Liaigre eventually stepped down from his studio in 2016, handing over the position of creative director to long-term collaborator Frauke Meyer. ", Christophe Caillaud, Liaigre's CEO, adds: "An eponymous brand necessarily identifies with its creator or founder. The most famous are those of the Maldives, Tuamotu, Kiribati, Bikini. The hotels new-old Modernism and loftlike rooms attracted movie stars (including Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe, who felt so at home there that he once hurled a phone at a desk clerk) and designers like Mr. Klein, who lived there before its official opening and liked his rooms so much that he hired Mr. Liaigre to design his own apartment at the Police Building, a few blocks south. Liaigres rooms were graphic and confident, minimal but not anemic. And he certainly made our ubiquitous seven-foot-sofas seem silly. Ann Pyne (McMillen, Inc.), interior designer, Christian Liaigre was one of those incredibly rare talents who made me want to be a designer. Christian Liaigre is a French interior designer and decorator. The showroom opens in June 2018 and will present classic pieces of furniture alongside new designs shown in the US for the first time. The simple lines and geometry of his iconic furniture pieces and the rich palettes of bronze, beige, and grey which flooded the rooms he created are an inspiration. Christian Liaigre, who fashioned homes for the likes of Karl Lagerfeld and Calvin Klein, has passed away at the age of 77. ", Belgian architect Vincent Van Duysen additionally took to Instagram to celebrate the life of Liaigre, revealing he had been a fan of the late designer's work since the end of the 1980s: "Since then, he's been a great source of inspiration to me, not only as a creative mind but also as an overall stylish yet humble human being.". The living room at Liaigres home on St. Barts. He is continually in search of the unknown, while observing psychology, philosophy, and the influence of culture and society on architecture and design. The Mercer, which Andr Balazs opened in 1997, introduced Mr. Liaigre to the United States. Every item on this page was chosen by an ELLE Decor editor. Visit the SuperYacht Times online shop to view and order the latest market reports and newspaper issues. Your Privacy Choices: Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads. Plus occasional updates on Dezeens services and breaking news. It evokes an annular coral reef of the warm seas, enclosing a lagoon communicating with the open sea. Frauke Meyer, creative director of Christian Liaigre. Like many of us, Liaigres living room table often doubled as his work areaa place where masterpieces were created. Through precise use of space and light, basing his design on local cultures and traditions, choice of materials and a special love of art and crafts, Christian Liaigre has managed to combine certain modesty with great elegance. Price for these items starts at $2,752 and tops out at $39,085, while pieces like these can sell for $7,200 on average. Christian Liaigre: Remembering the Iconic Work of the French Creative The iconic interior designer of French descent has passed away last week at the age of 77 and leaves behind an unquestionable legacy of restrained aesthetics that will be long remembered. What a gem he was. Chanae Richards, interior designer, Although widely known for his hospitality design, Christian Liaigre was among the most influential and widely copied designers of furniture and residential interiors of the 20th century. When studio Liaigre announced their founder's death over Instagram, tributes poured in from notable industry figures. The spaces he created are a wonderful gift. Kelly Behun, interior designer, His interiors inspired a generation of designers, myself included. "His taste and style was unmatched and his refined simplicity and elegance stood above everybody else. Christian Liaigre was born on Aug. 10, 1943, in La Rochelle, France. A $77-Million Les Lalanne Auction Breaks Records, AD PROs Essential Guide to Maison & Objet 2023, Off to Paris? Mr. Liaigre sold his company to a group of investors in 2016. That table has been by my side for over a decade now. Already in the project for Hotel Montalembert he showed his ability to combine different sources of inspiration and transform them into an immediately recognizable style. Liaigres work had a butchness to it, he added. The simple lines and geometry of his iconic furniture pieces and the rich palettes of bronze, beige, and grey which flooded the rooms he created are an inspiration. In-stock we have 1 vintage editions of these items, while there is also 0 modern edition to . When studio Liaigre posted the news on Instagram, tributes poured in from anyone who had met, worked with, or influenced the iconic designer. . Hotelier Ian Schrager also commented, The world is less without him. Christian Liaigre is something of a legend in the world of French design. There was always a sense of place, strong narrative, as well as a feeling of playfulness and of joy. Oliver M. Furth, interior designerChristian was one of those people who was innately chic. The