It is perfect to have on cooler days or if you have ham leftovers. Then, add it to the soup and keep cooking the soup until it thickens. Add the beans, bone, thyme, salt, pepper, and 6 cups of water to the pot. Stove Top Instructions. This recipe works well with any canned white beans, such as Great Northern beans, navy beans (also called Yankee beans), or cannellini beans (white kidney beans). 01.03.2023. Yum Yum! In the morning our when you're ready to make the soup, drain the beans, and thoroughly rinse them again. From the fridge, you just need to microwave the soup until warmed through. Add ham bone, thyme, paprika, and bay leaves to the pot. Quick ham and bean soup with canned beans is full of shortcuts which is great for my busy household. Step 3: Add the stock. Add NAVY BEANS, HAM BONE, THYME, SALT, PEPPER, and 6 cups WATER to the pot. Its easy, its economical, its nutritious, and it can be prepared in advance and kept on hand for busy days. Store old-fashioned ham and bean soup in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Please consult preferred resource for precise data. Ill surely make this again, and Im glad to have found your site! Very good! Thanks. Yes, if youd like something other than cornbread, you can try the sourdough toast that you suggested, frozen Texas Toast, a loaf of French or Italian bread from the bakery, or refrigerated biscuits or crescent rolls that you just pop in the oven. Slowly add glugs of chicken stock while stirring until a smooth sauce has been formed then pour in remaining stock. I have vivid memories of my dads ham and bean soup from my childhood. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. For interchangeability, remember 1 pound of dry edible beans yields . Made using canned pinto beans, this soupcan be ready in under 30 minutes. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Im a Midwestern wife and Mama, and after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2013 I began sharing delicious and approachable gluten-free recipes made with everyday, in-season ingredients. Absolutely! Definitely my go to recipe for ham and bean soup. Step 1: Cook the vegetables. Stir well and bring to a boil. Add the beans; stir and cook for 1 minute. This is a soup i actually created 1-15 years ago for a few of my neighbors that chapped to Hispanic and some didn't eat porkSo i created a bean soup with a L. Bring to a low simmer on the stove top. Allow the soup to cool to room temperature. 3.To make ham broth for soup: Fill large pot with the 6 cups of water to cover bone. If you're looking for more ways to use leftover ham, be sure to check out my Ham and Pea Pasta recipe, too! 1 cup: 168 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1242mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein. Step 7: Add beans, tomato paste. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. 15 oz. Slowly add glugs of chicken stock while stirring until a smooth, creamy sauce forms. Always look forward to holiday ham leftovers Thanks! Let me know if I can help you with anything else , I loved how easy and delicious this recipe was to make. Thaw the soup in the refrigerator for 12 hours prior to meal time, then reheat in a pan on the stove top. This soup turned out very good. Cut off the ham, chop it, and add it back to the beans before serving, discarding the gristle and bone. Two other options are Cannellini beans, which are larger and a touch more firm, and white navy beans, which are the smallest and creamiest of the three. Remove from heat and add the beans. This is a ham and bean soup with canned beans. butter beans, navy beans, wish bone western origin dress, pork and beans and 2 more Southern Hoppin' John Pork salt, celery, medium onion, frozen black-eyed Add enough water or broth to Ratings: 87 Calories: 163 per serving Category: Soup Cook until the onions begin to turn translucent. This is a keeper for my family , Yayy! Remove the ham hocks from the pot and remove the meat from the bone and stir back into the bean. Rinse; drain. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour. I'll take it straight from the loaf or toasted and slathered with melted butter. Add the remaining ingredients as instructed in Step 3, cover, and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove ham bone; let stand until cool enough to handle. While they say chicken soup cures what ails ya, I have to put in a good word for Ham and Bean Soup. Now add the beans, undrained. Stir the beans and ham into the pot then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The first soak of the beans softens them, but they won't get tender until after they are simmered in the second step. Add the beans, bone, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Basic Ham and Bean Soup - Allrecipes . Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Please note that carb counts, calorie counts and general nutritional information varies greatly depending on the products you use. Insanely Good Recipes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Step 4: Add Navy Beans & Spices to Slow Cooker. In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat butter or oil to medium-high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions just start to soften and turn translucent. Step 7: Serve Your Navy Bean Soup. 02.28.2022. Cover and cook on low until the beans are tender, about 5 - 6 hours on low. This is the best ham and bean soup for any cooking level because its just so simple. In a large stock pot over medium heat, heat the oil. Then remove all meat from the bone. Sometimes I make corn bread and sometimes garlic toast. To do this, stir 3 tablespoon of all-purpose flour or cornstarch into 1 cup of liquid (broth or water) until smooth. (Usingleftover ham also makes this a fantastic lunch the next day.) Do not drain the beans before adding to the soup recipe. Cover beans with about 2 cups of water and allow to soak overnight or 6 to 8 hours. Definately five stars! Reduce to low heat and let the soup simmer for 1 more hour. After draining the beans, place them in a pot with the water and chicken stock. If overcooked, the beans wont retain their shape and will become mushy. Then add it to the ham and cook a bit before adding the rest of the liquids. Drain and rinse beans; return to pot. Yesss! Sweet Cornbread Muffins with Brown Sugar, Cheddar Chive Beer Bread {No Yeast, No Knead}, Tuscan White Bean Soup with Sausage and Kale, https://www.theseasonedmom.com/bean-soup/, 12 Things You Need for Your St. Patricks Day Party, The 6 Best Stand Mixers for Bread of 2023. To the onions, add diced ham. 20 Birthday Gifts for Friends You Havent Thought of Yet. At the 5 hour mark, stir in the carrots. Dump in all your vegetables. Add chicken broth, beans, thyme, ham hock, and bay leaf. If you like ham and bean soup but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen, this tasty, quick version will leave you with a satisfied smile. Cover and slow cook for 5 -6 hours on high, or 7 -8 hours on low, until beans have softened and begun to fall apart. Add ham hock and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Once it comes to a boil, add in undrained pinto beans. Each bite is hearty and satisfying; its the kind of soup that makes you feel cozy, warm, and cared for. Thanks so much for your feedback! I recommend Great Northern Beans or Cannellini, but feel free to use your favorite. Not as easy, but would you soak and cook the beans first? Youll find it easier to freeze the soup in individual portions, that way, you dont need to thaw a huge batch for one bowl. ). Simple, hearty ham and bean soup is the kind of.css-1c1h30u{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;text-decoration-thickness:0.0625rem;text-decoration-color:inherit;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:#12837c;-webkit-transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;}.css-1c1h30u:hover{color:#595959;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;}easy dinner recipe you can fall back on again and again, especially in cold months. You can also ask the deli department for a thick-cut slice of ham. Saut the garlic until fragrant (30 seconds - 1 minute). Transfer to a large stockpot with ham bone, ham, tomato sauce, onions, celery, bouquet garni, parsley, baking soda, salt, and pepper. In a large slow cooker, combine the ham hocks, beans, broth, celery, carrots, onion, garlic and thyme sprigs. You sure can! The night before, put the dried beans in a strainer and thoroughly rinse. If the liquid level drops too low, add a cup of broth. RECIPES. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, cumin and red pepper flakes. Finish the Soup. Jean in MA Canned Pintos: Beans are a great source of fiber, protein and a host of nutrients. Simmer. Ham and bean soup is also great with tomato and cucumber salad, fries, or mashed sweet potatoes with breadcrumbs on top. Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup4-Ingredient Potato SoupPanera Broccoli Cheddar SoupChick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla SoupNew England Clam Chowder. Now, on to this ham and bean soup with canned beans. Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge. Reduce heat; cook for 15 minutes or until heated through. Your email address will not be published. Cook and stir until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Your email address will not be published. It may seem like a long time, but this method is the most recommended because it allows soup to defrost gradually. Let it simmer for 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Bring to a boil. Using high-quality canned beans will give you a smooth and creamy soup I promise nobody will know you didnt go to the trouble of soaking then cooking dried beans! Now I look forward to a spiral ham at holiday timeso I can make this soup during the winter. For this ham and bean soup, you can use Great Nothern Beans, which have a lovely nutty flavor. Skim any accumulated foam from the surface. Add the Cannellini beans, ham and 6 cups water to the stock pot. I share recipes for people who LOVE good food, but want to keep things simple :). In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat about cup broth. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. The original version included celery, garlic, parsley, and possibly mashed potatoes as . Add carrots, onion, celery, garlic, mustard, and bay leaves to the pot with beans; stir well. Thank you so much for your feedback and recipe rating! Learn how your comment data is processed. Soak the dried beans overnight. Put your ham bone in a large stock pot, Dutch oven, or slow cooker. Allow to simmer for about 2 hours, stirring every now and then. }, published on Feb 01, 2022, updated Oct 08, 2022. If you dont have evaporated milk, go ahead and use regular milk. Now, the question is: should you pre-soak the beans overnight? Bring to a boil. Place meat back into the cooker and finish cooking. Stir together chicken stock, Great Northern beans, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic, celery, carrots, and onion in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. When the onion and garlic are cooked, pour in the chicken broth, water, ham, and beans. Stir to combine. Dice it into small pieces to make it more palatable. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stove or in the microwave. Heat over medium low until the beans are warmed through. Add the slurry to the bubbling soup. This soup looks so comforting and I love those flavors. . I would like to get just a printed version of the recipe without Bring mixture to a boil while stirring. Will the beans get too mushy if I put them in at the beginning? Slowly add in evaporated milk and chicken brown, stirring constantly. Add the ham and cook for a further 2 minutes, then pour in the stock. You keep the smoky flavor and the meat, and you get rid of the stuff that you dont want! Bring to a boil. Please see recipe footnote about final cook time. 2. Note: While cooking, a, Add CARROTS 20-30 minutes before serving and continue cooking, stirring as needed. Your email address will not be published. 04.25.2022. Welcome to my farmhouse kitchen in the foothills of Virginias Blue Ridge Mountains. .css-pf75fd{color:#12837c;display:block;font-family:Mogan,Georgia,Times,Serif;font-weight:normal;margin-bottom:0.625rem;margin-top:0;-webkit-text-decoration:none;text-decoration:none;}@media (any-hover: hover){.css-pf75fd:hover{color:link-hover;}}@media(max-width: 48rem){.css-pf75fd{font-size:1.25rem;line-height:1.1;}}@media(min-width: 40.625rem){.css-pf75fd{font-size:1.25rem;line-height:1.1;}}@media(min-width: 48rem){.css-pf75fd{font-size:1.375rem;line-height:1.1;}}@media(min-width: 64rem){.css-pf75fd{font-size:2.00879rem;line-height:1.1;}}Iced Oatmeal Cookies Are a Nostalgic Treat, Chicken Florentine Is an Easy One-Skillet Dinner, Pass the Syrup! Stored in an airtight container,the soup will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Turn heat up to high to bring broth to a boil then add beans and ham. 2023 The Seasoned Mom. Return ham from ham hocks to soup. Add shredded ham back to the cooker and serve warm. All rights reserved. In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and onion in butter until tender. To the slow cooker, add the ham bone (or diced or shredded ham), stock, 2 cups water, tomatoes, potatoes, bay leaf, smoked paprika, chili powder, black pepper, and rosemary or thyme. Simmer until warm. Fresh leaves are more aromatic than dried, and you can finely mince them to season kabobs and Mediterranean dishes. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil. White Bean Toast . Add beans, spices, ham bone, onion and water to your slow cooker. This slow cooker ham and bean soup will make the most of the ham bone and any ham leftovers. Heat 2 tablespoons OLIVE OIL in a 4-quart soup pot over medium-high heat. Shrimp and Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing, Grilled Steak Salad with Tomatoes & Avocado, Pressure-Cooker English Pub Split Pea Soup, 30 Crockpot Chicken Soup Recipes for Busy Nights, Do not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Such great comfort food. Had a ham bone in freezer waiting for a good recipe. Add garlic and dried thyme then saute until garlic is extremely fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook on low for 60 minutes. Add enough water or broth to Ratings: 87 Calories: 163 per serving Category: Soup Wipe out the skillet and return it to medium heat. So how about a good sour dough toast w/ cheese or garlic butter? White Bean Toast, Lima Bean Soup, Lentil Loaf, and Black Bean Brownies are recipes you can count on for nutrition, flavor and affordability. Smoky and rich, this homemade, comforting ham and bean soup recipe comes together quickly on the stovetop or in the slow cooker! Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions. But realize that you won't get the benefit of the long slow cook of the ham bone, so I recommend a smoked ham hock. Place water and beans in a large pot; bring to a boil over high heat. If you have yet to try our Tuscan Soup (seen below), then go make it right now. Stir in beans. Let leftovers cool completely. Right now, Im making it weekly because my four year old always wants that white soup.. (more), 1 lb thick-cut ham, cut into 1 inch pieces. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.