of the ball against the hardwood, the symphony of screeching sneaker rubber echoing throughout the gym used to be metaphors for Jaiden Thompsons heartbeat. 1 and No. 0:36. The fact that neither Vestavia Hills coach Buddy Anderson are among the three highest-paid coaches in their own region is surprising. His Rebels were also runner-up in 2001 and 2005. Top Coach | Migrated News 69-year-old suffers stroke in his N.C. home; Realtor showing house leaves him there. The former Jackson State offensive coordinator has now spent four seasons as head coach at Eufaula High School in southeast Alabama, about 80 minutes from Auburn. He spent a lot of time here talking, and he didn't have to do that. Thompson completes 3-peat, beats Central-Phenix City to win - AHSAA Coach Keith Etheredge has enjoyed watching Harsin develop relationships at the school. He had been battling bone cancer, but is believed to have succumbed to complications from COVID-19. "I want everyone else to know we are going to be a major player in everything we do for our children," Vickers said. He was named the AISA Football Coach of the Year in 2000, 2004, 2005 and 2007 and the Coach of the Year according to the Alabama Sports Writers in 2004, 2005 and 2006. Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. Tommy Thompson (soccer) - Wikipedia But when the opportunity opened at Thompson for an athletic administrator and a special education teacher, Hester and Simpson both knew it was the right fit. I cant wait to see him play next year. 6 recruits in the states 2023 class attend Carver: defensive lineman James Smith and edge Jaquavious Russaw. High School Teacher jobs 25,325 open jobs Building Supervisor jobs 25,132 open jobs . The Tigers' first 2023 commit is also from Auburn High: four-star offensive lineman Bradyn Joiner. Outside The Huddle: Thompson High School Head Coach Mark Freeman The two lowest-paid coaches on this salary scale both led their teams to the playoffs in 2014. Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson, ranked as the nation's No. People were telling me, You need to transfer. That's very likely to change, but that's where things stand today. AHSFHS.org - Alabama High School Football Coaches Central-Phenix City once again faces off with Thompson for Class 7A To borrow some real estate phrasing its seems that the ultimate in "curb appeal" for a high school and its community is to have a high-profile head football coach that commands a top salary. MOODY Thompson High School co-defensive coordinator Jake Ganus was introduced as the new coach for the Moody Blue Devils on Friday, December 17. When I heard that, I said, Yeah, Ive got to do something about this, he said. His seven year record in baseball was 116-70, with two Final 4 appearances. They have reached the Class 7A State Championship Game each of the past four years and have captured three consecutive years. Top Coach. Subscribe to The Athletic for in-depth coverage of your favorite players, teams, leagues and clubs. }; Thompson High School Head Football Coach Mark Freeman is the face of the Thompson Warriors, the 3-time defending Class 7A State Champions. Website. One Division-I school, Western Carolina, had confirmed as much when it offered him a scholarship after his freshman season. His girls basketball team made the playoffs from 2006-08, and his boys basketball team was state champion in 2008 and made the play-offs seven seasons. Bowie Football Coaching Staff. The TV & Film Academy is also the home of THS TV, Thompson High School's student-run newscast. Ive just been working like crazy since then. BRYAN HARSIN:'The first one changes you': Coaches recall their debuts in the Iron Bowl, a game that determines longevity, AUBURN BASKETBALL:I tried to score over college basketball's greatest shot blocker, Walker Kessler | Durando, Montgomery Catholic Prep is another school with consistent talent. He will receive a salary package as a teacher, football coach and system athletics director that will pay him $121,000 annually. (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). In another, it makes perfect sense. His father, Fred, is a legendary figure in Utah high school athletics, having coached at Roy High School for 19 years, followed by a six-year stint at Fremont. } } A four-star recruit, hes ranked No. Records reflect scores in our database. Thompson High School coach Mark Freeman said the 6-foot-2 Fegans almost tricks a quarterback into throwing the ball by purposefully making him think a receiver is open. She had never seen the room that full and the specially-called board meeting was still about 15 minutes away. Thompsons James L Simmons Stadium underwent a facelift for the 2014 season with press box improvements and new artificial turf. His 2013 team finished 15-0 and won another Class 5A state championship with a win over Muscle Shoals in the title game. WVUA 23 is a competitive professional commercial television, Paul Bryant's McKanstry signs with Independence CC football, Gordo High School celebrates 2023 signing class, Former Hillcrest standout Brandon Bishop announces transfer to Liberty, Paul Bryant football introduces new head coach, Tuesday afternoon crash victim identified, Soldier, poet, or king? McCaskey football tabs assistant Ben Thompson as head coach for 2021 Tommy Thompson has not been elected into the Hall of Fame. 2 in Alabama) and defensive lineman Peter Woods (No. Copyright All rights reserved. For 2023, the only states with more top-100 recruits are Florida and Texas. Follow him on Twitter for the latest high school cool across Alabama. That potential was something he took with him to Calera as a baseball coach, athletic director and football coach. Thompson and Bullock were among a group that participated in a workout with the team. professionals work together to achieve the highest standards in That didnt take away that occasional feeling that comes with a lost love, though, or one you feel is slipping away. station in the nations top 40 