Its time to work together for the betterment of all of our citizens. Outling is a graduate of UNCG and Duke University Law School and has been running for mayor since December 2020, when the election was scheduled for October and November 2021. Throw the bums out. He also voted to give GPD a raise to their starting pay up to $41,500, a number not even on par with the area average. She is a strong supporter of the Greensboro Police Department (GPD) and is in favor of giving police officers a raise in order to help the GPD which is about 100 officers short right now fill its ranks. Ultimately, this motion did not pass through City Council. We need rental housing that isnt 50% plus of our income, more houses that are at a price point where people can afford to buy them, and a chance for more people to gain equity in a racially biased banking system. Guided By Experience: A Comparative Analysis of the U.S. Military Responses to Natural Disasters in Haiti (2010 & 2021) Dec 2021 - Mar 2022 Article for the 2022 spring issue of the Journal of . He stayed silent when he had the chance to speak up at council meetings and publicly in support of our police department. Voters in that district will make their choice July 26. Lets show folks what our city is capable of, not because we are reacting to controversary, but rather we are visioning for our future. Wilkins is a strong supporter of the Greensboro Police Department, unlike Thurm who voted to turn down a grant for the Police Department from the Justice Department the city had been receiving for years. Matheny is running against Chip Roth, who is the husband of former Greensboro City Manager Denise Turner Roth. This was all supposed to happen in 2021 as part of the regular cycle for municipal elections, but then there was that census issue, which delated population counts, which delayed the ability to draw the lines for the citys five electoral districts. Im running because I want Greensboro to not only see butfulfillits potential. However, the way the City Council implemented this had the unwanted effect of experienced workers with decades on the job being paid less for their years of service than new hires. Proof positive that were fed up with the turd sandwich we have in place presently. Food needs to be up front, of course. VOTER GUIDE: 2021 Municipal Elections. Dont vote for who your neighbor tells you to vote for. , Guilford County Health Department leaders looks at, Family shot in head at Florida home: sheriff, Infants death linked to contaminated breast pump,, Winston-Salem woman is typewriter wordsmith, Man charged with murder after bodies found in NC, Woman arrested after 9 puppies found in trash bag, 4 charged after assault, stabbing in Burl. I will use all I have to research and provide the answers we are desperately seeking in order to serve the residents of Greensboro. I decided at that time to become more involved in our city, and I started learning everything I could about how our city functions. Not a fan of Nancy either. Please flush yourself down the nearest toilet and take Nancy with you. We cant win with a trickle-down approach. I imagine you are aware of the number of 911 calls the county receives. Our parks, trails, venues, entertainment, businesses and restaurants are top notch and I wish that every resident is able to enjoy them! ZACK MATHENY: Greensboro is experiencing tremendous growth with new jobs such as ToyotaandBoom and Im confident the list will continue to grow. GREENSBORO Five people will be honored by the city Monday for their efforts to champion civil rights. Yes that is a county service but they are dispatched to city police. TONY WILKINS: I have lived in Greensboro my entire life. He is currently suing the city and Vaughan over a public records request, and in 2015, he sued the city over redevelopment money. And, lastly, we must ensure that the elderly are allowed to stay in their homes by better funding housing safety nets like the Housing Coalition, and organizations of the like. 2 former council members among 47 applicants to fill Kennedy's vacant seat on Greensboro City Council. Roth was then appointed by President Barrack Obama to be the senior advisor for strategic communications for the Small Business Administration and, in 2017, founded Roth & Associates, which does strategic communication and business consulting. Believe in Greensboro will result in solutions that have positive outcomes for the way that every existing, and prospective, resident and business lives, works, and engages in Greensboro. Screenshot via Greensboro Television Network. We are growing and we need leadership that can plan that growth so that our housing, jobs and transportation work at peak level at all times. It is generally accepted that voter turnout in the primary will be much higher than a stand-alone City Council primary because of the statewide races on the ballot and that the turnout in the stand-alone general election on July 26 will be much lower than normal because its being held during the summer, with all its distractions. Over the past years, you have demonstrated a great ability to lead our city with integrity. Woke = Broke. I wish we can find ways to continuously support our neighbors in all successes. Defund that mess & Cure the Council instead! Back when she was a councilmember, Vaughan had to be recused from a vote on reopening the White Street Landfill. There are also four candidates in District 2, and there are 10 for the at-large seats. Fax: (336) 763-2585, P.O. But it damaged