Walk up past the church and then turn left. Our first task was to find a cafe, and I set off for home about an hour later. The Monday trail was a bit boring and very busy in places but once off there it was lovely walking through fields. ALLTRAILS and the AllTrails Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions. Continue to follow the path with a wall close on the right. Plenty of parking along the side of the road just after the start of the trail. The railways' loss is undoubtedly the walkers' and cyclists' gain. This lovely circular walk takes you along the banks of the River Wye from the ancient market town of Bakewell into the picture-perfect village of Ashford-in-the-Water . The area around Wormhill Springs was a gloomy, muddy morass that lacked the sparkling magic of my memories. Bakewell has one of the oldest markets in the area, dating from at least 1300 and markets are still held here every Monday. We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. This took me down past the massive mill buildings at Litton, now converted into very tidy flats, and through a curving valley with the strange name of Water-cum-Jolly Dale. This email address is protected by JavaScript. Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Statement, A - Z Bear right to walk down Coombs Road for 300 metres. Cross the bridges over the River Wye up to the Agricultural Centre. More information about our Privacy Policy. Lots of lovely picnic spots early on the trail with a lovely cafe and bike hire at and old train station :). Ruskin's ire could be understood at the time, but 150 years later the viaduct and embankment have become a much-loved sight. Part 1 ignition system circuit diagram 1994 1995 ford f150 f250 f350. This was still churning around in my mind as I passed Hassop station - the cafe that had been firmly shut earlier was now bustling and I kept a sharp eye out for my parents - my mum is rather partial to cafes. Hotel in Bakewell. ALLTRAILS and the AllTrails Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions. Product Reviews/Gear Tests Exit the meadow via a metal gate (taking care as this leads to a narrow path beside the very busy road). Around 500m after this cafe keep your eye open for a left turn. The Midland Railway originally had such low platforms, but over time they were rebuilt at a high level. The station car park was 4 for 4 hours and was cash only. Competitions Leave the car park and cross Coombs Road to reach Station Road. Editors' Code of Practice. This is a delightful walk along the River Wye as it turns and loops back on itself, creating oxbow lakes in places. Today I carried my 30-litre Karrimor rucksack, filled with water, my waterproofs, a book and other odds and ends. Passing the Monsal Trail and Hassop there's some flat ground and even a cafe to stop and have an ice cream and buy a book or map. Experience the scenic limestone valleys of the White Peak as your stroll along the many trails and footpaths that explore the tranquil banks of the Wye and Derwent rivers. 8. Turn left along this and follow it as it curves to the right to join the B6048 road and heads downhill; there are pavements on both side of the road. One of the few remaining station buildings is now a visitor's centre, next to which is a large car park. The latter of these was of particular interest as you can walk around the side to see the massive brick abutments that hold the tunnel up. Good views. passing to the north of Bakewell and the sites of the old Bakewell, Hassop and finally Great Longstone . Looking for somewhere to stay in Bakewell? Some sections of the bridle way and riverside paths could be muddy after wet weather. Bakewell is not far from Chatsworth an amazing stately home with stunning gardens, a farm and epic childrens playground. Follow the path diagonally across the meadow heading towards the river. Follow agricultural way. The best times to visit this trail are March through September. Climb some steps just before the viaduct to reach the old trackbed at the eastern end of the viaduct. Walk d278 The River Wye and Haddon Park from Bakewell A pleasant riverside walk Vital Statistics: Route Summary: Dogs are welcome, but must be on a lead. Bakewell hassop and the river wye walk Find out here intermatic r8806p101c wiring. He was the son of Richard Arkwright who had a thriving cotton mill in the area. As the road bends around to the right and at the end of a row of houses, cross the road to go through a metal gate on the left (a sign "The Outrake" is on the gate). 12. There is a plaque on the wall of the cottage on the right which informs you that Richard Arkwright junior lived here in 1778 until 1792. Proceed downstream with the river on your left and cross a modern metal footbridge which has recently become decorated with padlocks a new and romantic custom that has spread from Paris for lovers wanting to lock tight their love for one another. Trail directions. It can be very slippy underfoot. Bear right to walk down Coombs Road for 300 metres. Cross this and turn right across a tumbledown stone wall, still following the river on the right. Only a small hill, a lot of pathways, some off road but still walkable. This walk is a relaxed stroll along the river Wye and through Bakewell Park and Recreation Grounds. Some on a quite busy footpath and some more rural off-road track. Very pleasant walk with good views, a lovely Tea Room in Ashford (Aisseford Tea Room) makes a perfect place for a short stop, Peak District National Park has 45 car parks, 18 of which have a Pay & Display system. Bakewell is sat on the River Wye, there is no better place to sit and watch the world go by. Peak District National Park has 45 car parks, 18 of which have a Pay & Display system. The village offers stone cottages, two pubs, a restaurant and a shop. From the centre of Bakewell cross the river over the medieval bridge and turn along Combs Lane. Took my 2 year and a push chair , we loved it Again it was a rural station given undeserved prominence by the squirearchy. Lovely countryside. Easy to follow and easy walking most of the way. Photo Gallery You need to have Javascript enabled in order to view the maps. Immediately afterwards there were three tunnels - Chee Tor, Chee Tor No. Read More Travel, The Peak District, UK The trail runs along the former Midland Railway line for 8.5 miles between Blackwell Mill, in Chee Dale and Coombs Road, at Bakewell. Instead I headed through the tunnel, enjoying the experience of being within its dark, cool confines. Took my 2 year and a push chair , we loved it Walk along here until you reach a footpath sign by a gate on the left. To contribute to go4awalk.com or to contact us about anything at all - see Talk To Us. Follow the track uphill and, as the track splits, turn right through a small wooden gate. After the station building turn right across the far edge of a public car park and pass the gable end of the building to reach the Monsal Trail at SK222691. 