market where students and Thompson Tough: Ogden High football coach leading team while battling Tommy Thompson - pro-football-reference.com THS TV allows students the opportunity to work in all areas of production, including behind-the-scenes and on-camera for news programs, our "Hey Coach" show, live sports events such as football games, and other sports and entertainment programming. Football Coach jobs Tennis Coach jobs Camp Director jobs Head Football Coach jobs . But weve got an outstanding individual that loves our kids and loves our parents, loves our school system.. Thompson was a critical reason the Vikings went unbeaten in the South Piedmont 3A Conference for the third year in a row. If you look at where Jaiden is ranked in his class, in the top 30 or so in North Carolina, normally the top 50 or 60 kids end up with a Division I offer, Baker explained. Or, shoot, even making it to the NBA. The No. He will also receive a supplement of $30,909.20 as head football coach and another $30,909.20 as the athletic director for Alabaster City Schools. Thompson went 0-10 last year and 7-23 in three years under Mike Montgomery. They understand what that does for high school that makes it an exciting day when Coach Harsin or Coach Saban shows up.. Simpson spent the previous two years coaching the Eagles after taking over for Andrew Zow ahead of the 2019 season. Its obviously different, but honestly thats what drew me to Moody from Thompson, Ganus said, because of where Im from and where I played at Chelsea. Coach Freeman and Thompson football have had a lot of positive impact. But that foundation is there. Quite frankly, thats the way the locals like it. 3) is the one you need to watch! The Tigers did not add anybody to their 2022 class on National Signing Day earlier this month. If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. Email Brandon Graves. Lakeshore announces Danny Thompson as the school's new head football coach He was the offensive coordinator at Middleville High School since 2018. The list can go on and on because Hoover and Niblett, like their counterparts Freeman and Thompson, take their football seriously. Near Birmingham, Gardendales Kelby Collins is No. Thompson High School Head Football Coach Mark Freeman is the face of the Thompson Warriors, the 3-time defending Class 7A State Champions. Wallace was hired in 2018, and went 11-28 overall. Tweets & replies. To sharpen his skills, he started working with a basketball trainer, Kyree Bethel, whod played at Chowan and coached one of his summer teams. Mar 2, 2023 Updated 27 min ago. Search. Thompson High School coach Mark Freeman said the 6-foot-2 Fegans almost tricks a quarterback into throwing the ball by purposefully making him think a receiver is open. Working with him before, it was a fortunate opportunity for us to have this chance to bring him on board.. Published 3:43 pm Wednesday, June 9, 2021. The funds generated by those summer camps can typically add another $10,000-$30,000 to a coach's bottom line income in some cases. During his time with the Eagles, he helped the baseball program reach the quarterfinals of the playoffs in 2018 and then started to turn the football program around the previous two seasons in the 6A classification. I think thats just kind of the bridge or the gray area theyre going to have to face here soon: Youre not Bama, and youre not Georgia. He and AU defensive backs coach Zac Etheridge are close friends. But it wasnt an, Absolutely, yeah, Ill do it. But then I started thinking about it. He has heard similarly from other Birmingham coaches. Everybody just clicks together, Thompson explained. The challenge facing Harsin as he enters his second season at Auburn is making inroads while his program is geographically sandwiched between Nick Sabans established Alabama machine and Kirby Smarts emerging Georgia juggernaut. 5 high school football team via SB Live, was to put its undefeated record on the line against another Birmingham-area program known for. Freeman was also the coach of the All-Star football game seven consecutive seasons. He won 15 of his 17 playoff games with the Toros. Ganus played high school ball at Chelsea and played linebacker at UAB prior to the closure of the Blazers football program in 2014. BP Brandon Petersen Team 8-2 - Social Studies. Katy ISD. His record at Thompson in nine seasons is 83-18 and 21-2 in the playoffs. Located about 20 miles south of Birmingham, Alabaster is known for its industry and the minerals it mines. In his third season, the results started to show. On 12/2, the Thomson varsity football team won their away playoff game against Appling County (Baxley, GA) by a score of 20-14. 197 Posts. Thomson 56. He flirted with a college coaching job offer before Thompson entered the picture. That both programs are in the Birmingham metro area is a feather in the cap for the Crimson Tide football program, which is just a short ride away. We have chosen to publish this information in hopes our visitors will participate in assisting us to complete every school. Photographer Kenny Grimes has posted a new gallery Fitzgerald vs. Thomson (GHSA 2A Final) containing 104 photos. His grandma, of course, will be with his grandpa, his mother and his uncle cheering Thompson on, hopefully for the next two weekends. Wallace is expected to transfer. Win the battle in my backyard at all costs. His uncle and role model, former Central Cabarrus football standout Michael Ricks, had a lot to do with that, coaching Thompson on his Concord Comets team and putting him through drills like dribbling with a tennis ball to improve his ball-handling. Isidore Newman quarterback Arch Manning headlines the class of 2023 as the No. It kind of started in seventh grade, Thompson said. "Its a blessed day," Freeman said. The board approved him through a solitary personnel action. The Alabaster City Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability or age in any of its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.