Wall Street Journal described Liaigre as a "great minimalist". In a time when chaos reigns, we crave interiors that make us feel calm and balanced. All rights reserved, L&L Luce & Light illuminates the Munch Museum in Oslo. [Roberta Mutti]. Other high-profile clients followed, including Mr. Murdoch and his wife at the time, Wendi Murdoch, for whom Mr. Liagre designed a triplex in SoHo and a 184-foot sailing yacht named Rosehearty. Dear User, please complete the form below in order to recommend the Artdaily newsletter to someone you know. French interior designer Christian Liaigre dies aged 77 It could not be taught. Christian Liaigre Death : French - Death-Obituary-News | Facebook As an interior designer, he was revered for his restrained aesthetic approach. Mr. Pawson remembered meeting Mr. Liaigre just once in a chance encounter at the Mercer. [1][2] In 1985, he opened his first store, and he designed the Htel Montalembert in 1990. As a designer I have always been inspired by his work and loved incorporating his thoughtfully modern and timeless designs into many of the residential spaces I have designed. 2023 Design Diffusion. Christian Liaigre Death | Christian Liaigre Obituary - On the 5th of September 2020, Junior (@fenaldinho) confirmed the death of Christian Liaigre a legendary french minimalist designer has passed. His preference to work largely with private clients is clear because he had few public-facing projects. We asked design-world luminaries to share their thoughts of Liaigre and the legacy he left behind. He helped us to see beyond that way of thinking. Ann Pyne (McMillen, Inc.), interior designer, Christian Liaigre was one of those incredibly rare talents who made me want to be a designer. [9] He died on 2 September 2020 at the age of 77. His admiration for arts and minimalistic designs led to the highly sought after and copied Christian Liaigre Signature; one of the unique styles over the last three decades. The first boutique hotel on the Rive Gauche, Paris, Hotel Montalembert represents an important chapter in the history of interior architecture between 1980 and 1990. To revisit this article, select My Account, thenView saved stories. In my first commission, I remember being excited to use a few of his meticulously crafted, stylish pieces. The French creative and founder of design studio Liaigre died on Wednesday 2 September. With a palpable increased vigor under the creative direction of Christian's longtime protge, Frauke Meyer (Christians wife, Dborah Comte-Liaigre, remains as artistic director of the company's interior design service), the brand's ethos remains unchanged, though infused with new energy. African sculptures next to Louis XV furniture, the neutrality of the architecture., He added, People were beguiled by that hotel.. The designer Christian Liaigre in an undated photo. His ideology derived from the belief that comfort does not lie in trivial affluence but delicacy and rareness. The passing of the iconic French interior designer Christian Liaigre was sadly announced earlier this week. Ad Choices, How Legendary French Brand Christian Liaigre Is Keeping Things Fresh, With all eyes on the new Madison Avenue showroom, due to open this summer, its exciting times ahead for the French interiors brand, Jeremiah Brent Makes Hospitality Debut, Coil + Drift Moves Upstate, and More News. The living room features chairs, stools, lamps and tables by furniture designer Christian Liaigre is photographed for Los Angeles Times on January. I fell in love in his environments, I conceived a child in his environments, I wrote a book in his environments, and for good luck Im pretty sure Ive put at least one piece of his furniture or lighting in every one of my projects, in hopes that some of that Liaigre cool would rub off. And there was not this expensive and exclusive model of hotel with small rooms in a cast-iron building in SoHo. He could take the most humble piece of furniture like a bench, stool or hook and elevate itnot by embellishing, but by whittling it down to its essence Rayman Boozer, interior designer, On a trip to Paris in 1992, I happened on the Hotel Montalembert and thought, who is this designer? Creators Similar to Christian Liaigre Christian Astuguevieille Shop All Christian Astuguevieille Furniture If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. To me, he was the best and most talented designer in the world." I always thought of him as our generations Jean-Michel Frank and I have no doubt his legacy will live on for generations to come. Brad Ford, interior designer, His vision went beyond the field of interior design. Lee F. Mindel, the New York-based architect wrote, Never distracted by pyrotechnics, he created spaces and the components of spaces that stand the test of time. Christian Liaigre www.lefrenchdesign.org The creative director and founder of the design studio Liaigre, in his 35 years of work, designed homes for icons like Rupert Murdoch and Calvin Klein. Se continui ad utilizzare questo sito noi assumiamo che tu ne sia felice. Remembering Christian Liaigre, the Legendary French Interior Designer But his love for