I've spent more time here than at any other location in Florida, but there are still areas I haven't covered yet. Trout action is getting better and better which is odd because most of the time they bite best when the water is cooler, but it seems they have woken up a bit with the warmer waters. Since I'd never paddled this area, I took advantage of the circumstances and did some recon. Fort De Soto Park is the largest park within the Pinellas County Park System and consists of over 1,136 acres made up of five interconnected islands. GO FISH! Fort De Soto was named America's Top Beach for 2009 by Tripadvisor, the world's largest online travel community. Even bridges and structures inland, around those sandy areas are holding pompano. So to avoid getting cut off, increase the strength of your outfit by using 12 to 24 inches of heavier line as a leader. The bridge is lighted at night, so anglers . This is a magical time of year in west central Florida. The sun will be at it's highest point at 12:43. Pannama Island - 6km The pier that Marlie and Joebert fish from lacks advisory signs warning fishers of possible mercury contamination. , , It is 500 feet long. they open every day of the week and at 8 pm. For fishing, stronger tides are often favourable as they cause stronger , Limit. You also need to cross check local fishing regulations. For shallow water fishing the twilight periods are often the most productive fishing times, , Currently the tide is. No motorized vehicles allowed. 16:06, 07:32 - , Likewise, a small fish (my current job) is better than no fish (unemployment). So we'll be in the grounds first light tomorrow in the wahoo mode. You may also purchase a license over the phone at 1-888-FISH-FLORIDA (347-4356). Often fish will also move to certain feeding areas depending on the wind direction. , Out at the end is an irregularly shaped area that adds another 100m (109 yd) of fishing area. Also, deeper edges of local flats where water is moving is a good place to find them too. The destination: Fort DeSoto. Everything You Need To Know About Fort Desoto Cing Exploring Fort De Soto Park In St Petersburg Jetset Jansen Ta Bay Fishing Reports By Capt Mike Goodwine Fishing Report Snook Bite Remains Strong Around The Ta Bay Area Hubbard S Marina Fishing Report 5 17 19 Deep Sea Dolphin Watching Tours John P Madeira Beach Fl . can Please call Sea Landing for reservations at (805) 564-6753. 19:01, 11:59 - Saint Jean Key - 3km Unlimited access to the best fishing spot finder in the game. As you can see, it ranges from shallow to real shallow. In 2005, "Dr. Beach" named Fort De Soto the nation's No. km. , , Classifieds or Fishing Gear Deals. 3/1 unit, New AC units, new water heater, new paint, big balcony, open kitchen, right on 27th st, washer/dryer connections, excellent lighting, close to schools, main streets and the beach, close to Seawall and Pleasure Pier for entertainment.. Close to everything in Galveston. Whether you are sitting on the beach or kayaking near the still waters edge at Fort De Soto, you find yourself absorbed in the abundance of natural beauty as far as the eye can see. Visa, Mastercard and American Express are accepted. The taste of sheepshead is as good tasting as fish gets. Get all the fishing intel you need to start catching more, and bigger, fish. Look for them on the shallower flats. at the same time the park opens. There are huge swarms of fish off the Fort Desoto pier but they are small. Enter Your Email Address. Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday.After hours, please leave message. , Mead Point - 13km For more information, visit the project page. Earlier in the morning when its calm and water is clear is best. Local fishing piers have been great places for mackerel like the skyway fishing pier, gulf pier at fort de soto, big pier 60 in clearwater, Anna Maria rod and reel pier, and the cortez fishing pier. Cunningham Key - 5km A good rule of thumb: Double the weight of the line. The day's big winner was Tom Hilton of San Clemente who scored a 293-pound whopper yellowfin with a sardine on a 7/0 Super Mutu hook, 130-pound red line, 130-pound Spectra backing on a Penn 50T reel blueprinted by Cal Sheets, and a 760H Calstar rod tied by Sheridan Stanton (also on the trip). , Ft. DeSoto - Bay Pier: Fort DeSoto County Park, St. Petersburg 727-582-2267 500' Skyway Fishing Pier State Park North: North Side of Sunshine Skyway Bridge 727-865-0668: Of course temperature has also a strong effect on fishing and comfort on the water. De Soto Point - 1km The Pinellas County Commission approved a $4.7 million bid Tuesday to remove and replace the Fort De Soto Bay Pier. September is always a spectacular fishing month at Merry Pier in Pass-A-Grille, and this year proved no exception. 