Clarke's playing and improvising was prominent on both albums; the band also played a couple of gigs with Getz in Europe. If you're a jazz player, you have to master pizzicato with your fingers. Also, there's social skills. You've worked with Return To Forever. So at that point, I started listening to African music, music from Puerto Rico, music from Cuba, music from Scandinavia, German music, Asian music. So I took it in the studio, record it. Stanley Clarke Wiki Biography Stanley Clarke was born on the 30th June 1951, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA, and is a bassist, as well as a Grammy Award winner in the field of fusion and jazz music. For helping to bring the bass guitar to the front of the band, Clarke cites Jaco Pastorius, Paul McCartney, Jack Bruce, and Larry Graham. A lot of energy. And the bowing you did on "Sofia.". He is the first jazz-fusion bassist to headline tours, sell out shows worldwide and have recordings reach gold status. It has been very rewarding to offer scholarships to talented young musicians. Member of Return to Forever, a jazz fusion band, and who is known for his leadership in an array of trios and ensembles. So I thought, wow. As evidence of his growing profile outside of the jazz world, he also joined Rolling Stones bassist Ron Wood's all-star band, the New Barbarians, and toured with guitarist Jeff Beck in 1979. Graeme Clarke is 6-0 (183 cm) tall. We had these huge screens. Discover today's celebrity birthdays and explore famous people who share your birthday. Gifted jazz bassist who established many contemporary techniques with his dazzling, rapid patterns and a highly influential slapping technique. The Moon represents one's nurturing and emotional instinct. Jo Reed: You've played with some great, great drummers. In 2014 Clarke was invited to become a member of the exclusive Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences.Born in Philadelphia, Clarke has been a constant force of nature in American music since the early 1970s with the success of the jazz-fusion group Return To Forever. Stanley Clarke: So, well, there was a guy named Ron Moss who later managed Chick Corea. was recorded at Sunset Sound Studios and was released in 1985 by Sony. It was fun. It doesn't necessarily have to be written out. The tall, sports-minded kid began spending as much time on the bass as the basketball court, perfecting the mastery of the classical music repertoire he was studying, with aspirations of one day playing in his citys symphony orchestra. And then a film composing agent contacted me and said, "You know, hey, you know, you're definitely pretty good at this sort of thing. So you hear music to have an opinion about it, like it or dislike it. Stanley Clarke: Yeah. These hippie kids protested against the Vietnam War and participated in the civil rights movement. Discover what happened on this day. In 2011 he was honored with the highly prestigious Miles Davis Award at the Montreal Jazz Festival for his entire body of work. Four-time Grammy winner Stanley Clarke is quite possibly the most celebrated acoustic and electric bassist in the world. Diane Hadley, Other Works You know, we were jazz musicians. According to Wikipedia, Forbes, IMDb & Various Online resources, famous Bassist Stanley Clarkes net worth is $1-5 Million at the age of 68 years old. Clarke grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with his mother encouraging him to study music. Clarke was playing a new kind of music, using new techniques, and giving the bass guitar a prominence it lacked. Like obviously you got to be able to write music. Publicity Listings I mean, there was a great thing that Charlie Parker said which is, you know, study, study, study. And yeah, it was just a cooler thing and it was really, my first electric bass was really raw. And they'd come and they'd play. And so I studied with him and I saw my improvement. But you know, when you're playing live there's so many other advantages musically because of you have a great audience, you have the interplay, the energy. Clarke's latest records include The Toys of Men in 2007. Clarke intended to become the first black musician in the Philadelphia Orchestra until he met jazz pianist Chick Corea. Corea produced Clarke's first solo album, Children of Forever (1973), and played keyboards on it with guitarist Pat Martino, drummer Lenny White, flautist Art Webb, and vocalists Andy Bey and Dee Dee Bridgewater. He is from PA. Stanley Clarke currently age 68 years old. When I play the electric bass, I think of grooving, having fun, you know, playing loud. [14] At the time, Corea was working with Stan Getz putting together a new backing band for him and writing music for the group; these pieces first surfaced on two albums recorded in February/March 1972 in New York, Captain Marvel (credited to Getz, released in 1974) and Return to Forever (credited to Corea, issued in Europe in 1972). It was called a Kent bass. For all time, at the moment, 2023 year, Stanley Clarke earned $3 Million. It could be close to 80, 70-something. By high school, he was working regularly, splitting his time between jazz gigs and shows playing in pop and rock bands. Ken was a great engineer. And then he did a very primitive way. I don't think musicians really look at, "Oh, now I'm going to play with a country musician or, oh, now I'm going to do this." See all 39 Events. I mean, unfortunately and fortunately at the same time because it's a much harder instrument to play, number one. He is the first bassist in history who doubles on acoustic and electric bass with equal ferocity and the first jazz-fusion bassist ever to headline tours, selling out shows worldwide. And the electric bass still to this day to me is fun. Their second album, Light as a Feather (1973), was released by Polydor and included the song "Spain". Fusion was a combination of rock and jazz which they helped develop in the early 1970s. I wonder how that would sound?" [18] During the early 1980s, he toured with Corea and Return to Forever, then worked with Bobby Lyle, Eliane Elias, David Benoit and Michel Petrucciani. That was my first experience playing in a jazz club. [18][22], Clarke has spent much of his career outside jazz. Clarke received the Latin Grammy for Best Instrumental Album in 2011 at the 12th Annual Latin Grammy Awards for the album "Forever", along with Chick Corea and Lenny White. The first edition of Return to Forever performed primarily Latin-oriented music and used only acoustic instruments (except for Corea's Fender Rhodes piano). But don't think for a minute that this little bass can't handle standard tuning like a champ, with plenty of low-end and sustain. Now there are some awards that mean more than others. That had to have been interesting and kind of daunting. He is not dating anyone. I didn't believe in overdubbing solos. Let's check, How Rich is Robby, Scroll below and check our most recent updates about Noel Redding's Estimated Net Worth, Age, Biography, Career, Height, Weight, Family, Wiki. [43], In 2018, Clarke released The Message, featuring the new Stanley Clarke Band with Cameron Graves on synthesizers, pianist Beka Gochiashvili, and drummer Mike Mitchell. Clarke was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. [1][2][3], Clarke is a 5-time Grammy winner, with 15 nominations, 3 as a solo artist, 1 with the Stanley Clarke Band, and 1 with Return to Forever. I had been playing with Joe Henderson. one, you know, I was a guy that started something many years ago and all I knew was just to work. Height and Weight 2023 How tall and how much weigh Stanley Clarke? People born on a Saturday enjoy an optimistic and positive disposition. And in actual fact, we were the honest ones. Body size Breast - Waist - Hips - Appearance Vkontakte Facebook Twitter Pinterest Video Log in and Add video Similar celebrities Kim Kardashian TOP 100 #1 Diego Costa Weight: 187 lb / 85 kg John Mellencamp Age: 71 Nick Roux musician Young Thug United States You know, this was one of those moments. Or was that something that came pretty naturally to you? During the early 1980s, he toured with Corea and Return to Forever, then worked with Bobby Lyle, Eliane Elias, David Benoit and Michel Petrucciani. More all-star groups followed, including S.M.V., a jazz bassist supergroup featuring the talents of Clarke alongside Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten. If it's directed at people and it has a positive message hanging on that, it's incredible. They reunited for tours during the 1990s[11] and the 2000s. There, he joined Ponty and guitarist Birli Lagrne in a performance that later led to the trio recording 2015's D-Stringz for Impulse! Perhaps the thing that Stanley is most proud of is the role of his band as a showcase for the musicianship of established and developing artists over the years. They toured together, and Beck appeared on some of Clarke's albums, including Journey to Love (1975)[20] and Modern Man (1978). See all 83 Events. Clarke made his professional debut at age 15, joining saxophonist Byard Lancaster at the Showboat jazz club. In 2005 he started the Acoustic Fusion Supergroup TRIO! Stanley Clarkes bass-playing, showing exceptional skill on both acoustic and electric bass, has made him one of the most influential players in modern jazz history. He and his wife Sofia established The Stanley Clarke Foundation thirteen years ago as a charitable organization, which offers scholarships to talented young musicians each year. But anyway, that didn't happen. - He is also known for playing aaron bishop in bulletproof (2018. . He also embarked on his own influential and commercially successful solo career, issuing albums like 1976's School Days and 1988's If This Bass Could Only Talk, many of which found him exploring a broad array of sounds, from funk and R&B to post-bop and modal jazz. Stanley Robert Clarke (geboren 31 juli 1938) is een Engels voormalige concurrentie zwemmer die zwommen voor Groot-Brittanni op de Olympische Spelen en de Europese kampioenschappen, en streden om Engeland in de Commonwealth Games. School Days, composed and performed by Stanley Clarke from the album, School Days. And the difference between our scholarship foundation and others is that everybody wins. At the age of 82 years, Stanley Clarke (swimmer) weight not available right now. And so I remembered that and I remember kids that go through that kind of hassle. Also learn details information about Current Net worth as, John Myung estimated Net Worth, Biography, Age, Height, Dating, Relationship Records, Salary, Income, Cars, Lifestyles & many more details have been updated below. Stanley Clarke: Well, first and foremost, they can play the charts. Stanley Clarke is the 900th most popular musician . His recording debut was with Curtis Fuller. He worked with Joe Henderson and Pharoah Sanders, then in 1972 with Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, and Art Blakey, followed by Gil Evans, Mel Lewis, and Horace Silver. With the arrival of the British Invasion bands and his Roxborough High School years, the electric bass, a Kent electric bass purchased for around $50, found its way into Stanleys hands and so did opportunities to play parties and shows with many bands across the City of Brotherly Love. Been doing it ever since. (laughs). He first played the violin and cello before settling on the bass, attending the Settlement Music School, where his focus was on studying classical bass repertoire. I had this suit. Sofia, my wife, you know, she likes it when I play with the bow and so I was working on some of the Bach Cello Suites, you know, she would always come in and go, like, "That's not quite right yet." With the guidance and encouragement of teachers like Eligio Rossi at the Settlement Music School, Stanley steadily developed technique and confidence on the bass. The 71-year-old bassist was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. I don't really look at it so much as a serious-- I mean, it is a serious instrument. The duo scored a top 20 pop hit with Sweet Baby, recorded three albums and toured the world many times over. [40], In 2007, Clarke released the DVD Night School: An Evening of Stanley Clarke and Friends, a concert that was recorded in 2002 at the Musicians' Institute in Hollywood. Stanleys hypnotic, innovative approach to playing the instrument liberated the bass from the back to the front of the stage. Stanley Clarke was born in Philadelphia, PA on June 30, 1951. Forever went on to win the 2012 Grammy award for Best Instrumental Album. He was an English engineer. Its an honor to be chosen as a 2022 NEA Jazz Master along with its generous fellowship in commemoration of my more than 50-year career in jazz as a recording artist, performer, composer, conductor, arranger, producer, and film score composer. Zodiac Sign: Stanley Clarke is a Cancer. So he asked me the right question. How it complemented yours, you complemented each other? Stanley Clarke: Well, my mother was the artist. : Thunder album review @ All About Jazz", "Stanley Clarke Band: The Message (Mack Avenue)", "Don't Miss Your Appointment For "Barbershop: The Next Cut" A GLOBAL LIFESTYLE", "Original Soundtrack to "Halston" Composed by Jazz Legend Stanley Clarke", "Grammy winner Stanley Clarke taps eclectic musicians for his Roxboro push", "Bass Lines: Stanley Clarke "School Days", "Bassist Stanley Clarke On Slapping The Strings For 40 Years", "Stanley Clarke "School Days" electric guitar, piano, bass and drums Sheet Music", "Legendary Bassist Stanley Clarke Honored with Bass Player Lifetime Achievement Award", "Stanley Clarke to be Honored With Degree", "Jazz & Blues Florida December 2016 Edition", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stanley_Clarke&oldid=1138558349, This page was last edited on 10 February 2023, at 09:17. He accepted an invitation to join The Rolling Stones Ronnie Wood in the all-star band, The New Barbarians, which also included Keith Richards of The Stones on guitar, Ian McLaglan on keyboards, Bobby Keys on saxophone and Ziggy Modeliste of the Meters on drums. Away from Return to Forever, Clarke continued to pursue his solo career and gained increasing acclaim for his fluid bass style, which found him moving away from the instrument's traditional rhythm section role and playing lead lines and improvising. He picked up bass guitar in his teens so that he could perform at parties and imitate the rock and pop bands that girls liked. He started playing bass at an early age, attended the Philadelphia Musical Academy, and then moved to New York. And I remember saying, "This is beginner's luck. Shania Twain. He is the first bassist in history who doubles on acoustic and electric bass with equal ferocity and the first jazz-fusion bassist ever to headline tours, selling out shows worldwide. Check back often as we will continue to update this page with new relationship details. His trio has included Lenny White on drums. They scored a Top 20 pop hit with "Sweet Baby," and paired again in 1983 for a follow-up and tour. And I was very fortunate. My goal, I was going to actually play bass in the Philadelphia Orchestra. He is well-known for his leadership in a variety of trios and ensembles throughout his career. And then the last 2 get cash and to do whatever they want to do with it, a significant amount of cash. [fetch instagram=stanleyclarke display=posts ]. So we had Marcus Miller's bass right down the middle, Victor Wooten's bass was to the left and I was stage right. [60], For other people named Stanley Clarke, see, Stanley Clarke at Leverkusener Jazztage (Germany), November 7, 2016, Last edited on 10 February 2023, at 09:17, National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Masters Fellowship, National Museum of African American History and Culture, Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals, "Stanley Clarke Finds Reel Career in Film Scores: Jazz: For the multifaceted bassiest, who comes to the Coach House tonight, touring is now a way to unwind", "Stanley Clarke Lets His Bass Do the Talking in Solo Album", "BOYZ N THE HOOD 25th Anniversary Celebration and Conversation", "Stanley Clarke Discusses Return To Forever", "Stanley Clarke National Endowment for the Arts", "Stanley Clarke Signature Standard 4 String Bass", "Bringing the Bass Up Front: An Interview with Stanley Clarke", "Returning to Forever, or at Least a Heyday", "Something Else! He also composed music for the movies Boyz n the Hood, Passenger 57, and What's Love Got to Do with It,[13] the television programs Lincoln Heights, Waynehead, Static Shock, A Man Called Hawk and Soul Food, and the video for "Remember the Time" by Michael Jackson. Anyway, what we did was we devised a really amazing way so that wouldn't happen. He is the first jazz-fusion bassist to headline tours, sell out shows worldwide and have recordings reach gold status. The series consists of seven episodes titled "Origins of Black Music," "That Philly Sound," "Jazz Beyond the Classroom," "Black Music in Film, Television & Theatre," "Jazz," "Black Music in Film The Next Generation:" and "Bass to Bass." Tremendous. The Stanley Clarke Band with Clarke, Bruner Jr., and Sirota released The Message[34], In 1988, Clarke and drummer Stewart Copeland of the rock band the Police formed Animal Logic with singer-songwriter Deborah Holland.