horses took him to his grandfather to help him breed racehorses. At the end of the Eighties, neither boutique hotels nor hotels with home-like interior design were so popular. Christian Liaigre - Designer Biography and Price History on 1stDibs Log In Sign Up Furniture Lighting Decor & Gifts Art Jewelry & Watches Fashion World of 1stDibs Sale Auctions Sorry, we're currently experiencing technical difficulties. In this weekly roundup, AD PRO has everything you need to know. Christian Liaigre: Remembering the Iconic Work of the French - PullCast His father was a veterinarian, and his grandfather bred horses. Daily updates on the latest design and architecture vacancies advertised on Dezeen Jobs. Among them, a large apartment for Rupert Murdoch, who wanted an apartment like The Mercer Hotel (as Liaigre said). Charles Curkin is ELLE Decor's Articles Editor, covering everything related to the architecture, interior design, real estate, and travel industries, and has previously written for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Paris Review. News from Dezeen Events Guide, a listings guide covering the leading design-related events taking place around the world. He was a pioneer in his own right and created a look that no one could matchbut they all sure did try to. Michelle Gerson, interior designer, 30 Bedroom Decor Ideas For An Incredibly Sophisticated Space, The 22 Best Living Room Ideas For Beautiful Home Design, Reports: 3 children dead, 2 wounded in attack at Texas home, Kellyanne Conway, George Conway To Divorce After Decadeslong Marriage: Report, School punished teen girl for working out in sports bra in 100-degree Texas heat, ACLU says, U.S. court won't require FAA to make airplane seat size, spacing rules, 'Extremely dangerous': Spike in illegal crossings at Canada-Vermont border has feds sounding alarm. To revisit this article, visit My Profile, thenView saved stories. I took the first check I received from my first design job and bought a tiny bronze Liaigre drinks table. Plus occasional updates on Dezeens services and breaking news. I was always inspired by his warm style and the way he could balance designs that were equally understated and impactful. Christian Liaigre, Minimalist Interior Designer, Dies at 77 Known for his muscular and clean-lined furniture, Mr. Liaigre designed the influential Mercer hotel in SoHo, as well as the homes. Christian Liaigre has died, according to a statement posted online on September. Thank you, Christian." You will shortly receive a welcome email so please check your inbox. His sparse interiors and elegant if unadorned furniture exemplified 1990s minimalism. As a designer I have always been inspired by his work and loved incorporating his thoughtfully modern and timeless designs into many of the residential spaces I have designed. His influence from the equestrian world could identify a few of the first creations that Liaigre made. Schrager continued. He was such a visionary. A triplex in Manhattans SoHo neighborhood designed by Christian Liaigre for Wendi and Rupert Murdoch, Oct. 6, 2005. It was a complete aesthetic, and I dont think anyone did it better, Mr. Klein said in a phone interview. Christian Liaigre (10 August 1943 2 September 2020) was a French interior designer and architect. Sold . Liaigre added to this picture sober furniture and finishes in natural colors and materials, neutral plasters, and woods of different colors depending on the space. Thank you, Christian. Said Wendi Murdoch. We had a nice chat over a very minimal white egg, tea and toast.. After designing a collection of cabinets in 1981, he established his studio in 1985 and opened up his first store on Rue de Varenne in Paris. Employing clean lines and natural materials throughout each of his projects, Liaigre's style was seen as particularly unusual when he emerged in the 1980s. Plus occasional updates. His daughter, Virginie, died last year. He died on Wednesday 2 September and Liaigres studio took to Instagram to announce the passing. I always thought of him as our generations Jean-Michel Frank and I have no doubt his legacy will live on for generations to come. Brad Ford, interior designer, Theres a stillness to his aesthetic thats welcoming and warm and his le de R residence captivates me most. The French creative and founder of design studio Liaigre died on .. View article. We know your time is valuable. Great attention to details was placed in all of his designs. Juan Montoya, interior designer, I will never forget, in the early 90s, going into Christian Liagres shop in Paris and visiting the Hotel Montalembert. Asked what she is most looking forward to in 2018, Meyer replies: "For me, it is the Liaigre flagship store. Designer Ronan Bouroullec commented, He was so gentle, so simple and nice with me. Her interiors reflect both a rigorous design and special consideration for functions. From the creation of his first furniture pieces, he quickly moved onto interior design, reconnecting with the French . Exciting times, indeed. I took the first check I received from my first design job and bought a tiny bronze Liaigre drinks table. We will