07:03, 16:06 - , Mullet Key Bayou - 3km We even caught a 45lb kingfish while reeling in a vermillion snapper. We also saw solid numbers of porgies and bigger vermillion snapper too! , Redfish action is going well around the local grass flats, mangrove shorelines and oyster bars. West Central Florida Forecast. , 09:02, 19:43 - Our deep sea charters have been getting limits of gag grouper on almost every trip, along with several nice Hogfish and Mangrove Snapper to add to the dinner plate. I took a couple hundred pictures (and doesn't that polarizing filter make those clouds look nice?). You dont have to use super heavy tackle with the red grouper as they wont be as likely to rock you up and break you off like the gag grouper do. The set up was good. By that, I mean I got to the destination at about the ideal time to be going home. Skyway Piers. Zip: 33715. Grassy Point - 14km Critical Bayou - 14km , However, if one of them hooked up I may have changed my stance. , Dog & Cat Friendly Fitness Center Pool Dishwasher Refrigerator Kitchen In Unit Washer & Dryer Walk-In Closets. Often at the start of the trip we will just rig up the flat line with a dead threadfin but as bait comes up, we will switch that out with a blue runner or even a spot tail. 15:22, 07:02 - , We are getting a half dozen to a dozen of the mackerel trolling on the way out and back on our big party boats on our 5-hour half day. Deadman Key - 15km , By continuing on our website, you consent to our use of cookies. , The weather plays an important role in fishing. It's also a very fishy area with easy access to the beach, the flats, the mangrove shorelines, you name it. For up-to-date information, look up the fishing report for the water of your choice. Perico Bayou - 14km center shows the current moon phase which is a, The Tideclock displays the tide status and the hours until the next My usual target fish at this pier is sheepshead, but you can catch a wide variety of fish species. 48.3 mi. Fishing reports for fort desoto are updated each week, usually by Drop me an email and I'll see if I can dig up more specifics for you when I get a little more time. , It is 500 feet long. , No, there isnt one for this place. Tarpon Key - 7km A falling or low barometer License activation is immediate and permanent license will be mailed with 48 hours. Just last week it looked as if we would never touch our gaffs again. Pompano are getting better and better around local passes and along our beaches too. Fletcher Point - 14km DECISIONS, DECISIONS: Every spring and fall, anglers flock to the waters around Fort De Soto for the annual Spanish mackerel migration. , All rights reserved. The 12-inch mortar battery, located at the fort for which the park was named, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Some of the best are the sand holes due east of the toll booth for the pay bridge as well as the due north of the old dirt canoe launch, along with the entire area of East Beach. currents , Although high pressure is usually good for fishing, steep pressure changes often trigger feeding frenzies and are great times for fishing. Both fish will hit live or artificial baits. , There is space for hundreds of cars in the parking lot area and of course, handicapped spots right on the beach beside the pier. Scott said he fished with sardines on 6/0 ringed Super Mutu hooks, on 100-pound Ande line, 130-pound Spectra backing, a Tiagra 50W reel and a Calstar 655 TSS rod. Here's a better look, thanks to Google Earth. rising barometer and also the time just before it is falling. B = Where I paddledThe glory of this area is that you can almost always find a break from the wind, or the sun, or your fellow man. These guys are all about the artificial shrimp like the DOA shrimp or paddle tail soft plastics, but you can get them on them on hard baits like the mirrodine too. NAS Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base. It is not *the* job, so my search continues daily. Whale Island - 7km Fort De Soto Park Fishing Pier ~ Gulf Side 3000 Pinellas Bayway South Tierra Verde, FL 33715 Above address is the toll booth area. Selected Weather Station: Saint Pete Beach, United States of America, 09:49 - Shell Key Shoal - 6km United States. Also, this coming weeks windy mornings will make it harder to target them as they like clearer calmer waters, but its an east wind most of the week so the beaches should still be clear enough to target them in the troughs that run parallel to the shoreline. 11:49, 22:17 - The trail is open year-round and is . Joe Island - 14km You can support us by subscribing to our Youtube Channel and sharing Fishingreminder on Facebook. We see some big mangroves come up on the small to medium sized pinfish too. And they were very serious about this whole fishing thing - rarely speaking to each other - watching their rod tips closely. The tide calendar is available worldwide. These guys love the cut thread fin or small strips of cut squid wing. 1-Day 3-Day 5-Day. , . Picture Forum. 21:43, 01:36 - West of the Bay Pier, and around the 'elbow' of Mullet Key, as you approach the fort pier, the shoreline is heavily reinforced. 20 lb bait, medium size Flatfalls and colt snipers and a few popper bites. September Merry Pier Fishing Report. Oh, and if you want to play music, grill, sleep in a tent or in your car ON the pier, just go to the Sunshine Skyway Pier south of here by 30 minutes. However, the pompano jigs are super popular. , It was not wide open but we were able to pick at them for a few hours. But the summer is good as well, and anglers fish all through the winter months as weather permits. These guys love the little cuts of the flats, edges, or potholes and they will often be in groups so where you find one there is often a few more. That said, theres nothing that restrictive and its always fun to spend a day or evening fishing at the Gulf Fishing Pier. Still, the "cove" where I launched was very protected, so I had a pretty easy paddle making my way to the back side of the beach. All rights reserved. Likewise, a small fish (my current job) is better than no fish (unemployment). I do the best I can where I'm at now. If youre looking for that, the St. Pete Pier has a nice restaurant up off the water on the top floor of their pier in downtown St. Petersburg. 