6. Sadly this was not as spectacular as I had hoped, although it was impossible not to be impressed with the engineering. End it with a wander around the shops and a sample of Bakewell Pudding for sheer perfection! FIND YOUR WAY OUTSIDE is a trademark of AllTrails, LLC. It mirrors a. Nice route on the south west side, but very muddy in late December in that same section. Experience this 5.2-mile loop trail near Bakewell, Derbyshire. Partly this is because it is not easy to reach, with the path sometimes being impassable due to flooding, and partly because the path through it is rugged. Very good once you get off the monsal trail loads to see. Cross the farm track and continue on across meadows, keeping left until you reach Agricultural Way in Bakewell. It starts at the Topley Pike junction in Wye Dale, 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Buxton, and runs to Coombs Viaduct, 1 mile (1.6 km) south-east of Bakewell. customer service. Rafters at Riverside House Hotel. Nice trail once you get off the monsal trail. For specific fees and more information about car parks and parking permits, please visit, Ashford, Monsal Dale and Shacklow Wood Circular, Bakewell, Hassop, and the River Wye Circular, Bakewell, Edensor, and Chatsworth Circular, Monsal Head, Monsal Dale and Ashford-in-the-Water Circular, Monsal Trail, Ashford in the Water and Bakewell Circular, Ashford-in-the-Water and Monsal Head Circular, Bakewell, Monyash, and Little Longstone Circuit, Bakewell and Ashford in the Water Circular, Ashford-in-the-Water - Magpie Mine Circular, Ashford, Monsal and Headstone Tunnel Circular, Bakewell, Ashford-in-the-Water and Little Longstone Circular, Bakewell, Over Haddon and Lathkill Dale Circular, Bakewell, Youlgreave, Darley Bridge and Fdensor Circular. Although this site includes links providing convenient direct access to other Internet sites, I do not endorse, approve, certify or make warranties or representations as to the accuracy of the information on these sites. It is located on the River Wye, about thirteen miles (21 km) southwest of Sheffield. Bakewell pudding was invented by accident. This meant that it was quite hard on my feet, especially as I was wearing my new boots. 11. Some nice views of surrounding countryside. We would love to see your walk photographs and pictures walk d278 The River Wye and Haddon Park from Bakewell. Start by walking across the fields by the river Wye towards Bakewell town. See All Marriage & Divorce Records for Bakewell Bakewell Death & Burial Records England & Wales Death Index (1837-2006) An index to deaths registered throughout England & Wales. It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times. Steady walk. Copyright 2000-2023 TMDH Limited. As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles. The old station buildings now contain a book shop, gift shop and a cafe and toilets are also available here. This scenic 2km walk includes all of the main sights of Bakewell town itself. On reaching the sixth large wooden gate, go through passing to the left of a small pond. Start your walk at Bakewells five-arched bridge that has spanned the River Wye for 700 years. This selection of walks take in a section of the river along the way. a relatively easy trail, did miss the left turning off the monsail trail though and had to turn around to find it. (Guide Resolution = 300dpi. Nice walk. Walk along the street past the Old Original Bakewell Pudding shop (you may want to stop here for a Bakewell pudding and a well earned coffee). Bakewell is also relatively close to Ashford in the Water a serene country village and Monsal Dale, a panoramic valley with a viaduct running across it. As the path veers left you will pass some old industrial buildings on the left. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to From the car park, walk to the left of the railway buildings and turn left onto the Monsal Trail. so there was a fairly steep bit of up at one point. Within a minute's walk of the main shops, pubs, cafes, the River Wye and the large park in Bakewell Breakfast included for every day of your stay at The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop Welcome basket on arrival: loaf of Bakewell Bakery bread, pint of milk, bottle of wine, bottle of Bakewell Best Bitter and an award-winning . Bakewell, Hassop, and the River Wye Circular Easy 4.5 (480) Peak District National Park Photos (390) Directions Print/PDF map Length 3.6 miElevation gain 633 ftRoute type Loop Get to know this 3.6-mile loop trail near Bakewell, Derbyshire. Some on a quite busy footpath and some more rural off-road track. 10. Turn right to follow the road eastwards, passing through a gateway and between the mill buildings, which have now been converted into houses. It is a charming and picturesque town, which attracts visitors from all over the world. reservation online. Turn right and follow the trail for a short distance then turn left to reach the car park and the end of the walk. Wye Cottage, a romantic hideaway for 2, has a large beamed bedroom, sitting room, fitted kitchen and a newly renovated bathroom with large walk-in shower and bath. The trail here runs along the southern side of a triangular railway junction, with the western curve still in use for the freight trains that carry trains filled wtih limestone. ALLTRAILS and the AllTrails Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions. A dog chased a red ball towards me and I kicked it back towards the dog's owners, only for a cyclists coming hard from behind to brake suddenly and fall off. go4mailvariable=('walk_pics' + '@' + go4mailvariable) My parents phoned and told me that they were on their way to Bakewell; I therefore decided not to nip down to visit the cottages and instead headed back eastwards across the viaducts and through the tunnels. Generally considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 2 h 45 min to complete. News If you wish to visit the town, turn right over the bridge, otherwise, to continue, cross the road and turn left walking past car parks on the right. Plenty to see. Not strenuous. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to Walk shoes needed as some are muddy! This is the longest of the Bakewell walks that we recommend. I had seen this from below many times and was looking forward to seeing the view from it.