miss him and his genius but his work will endure far beyond his lifetime. His public projects such as the 1990 overhaul of Paris Hotel Montalembert, and 1997 revamp of New Yorks Mercer Hotel substantiate that they knew him on both sides of the Atlantic. With 28 showrooms in the world today and a wealth of projectsfrom luxury homes and yacht design to exciting new hotel and restaurant openingsunder the 35-year Liaigre belt, there was no shortage of pressure for the label to continue its legacy following the departure of its visionary founder in 2017. The functionality and simplicity are enhanced by the cabinetmaker and saddler using his traditional knowledge, reflecting the comfort and subtle elegance of a masculine world. Tim Veresnovsky, interior designer, He came into my life after seeing his work in the pages of Elle Decor in the late 90s. Christian Liaigre, Minimalist Interior Designer, Dies at 77 He is a master in creating elegance and comfort with impeccable style. It was an art of living imbued with the heritage of the French decorative arts masters, including Jean Royre and Jean-Michel Frank. We asked design-world luminaries to share their thoughts of Liaigre and the legacy he left behind. Thats why his interiors are always different, depending on the clients personality and the location. "Luxury, as we would define it at Liaigre, is about concentrating on the essence of creation: rigor of the drawing, function, reflection on proportions, quality of the materials and finishes," Meyer explains. Our most popular newsletter, formerly known as Dezeen Weekly. A new book from Rizzoli offers a deep dive into five recent Liaigre projects, all of which were started by the founder but completed by creative director . 2022 Rethinking The Future All registered. Christian Liaigre Benches - 3 For Sale at 1stDibs My family is fortunate to live in a home he designed every day. Liaigre, a French interior and furniture designer whose muscular and elegant objects in wood, bronze and leather were emblematic of 1990s minimalism, and whose influential clients included Karl Lagerfeld, Calvin Klein, Rupert Murdoch, Larry Gagosian and the Mercer hotel in SoHo, died on Sept. 2, 2020, in Paris. Mr. Liaigre (pronounced lee-AY-gruh) had been an art student and a drawing teacher and had worked with show horses before he began making furniture in the early 1980s. Sent every Tuesday and containing a selection of the most important news highlights. What was so special about the interiors of Hotel Montalembert, then? They were extremely sexy, but they were not an intimate, personal style, David Netto, an American designer, said in a phone interview. A must-visit in Paris, the new showroom opens in fall 2018 and will showcase the brand's newfound eclecticism. Born into a family from Vende, Liaigre entered the cole nationale suprieure des Beaux-Arts and the cole nationale suprieure des arts dcoratifs before meeting Alberto Giacometti. Christian Liaigre - Designer Biography and Price History on 1stDibs He kind of invented the boutique hotelright after its actual inventionor at least took it from something rock n roll into territory that was more romantic and intimate. His luxurious, stark designs attracted a large international audience and were seen for their originality when he came up in the 1980s. When he retired in 2016, he handed the reins over to long-term . [4][5][6], Liaigre was married to Deborah Comte,[7][8] with whom he had a son. Tim Veresnovsky, interior designer, He came into my life after seeing his work in the pages of Elle Decor in the late 90s. ! From that moment forward I kept an eye on Christian Liaigre who became a seismic influence in the world of interior design. In 1997, he designed The Mercer Hotel in New York City. After designing a collection of cabinets in 1981, he established his studio in 1985 and opened up his first store on Rue de Varenne in Paris. We will never give your details to anyone else without your consent. The dining room at Christian Liaigres home on St. Barts. He was a true original and a star. Joy Moyler, interior designer, Its the end of an era. And the hotel that, also thanks to Christian Liaigres design, became an international icon. Ernest de la Torre, interior designer, Just like when you see a Rolls Royce drive down the street, you could look at his work and immediately identify it as Liaigre. Did he ever misstep aesthetically? Mitch Owens on Instagram: "News of the death of French interior He is a master in creating elegance and comfort with impeccable style. More Buying Choices. His work resonated with craftsmen and architects, too, because the joinery was often the ornament. His keen sense of light and its influence on space, inspiration from local cultures and traditions, his meticulous research of the perfect materials for his furniture, coupled with his affinity towards artisanal work, Liaigre combined the art of subtle expression with great elegance. Along with the austere architecture of John Pawson and the unadorned clothing of Mr. Klein and Helmut Lang, Mr. Liaigres works sculptural tables, seats and lamps constructed of bronze, stone