6445 Love Dr, Irving, TX 75039. compared to their average. 02:53, 13:22 - 7 am. However, I can still check the job boards from my phone during lunch. Fish tend to congregate in the deep pockets or along the edges of channels where they find it easier to ambush prey. You age, you compromise, and you keep your personal bow pointing toward a destination while savoring the journey. Another amazing example of the importance of the parks natural ecosystems is the more than 328 species of birds that ornithologists have documents over a 60-year span. and more motion on the sea bed. The tourism site Visit St. Pete/Clearwater is the countys main resource for visitors, Parks and Conservation Resources Pier hours are currently 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week, until further . fort desoto Fishing Reports For up-to-date information, look up the fishing report for the water of your choice. They were so thick we were catching pelagics while dropping live baits to bottom and retrieving snapper from the bottom! Look for the cuts, pockets, edges, or points adjacent to the flats to find them grouped up and ready to eat. License activation is immediate and permanent license will be mailed with 48 hours. Phone: 727-582-2267. It's been said that you never leave fish to find fish. 1 Beach. 472. So, with no excuses in front of me, I planned a day on the water, a Monday. My handwriting is lousy, but my typing skills haven't diminished a bit. The Bay Pier is shorter (500 feet) than the Gulf Pier, but its every bit as attractive to anglers. their catches. Common Fish Caught at the Gulf Fishing Pier. Pardee Key - 7km I kept the gear minimal, less to load, less to unload. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. This often makes it harder to target those hogfish that are more leader shy and dont like the stirred up murkier waters we get near shore when the weather is blowing. Team Supreme. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Fort DeSoto Dog Beach: Passage Key Inlet (off Bean Pt.) There is a $5 admission charge to enter the park and for parking. Happy Halloween. - Completely rehabbed and ready for new tenants. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. I walked the beach a while, made a few half-hearted casts anyway. However, some nice ones were caught using the double snell rig and dead cut threadfin. , , County: Pinellas. Have another rod equipped with a soft-bodied jig to fish the grass beds for spotted sea trout. The pelagic action was on fire this last weekend on the 39 hour. 13:59, 23:32 - My name is Vern Lovic. Gus Point - 15km It's a sad thing for sure. The great thing about fishing on both piers is that no fishing license is required. "I knew he was heavy," remarked Tom, "but he bit on the last bait on the last day at the last stop of the day. 12:34, 23:02 - (817) 969-3815. *By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Hubbards Marina 170 Boardwalk Pl. 2-3 Beds. If you dont have your own kayak, rentals are available at the park. (727) 464-4062 TDDPhone Numbers and Office Locations. East Beach - 4km I stepped on one in Clearwater near the pier and it was a real bad experience. In low light conditions predators have better cover for their ambush and often hunt in shallow Tide Times and Heights. Copyright document.write(new Date().getFullYear())2021 VISIT FLORIDA. Jones Bayou - 13km , Cabbage Key - 7km There is no restroom on the pier. Virtual Tour. A = Where I parked. channel, Fishing Anna Maria Sound - 14km Isla del Sol - 10km The weather is supposed to be getting much better and shouldn't be a factor on the trip. Similar to river mouths, harbour entrances are also great places to fish as lots of fish will move in and out with the rising and falling tides. Fort De Soto piers have been reporting nice catches of pompano too very well, especially in the earlier morning hours using live shrimp or sand fleas on the bottom. , 07:35, 17:01 - Gulf pier fort desoto reports???? If the beach is shallow and the water is clear then twilight times are usually the best times, especially when they coincide with a major or minor fishing time. Soft plastic paddle tails, mirrolure mirrodines, or DOA shrimp are some great artificial options to target snook. That would also be a good spot to search for pompano. That chart really doesn't do this location justice, so how about a post card view: Looking for a high quality fishing kayak at a reasonable price? Managing Entity: Pinellas County Parks and Recreation. , 09:32, 20:40 - 800-foot-long boat launching facility with eleven floating docks. Fort De Soto Park Nature Trail. Still, many people of all ages. Jackass Key - 6km 02:13, 12:41 - Emerson Point - 13km Also, the fishing piers along the beaches work well to give you a shot at a pompano. Beaches Deals . Dans. , If youre wondering about whether its crowded or not, I can help. Fort De Soto Park - Fishing. Summer Resort Key - 5km There are even lots of sheepshead you can catch from shore. Generally considered an easy route, it takes an average of 2 h 45 min to complete. Iowa. So a total of 640m (700 yd) of space to fish. So now, what will I do with my free, Some years ago, a man called to chat with me about a canoe trip in Canada that I was leading for the. Both have bait shops and food concessions, and both are in the path of fish flowing in and out of Tampa Bay.