the perception of the councils honesty and transparency which takes time to rebuild. The Rhino has had a long tradition of providing news in Guilford County. When I think about Greensboros economy, Im not thinking about if the rich are getting richer Im thinking about what we can do to keep parents from having more moments like that. The three seats that will not be contested in. Thats the reason Id like to serve for the next four years to see some of the things that Ive started working on come to fruition. I have been affiliated with the American Association of University Women (AAUW), Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, and the Junior League of Greensboro. It took me 3 years to clear my name of numerous charges. But, to live in our city we need more. My current role as president of Downtown Greensboro, Inc. has further opened my eyes to our strengths and weaknesses, and with a new city manager on board, now more than ever I see the need for partnership across all districts to ensure our city succeeds for all citizens. Residents feel safe and secure throughout the city. GOLDIE WELLS: I wish we had been able to address the Marcus Deon Smith case in a different way. Do you have to make political promises to seek an election? Oh wow, he voted to accept federal money that agencies, police related or not, always accept (free money). Strong economic growth that provides quality jobs. Rossabi has been running for an at-large seat on the City Council since March 2021. Voters that are indecisive about the District 5 City Council race must either have no political opinions or have trouble making decisions. I understand the time commitment of holding office, and I understand how important this city is to my family which is one reason I want to do everything in my power to provide the best community not just for my family, but for all families in the Triad. Its not a valid plan. We were asking for $15 an hour more than 10 years ago, and that is the absolute bare minimum. District 2 City Councilmember Goldie Wells filed to run for reelection. CECILE CC CRAWFORD: I am running for City Council because I want people to be able to afford a safe and decent place to live, because there are too many people who work hard and do not bring home enough money to take care of themselves and their families, and because the violence in this city is not going to stop until we address the root causes. From my experience with the city, it would be irresponsible for me not to be on the ballot. We are way past the 11th hour for this. Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. We have more people moving to Greensboro than we have housing for which is driving up the cost of housing to a level a lot of those who work in the city soon cannot afford to live in the city. Local governments should rely on supply and demand and assess each project individually. We do this through public transportation that supports all parts of the city, parks and a parks and rec system that offer great programs and beautiful spaces, homes that everyone can afford, and jobs that pay wages so that people do not need two or three jobs to make ends meet. This is Roths first run for public office, but he is no stranger to politics. Get the Android Weather app from Google Play, Tom Sizemore, Saving Private Ryan actor, dies at, Man hit, killed in W-S on Peters Creek Parkway: police, Prayer against violence event happening in W-S Saturday, Search underway for driver after NC children almost, Potential for damaging winds as storms roll through, WATCH: Snowboarder escapes narrowly avalanche, Storms to sweep through NC, isolated tornado possible, DCs cherry blossoms are confused, arriving early, WWE Monday Night Raw is coming to Greensboro, A sweet tradition at First Presbyterian Church, How the North Carolina Zoo is introducing their lions, NC family bakes bread to help earthquake victims, Bojangles giving away free sausage biscuits on Friday, Swing State with Mark Walker & Odell Cleveland, SCOTUS asks to be briefed about whats going on with, Michael Steele on Marjorie Taylor Greene: Just shut, North Carolina bills aim to protect cultural regalia, Fla. bill would make bloggers register, face fines, Federal workers told to delete TikTok from devices, Thomas Martens, Molly Corbett trial moved to Forsyth, Some fear Nazi banners, power grid attack connected, Video about NC substation attack shared in Md plot, FBI offering $25k for info for NC substation attacks, HPU fires head mens basketball coach G.G. My Go B.I.G. A North Carolina city council fired a man for 'white privilege and entitlement' after he refused to address a Black woman by her professional title. Qns sent five questions to each candidate running for the District 27 City Council seat including Kerryanne Burke, Jason Clark, Leroy Gasdsen, Rene Hill, James Johnson, Al-Hassan Kanu, Harold. The mayor has one vote. Fostering relationships in our community by encouraging events that include police invitations will help to build more trust as well. That we become aware, on mass, of the true history of our country, from Nov. 22, 1963, to now. The city council and real estate developers, in my opinion, should collaborate. I amrunning at large to support all of Greensboro. Your email address will not be published. DGI, by comparison, is largely funded through a Business Improvement District tax paid by downtown property owners. I have a problem with Outling and Vaughn who say they support but in their actions do not support our police department.