and ebonized woods were touchstones for a generation that expressed its wealth in earth tones and a monkish lack of ornament. Christian Liaigre Death | - The Arts of Entertainment | Facebook I will be forever inspired by his visionary aesthetic. Shawn Henderson, interior designer, He was one of my earliest inspirations of my career and he will be sorely missed. Christian Liaigre Dark Brown Christian Liaigre Pirogue Bench for Holly Hunt, Pair Available H 14 in W 70 in D 14 in $ 8,908 Access Trade Price. Our website, archdigest.com, offers constant original coverage of the interior design and architecture worlds, new shops and products, travel destinations, art and cultural events, celebrity style, and high-end real estate as well as access to print features and images from the AD archives. The Liaigre showrooms which showcase the brand are located in the United States, Europe and Asia. How to pronounce christian liaigre | HowToPronounce.com It is not easy to explain why his projects were so special, especially when seen from 2020. Someone formidable," Bouroullec wrote in a comment. Over the last thirty years Christian Liaigre has made himself known by his refined, high quality work. His influence from Giacomettis bronze and plasters, Brancusis endless column, the minimal American art, the radicalism of primitive African and Oceanic arts naturally made him the preferred choice for an interior designer amongst many art collectors, designing interiors and furniture that blended and complemented their key collections. This was also the case for The Mercer Hotel in New York, the hotel that made Andr Balazs famous (who relaunched the Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles and launched The Standard Hotel in several cities) and was a turning point for the hospitality sector worldwide. Giacometti led him to the workshop of Constantin Brncui, but Liaigre left to help his grandfather breed racehorses. Initially, the late designer only made furnishings but soon went on to develop entire interiors for residences, holiday homes, offices, as well as the cabins of jets and yachts. Christian Liaigre, who fashioned homes for the likes of Karl Lagerfeld and Calvin Klein, has passed away at the age of 77. Design icon Christian Liaigre dies aged 77 | SYT - SuperYacht Times A daily newsletter containing the latest stories from Dezeen. "We should hold the mirror to ourselves" say Turkish John Heah designs Clinique La Prairie resort for Amaala in Adjaye Associates unveils Abrahamic Family House interfaith Heatherwick Studio designs Tokyo school with "playgrounds Smith Mordak named CEO of UK Green Building Council at Michael Gove places Populous' spherical music venue on hold, Visit our comments page | Read our 2023 Cond Nast. Liaigre continued to design luxury homes in countries around the world after its founder retired in 2016. Christian Liaigre, minimalist interior designer, dies at 77 - Artdaily He understood the dignity of the design process and the responsibility of designers, architects, and craftspeople to keep evolving. Jeffrey Bilhuber, interior designer, "Christian was a dear friend and a lovely soul with incredible taste. For the superyacht industry, Liaigre was behind the designs for yachts such as the 33-metre La Fenice in 1962, the Perini Navi sailing yacht Roseheartyand the award-winning 67.2-metreVertigo.The French design studio is keeping the consistently bespoke Liaigre style alive, as seen onboard more recent yachts such as the 58-metre Feadship yacht Najiba and the in-build Royal Huisman project 404. Set up as a Parisian home with an exhibition space at the top, it breaks away from the belief that Liaigre is without dare or risk. Liaigre established his eponymous studio in 1985 and opened the doors to his first showroom on Rue de Varenne in Paris' seventh arrondissement. His work has always been an inspiration to me. Discrete, Christian Liaigre preferred let his designs speak for themselves: he created furniture and objects that reflected his dedication to beauty, a search for balance, an accuracy for proportions and perfection in the detail. He was 77. 28 Christian Liaigre Premium High Res Photos - Getty Images Architectural Digest may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. "Christian Liaigre preferred to let his designs speak for themselves," said Liaigre's studio in a statement. The lobby of the Mercer in SoHo, which introduced Mr. Liaigre to the United States when it opened in 1997. introduced Mr. Liaigre to the United States. Give us a few seconds and try loading this page again. The Hotel Montalembert was like a revelation. For more details, please see our privacy notice. I was always inspired by his warm style and the way he could balance designs that were equally understated and impactful. Ian Schrager, the hotelier and developer, hired both Mr. Pawson and Mr. Liaigre to design his penthouse at 40 Bond Street in the NoHo section of Manhattan, a Herzog & de Meuron showplace, as well as his house in Southampton, N.Y. Mr. Schrager recalled that the contractors kept turning over Mr. Liaigres furniture to see how the pieces were put together.