P365XL vs P320 X Compact: Skinny or Stout? Only the back portion of the cylinder, where the locking bolt cuts are, is actually full diameter; it measures 1.283 inches. A stainless steel barrel and cylinder provide strength for high-stressed parts. The three inch, 15.7 ounce LCRx is somewhat more comfortable to shoot than the even lighter (13.5 ounce) snubby version, due to the former's hand filling grip and heavier weight. The double action trigger pull is probably in the 11 to 12 pound region. We could not measure it, because our RCBS pull gauge only reads up to eight pounds. S&W 632 with 3" barrel & adjustable sights in .327 Fed! I stopped shooting them after a few rounds. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. When tactical lights first came out, we all thought the 50 lumens they offered was astounding and could never get better. I believe the ballistics and extra round warrant the switch. Certainly not the bucky .41 Magnum and the downright cranky .44 Mag. The .327 Magnum is a step up, with actually amazing numbers. J-Frame Revolvers: Freedom of Choice SHOT Show Recap The Late Boy Scout 213K subscribers 68K views 7 years ago Recapping my brief experience shooting and learning about the Ruger LCRx 3" at. Online shopping from a great selection of discounted 327 FEDERAL MAGNUM Firearms by Ruger at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. The .357 magnum, .327 Federal, and 9mm models use a heavier frame. . They got this one right. Thanks for the review; it does this firearm and cartridge combo justice. I want them to make a 3" LCRx in 9mm and a 4" SP101 in 9mm. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. This gun is infinitely more comfortable to shoot than my Smith & Wesson 340PD, which painfully stings my hand with full house .357 Magnum loads. However, if you elevate the muzzle as you give the ejector rod a brisk push, most of the fired cases usually drop free, leaving one or two that must be removed individually. Georgia Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: Thus, it delivers a super-charged bullet on target nearly on par with the .357 Magnum, a round recognized as one of the most effective self-defense cartridges available. But the sight picture of the SP101 is not bad. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. First, because its far from prohibitive for carry. The LCRx revolver features aerospace-grade aluminum construction, a polymer fire control housing for reduced weight, a grip peg that accommodates many different grip styles, a Hogue Tamer Monogrip for reduced recoil and comfortable handling, a friction-reducing cam for a smooth trigger pull, a stainless steel cylinder with a PVD finish and fluted design for excellent durability, an external hammer, and a replaceable pinned ramp front sight with a white bar. High-strength stainless steel cylinder, featuring a PVD finish for excellent durability, is extensively fluted, reducing weight. I wanted to test some .32-caliber loads, and I picked a Ruger LCRx in .327 Federal Magnum to test them. The hammer spur is laid back flatter than you will find on many revolvers. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. The three inch LCRx would also make a good home defense revolver for someone who favors a lightweight gun. It's almost easy to forget the LCRX is hanging off your belt. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, State Agency: RUGER LCRX, DOUBLE ACTION/SINGLE ACTION REVOLVER, .38 SPECIAL REVOLVER 3" THREADED STAINLESS STEEL BARREL, 5 ROUNDS, MATTE BLACK SYNERGISTIC HARD. SJHP: smallest group 2 in. See individual spec sheets for model specific features. It would be the perfect little "kit gun" IMO. Don't get me wrong, I *like* the .327. When I consider a good CCW gun, I need to know if I can send rapid, accurate fire at a target. Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, State Agency: It is a modern design because part of the frame is made from polymer that attaches to a metal frame. I usually associate the name as coming from carrying the gun tucked into the waistband against the belly for quick and easy access. The LCR has a transfer bar safety system to ensure that the hammer blow can only transfer to the firing pin when the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. the LCRx in .327 Fed. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. Accuracy was tested with a six-shot group at 7 yards, fired from sandbags. Furthermore, it made the LCRx less punishing and more accurate, at least shot to shot, allowing me to maintain greater control on follow-ups. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. The Ruger LCRx in .327 Federal Magnum is a 17 oz., monolithic steel-framed, 6-shot revolver with a polymer fire-control housing. Win. For Self-Defense, I practice the ancient art known as "KLIK-PAO". They are less likely to jam than a semi-automatic pistol. Ruger claims that the polymer grip frame and Tamer grip combine to deliver about 50% less felt recoil than other .38 Special revolvers of similar size and weight. While every effort is made to include accurate and correct images, descriptions and pricing for all products, inadvertent errors may occur. If you go this route, as did nearly a century of Americans before you, you wont be under-gunned. However, since the new model's longer barrel would allow for a full length ejector rod, we think Ruger should have provided one. The swing-out cylinder is attached to the frame by a crane that pivots around the front torx screw. The result is an extremely hard surface finish (reportedly Rockwell C60) that is impervious to just about everything, including saltwater. Most of the six-shot groups hovered around the 2-inch range. As you would expect from a Ruger product, and in particular a revolver, during our testing there were no malfunctions of any kind. Save big on a new ruger lcrx. ; mean average group = 3.0 in. Illustration courtesy of Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. Having previously reviewed and liked the Ruger LCRx .38 Special +P Revolver with 3" barrel we wanted to review the latest variation, an LCRx with a three inch, fully shrouded barrel and adjustable sights in .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (.22 WMR, or just ".22 Magnum"). the lcr 327 seems to be an ideal ccw as one ages. Charter Arms, Taurus, Smith & Wesson, Freedom Arms and U.S. Fire Arms (now defunct) also chambered revolvers in this cartridge. The load could be considered only a moderate load with respect to velocity and pressure for this cartridge. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, GOM Old West 2023, PO Box 488, Escondido, CA 92033. California Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: The LCRx has a short rubber Hogue Tamer grip with finger grooves. I can hear you now: Lord, hes going to talk about recoil. But for me, its not so much the knuckle-buster reputation that causes pause its the muzzle blast and, more importantly, what that represents that raises flags. Contest void where prohibited by law. The best performance, however, came from Gold Dot. If you want .327 performance, try the 75-grain, lead-free, 400 fpe, 1,550 fps from DoubleTap Ammunition. Velocity was recorded with a Shooting Chrony chronograph at about 10 feet, and is the average of six shots. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. The weight gain of 3.5 ounces over the LCR chambered in .38 Spl. The Ruger LCR is a compact revolver built by Sturm, Ruger & Co. and announced in January 2009. Know guns, know peace, know safety. thus a ruger single seven or lcr 327 can perform many different roles for users with different physical conditions. Ruger Single Seven 327 Federal MAG Revolver 5.5 in Barrel, Ruger Single Seven 327 Federal Magnum Revolver with 4.2 Inch Barrel, Ruger Single Seven 327 Federal Magnum Revolver with 7.5 Inch Barrel, Ruger SP101 327 Federal Magnum Double Action Revolver, Ruger LCR 327 Federal Magnum Double-Action Revolver, Ruger LCRx 327 Federal Magnum Double-Action Revolver, Ruger SP101 327 Federal Mag Double-Action Revolver with 3-Inch Barrel, Ruger GP100 Standard 327 FED MAG 7-Shot Double-Action Revolver, Ruger GP100 Standard 327 Federal Mag Double-Action Revolver, Ruger Single Seven 327 Federal Magnum Revolver with 5.5 Inch Barrel and Satin Blued Finish, Ruger Single Seven 327 Federal Magnum Revolver with Black Micarta Grips, Ruger GP100 327 Federal Mag Double-Action Revolver with Smooth Walnut Grips. +P ammo, like Remington Golden Saber, Speer 135 gr. The Ruger LCRx Double-Action Revolver features all of the technological advances of the standard LCRLightweight Compact Revolverwith the addition of an external hammer that gives you the option of pulling the hammer back and firing in single-action mode. Most revolvers have a distinct line circling the cylinder from the locking pawl contacting the cylinder as it spins. That Smith looks really nice. Posts: 96,121. Frame: Stainless steel, black DLC/polymer, black Cylinder: Stainless steel, black DLC Grip: Hogue Tamer Front Sight: Ramped and serrated with white stripe Ruger LCRx 327 Federal Magnum Double-Action Revolver . In addition to .327 Federal Magnum ammunition, .32 H&R Magnum, .32 Smith and Wesson Long and .32 Smith and Wesson ammunition was tested. The .327 excells at turning a J frame sized revolver into a six shooter. Only Ruger and Freedom Arms catalog this caliber at present. LCR cylinders are made from high-strength stainless steel and are extensively fluted to reduce their profile and weight. This new model expands the diverse Ruger LCR family, which features a variety of calibers and configurations. It incorporates several novel features such as a polymer grip and trigger housing, monolithic receiver, and constant force trigger. Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department, State Agency: Contest open to U.S. residents only. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. They both have positive points. Michigan Deptartment of Natural Resources, State Agency: Height: 4.5 in. S. . This isnt to say the matte-black gun isnt beautiful in its own right; it is, just in a different way. Object Moved. Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, State Agency: The frame itself is treated with a two element, synergistic hard-coat finish. Despite a full-length barrel lug, the ejector is short and only pushes spent cartridges halfway from the cylinder. The Ruger is much lighter than the all steel Diamondback, but any pouch holster designed for the Diamondback should also fit the three inch LCRx. Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winners. Ruger LCR series revolvers have the most heavily fluted cylinders we have ever seen. Why? However, if you stay stock, the inset white stripe proves highly visible, even in the gray and hazy conditions I used it in. The .357 LCRx comes in lighter than most double-stack polymer pistols, even subcompact models. Deployed military should use stateside address. +P 125 gr. Cold Steel makes a Ruger LCR Rubber Training Revolver. This is great when the user is upright, but as soon as they are seated, everything poking into the lower abdomen can cause discomfort. It has a partially exposed hammer, which I prefer, allowing for DA/SA action. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. After one cylinder I realized that the solid grips were not for this gun, for me anyway. The rubber grips pebble texture was akin to a coat of stickum on the palm and kept the gun where I wanted it. The Ruger is much lighter than the all steel Diamondback, but any pouch holster designed for the Diamondback should also fit the three inch LCRx. The DoubleTap load with the 115-grain cast bullet produced 1,264 fps and 408 ft.-lbs. Holster does not fit the Ruger SP101 in .357 with the fiber optic sight, the Ruger SP101 with the Crimson Trace Lasergrips, LCRx with 3" barrel, or the LCR with the . With the return of the 3 barrel .327 Magnum, Ruger fans can once again get a SP101 in this caliber that is more suited for concealed carry. I fired some .32 Automatic rounds from the LCR, and when I pressed the ejector rod, the ejector completely missed the rims. For my range test of the 3-inch-barrelled LCRx, I shot three different defensive roundsincluding one in .38 Spl +Pand a full metal jacket round. Ive found that the 340PD points a little high. Reading all of the threads about the LCR/LCRx in .327fed, I rekindled my earlier desire for one in that calibre (I had been thinking about a SP101 or GP100 in 3" or 4"). Distributors of Ruger products based in the United States are not authorized to export our products. He is a gun owner and avid reloader from Colorado. Ruger LCRx 3 inch. Also own a 3" and 4.2" SP-101 In 327. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. You cant avoid the velocity reduction, thats just physics. New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: Style: 2053. And now the external hammer. By clicking on a link above, you will leave the Ruger website and be transported to the website of an independent, federally licensed retailer of Ruger products. It does not, after all, kick as hard as a magnum revolver and we all shoot those. Missouri Deptartment of Conservation, State Agency: By the Guns and Shooting Online Staff. It is an excellent choice for a concealed carry belly gun. We recommend using standard velocity loads for most LCRx practice sessions to (somewhat) moderate the recoil, reserving +P loads for duty use. Trigger time equals training time. A polymer Fire Control Housing holds all the fire control components in their proper dimensional relationships, reduces weight significantly and helps reduce recoil. The trigger guard is generous and should present no drawbacks with extra-large fingers or when wearing gloves. The faster rounds produced velocities around 1,300 fps. Even the .357 Mag LCR was fun to shoot-just not a full . This extra distance also translates into excessive headspace, which can affect accuracy. MontanaMarine #13519270 02/01/19. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. Everyone could have shot tighter groups more easily with a three pound trigger pull. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, GOM April 2023, P.O. Mag. Deployed military should use stateside address. Monolithic frame is made from aerospace-grade, 7000-series aluminum in .22 LR, .22 Magnum and .38 Special models and from 400-series stainless steel in the powerful .357 Magnum, 9mm Luger and .327 Federal Magnum models. They also will fire .32 Magnum. Many of the best professional shooters were using tricked-out 1911s for IPSC competition. The 3-inch-barreled LCRx in .357 Magnum is all business and meant to excel in a cutthroat world. The gun is concealable, reasonably lightweight, accurate and points naturally. Semi-automatic pistols are flatter and often hold a round or two more than a revolver. Our motto, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens," The hammer draw, DA trigger pull and SA trigger pull all require substantially more effort than they should. I'm glad to see an SP101 chambered for the flexible .327 Fed. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. innovative firearms. Would love a 3 inch model with adjustable sights! While this pushes the five-round revolvers weight up to around 21 ounces, the heft is welcome. Save my name and email to use for future comments. ; largest group 3-3/16 in. Aluminum has been the go-to material for a majority of the guns, but it just wouldnt fit the bill for the abuse a .357 Magnum doles out. Pennsylvania Game Commission, State Agency: Life Member: SAF, Life Member: CCRKBA, Life Member: FOAC. Ruger LCR Type: Revolver, double action only Caliber: .327 Federal Magnum Capacity: 6 rounds Weight: 17.0 oz. The Henry Big Boy is both fun to shoot and practical. The revolvers single-action trigger is solid, breaking at about 6 pounds. The good sights and a hand filling grip are big plusses. Ruger LCP II w/ CT Laserguard; Ruger LCR (1.875") .22, 38, 357; Ruger LCR /w Lasermax Centerfire; Ruger LCRx 3" Ruger Max 380; Ruger Max 9; Ruger P85 P89 KP P90 P91; Ruger P93 94 95 and KP 95; Ruger Redhawk; Ruger Security 380 Holster; Ruger Security 9; Ruger Security 9 Compact; Ruger SP 101 2.25" Ruger SP 101 2.25" w/ CT LaserGrip; Ruger SP . The Ruger LCRx is a perfect balance of great mechanics, weight and concealability. No purchase necessary. I like the power of the magnum cartridge because it maximizes performance from these short-barreled guns. The suggested retail price is $749. Contest void where prohibited by law. (We waited about four years to get a Ruger Gold Label shotgun for review! The .32 Magnum is the smallest cartridge with a Magnum designation meaning it is an improved, more effective cartridge based on, or derived from, an earlier cartridge design. Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winners. I have a couple .357 Taurus Protector Polys, and I would love to see that with a three inch barrel. Unlike most DA revolvers, the LCRx does not have a side plate to allow access to its internal parts. It can be thumb cocked and fired by a short, lighter pull of the trigger (SA), or fired without first cocking the hammer by a long, much heavier, pull of the trigger (DA). The .22 LR, .22 WMR, and .38 special models all use a lighter and slightly smaller frame. In size and shape, the three inch barrel version of the LCRx differs substantially from the original snubby version. The demand of used 327 pistol's has fallen 9 units over the past 12 months. What do I mean by this? The six pound SA trigger pull is commendably smooth and clean, but much too heavy. This is because, obviously, of the smaller diameter of the .32-caliber round. The elements might have squeezed in a fraction of an inch here or there; nevertheless, from 15 yards off a rest and in single-action mode, I was capable of groups 2.25 inches or under across the board with .357 ammo. Rhode Island Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: Cloud Defensive MCH HC Single Output Burnt Bronze, Unity Tactical FAST LPVO Offset Optic Base FDE. No purchase necessary. The ramped and serrated front sight sports a highly visible long white stripe. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. However, its snappy recoil remains unpleasant, especially with +P ammo. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Rem. When not at his press or the range he can be found chasing mule deer around the Rocky Mountains. Using a shot timer, its easy to prove the AIWB is often the fastest carry style for accurate fire. Macchia showed me that out of the box, the timing and lockup was ideal for a production gun. As an experiment, I loaded some 100-grain Hornady XTP bullets over True Blue that clocked a little shy of 1,200 fps. JHP: smallest group 2-5/8 in. Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore reserves the right to modify or change pricing information or descriptions without notice. Of course, the three inch comes with a fully adjustable rear sight that is easier to see and far superior to the fixed frame notch that passes for a rear sight on the snubby models. Manufacturer: Ruger Model: LCRX-3 Model Number: 5431 Action: Double-action revolver Caliber: .38 Special +P Barrel: 3-inch Sights: Adjustable, white ramp front, plain black rear Grips: pebbled rubber Hogue Tamer monogrip Weight: 15.7 ounces Finish: Cylinder, Ion Bond, rest of gun, matte black synergistic hard coat MSRP: $545 Discussion Grip peg allows for a variety of grip styles to be installed. Ruger LCRX 3" Concealed Carry Question . Rem. I prefer this grip, but some shooters might prefer the longer Hogue grip without the finger grooves that have a place to rest the little finger. The stainless steel barrel is threaded into the frame, which surrounds the barrel. Rumor has it the LCRx 3 inch is coming soon in 9mm and 327. The hammer spur is smallish in size, but adequate for thumb cocking. Sights are a pinned ramp front with a notch rear. It is awesome for holster drills, as well as gun takeaway practice. We think of the adjustable sight LCRx as a compact, lightweight service revolver, rather than a .38 snubby. Aside from the heavy hammer and trigger springs, which should be replaced with lighter weight springs, none of our shooters found serious fault with the three-inch LCRx. $269.00. of energy. Box 488, Escondido, CA 92033. Patented polymer fire control housing holds all the fire control components in their proper dimensional relationships, reduces weight significantly and helps reduce recoil. The Ruger LCRx is everything you love in a revolver. West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, State Agency: Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winners. It packs a punch. Visit the revision cv Store. This gun is chambered with a lot of cartridges, such as .22 LR .22 WMR .38 Special +P .357 Magnum 9mm Luger .327 Federal Magnum. . Illinois Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: Contest open to U.S. residents only. innovative firearms. The polymer fire control housing, which includes the grip frame and trigger guard, contains all of the lock work, including the hammer. (See Ruger LCRx .38 Spec. A carbine/handgun combination is a practical tradition, and also a great way of getting practice from a single box of cartridges. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks.