This Auction is for an Authentic Western Boulder U.S.A W49 "M" Bowie Knife w/Wooden Plaque - Circa 1840.1977 was the first year that Western knives started using the alphabet, starting with the letter "A", to date code their knives. From handmade pieces to vintage treasures ready to be loved again, Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. The facts are that the last two years of the war The U.S. was not sending in much of anything into the country as far as manpower and equipment. Shipping policies vary, but many of our sellers offer free shipping when you purchase from them. bowie vintage knife: Search Result | eBay Create an Account Stay up to date withYour Favorite Knife Makers. Jim Bowie, in his brief lifetime, was as famous as any American then drawing breath. You could buy it for its charming looks alone, but it performs nearly as well. I didn't really like it so I gave it to my brother. Timber Rattler Western Outlaw Bowie Knife $29.99 Gil Hibben Assault Tactical Knife With Sheath $77.99 Gil Hibben Highlander Bowie Damascus with Sheath $169.99 $116.98! FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $99* & 60-DAY RETURNS. (20% off), Sale Price $36.50 Report an Issue | As you can see it also has the small pins in the handle. The next 3 versions of the Western Bowie are identical in material and construction. It was also the last year that Western manufactured their knives in Boulder, Colorado. but it has never failed me. (70% off), Sale Price $135.00 Early productions blades were made of carbon steel, later productions are constructed of a high polished stainless. Value for money . Original Price 2,758,374 The W49 is the most common found today. Original Price 4,962,808 JavaScript is disabled. c.1977 Western Bowie W49 - iKnife Collector I have two other knives my cousin gave me in 1969 when he returned from Vietnam. US MILITARIA FORUM - COLLECTORS PRESERVING HISTORY Sellers looking to grow their business and reach more interested buyers can use Etsys advertising platform to promote their items. Sale Price $120.00 2,603,550, 4,733,728 Check out our awesome collection now. Welcome and have a great stay lots to see and read around here. Because of our large inventory (over 10,000 knives in stock), your order will ship quickly - often the same day. The ones marked W49 with large handle bolts are questionable to me. The straight-edge knife is fitted with a 7-inch blade and. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. The cv recon/tm seem about twice as thick. Bowie Knives - Knife Depot Looking for a real knife? I've got several W49 bowies, the oldest dating to around the mid 60s. Thanks for all the information! I have been trying for some time to compile dating info and as you probably know there are some gray areas. Obviously, 1977 on is easy. Original Price $185.00 The marking are very important. 3,263,547, 4,662,315 These two variations appear during the time period of 1964 to at least 1967. 2,068,966, 6,896,552 Thanks GIRLYmann! 1 In Stock $34.97 More Info For Sale By: GSPTOPDOG Coleman Western 954 Double Lock with box and pouch (1989) 1 In Stock $70.00 More Info For Sale By: LDF Knives Western USA S-532 "A" Wood Westlock Lockback 1977 1 In Stock $95.00 More Info For Sale By: Knives Templar I had put together this table that I'm going to post but not sure how it'll show up. 2,093,350, 4,186,946 Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007. Turning off personalized advertising opts you out of these sales. Learn more in our Privacy Policy., Help Center, and Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy. In his books, Cole called them the V44 Types 1,2,3,4 (Collins, CaseXX, Western, Kinfolks) and the type 5, the CaseXX Fixed blade V44. $110. 3.2 3.2 . They are the older high carbon blades. Original leather sheath. by zzyzzogeton Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 am, Post 1 month ago on ebay.com. Fill out the requested information. (10% off), Sale Price 4,617,980 Sellers looking to grow their business and reach more interested buyers can use Etsys advertising platform to promote their items. Absolutely! 2,955,665, 9,852,217 My grandfather carried this one for 50 years: You must log in or register to reply here. The only sure way to get one that was in Vietnam is from a vet that can document the knife. Average depth of cut with the same swing was almost a half inch. Sign up for a new account in our community. All photos were 10 chops. Turning off the personalized advertising setting wont stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive. $89.17, $297.22 Consistently earned 5-star reviews, shipped orders on time, and replied quickly to messages, Looks like you already have an account! The one that I have with a couple of bends in the blade came from me chopping a couple branches off from a dead piece of tree many years ago. Just when you think you have them figured out one turns up that does not fit the mold. hardwood handles,leather sheath. by zzyzzogeton Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 am, Post Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the site work correctly for browsing and transactions. Western Bowie Knife - Etsy Original Price 2,339,655 Original Price 6,896,552 We also created 2.6 million jobs in the U.S.enough to employ the entire city of Houston, TX! Although it was mainly used and marketed as a hunting knife, its origins were that of a weapon. Who has the knowledge for this situation? Collectible Knives - Vintage and Rare Knives | Blade HQ No chips or cracks in handles. Original Price 3,367,876 Search 284 Tramonti di Sopra local furniture stores to find the best furniture and accessory company for your project. Many of the examples of Vietnam War vintage Bowies do not appear to have traveled any further west than the California shoreline . Original Price $400.00 Western didn't seem to keep real accurate records. 2,422,280, 4,844,560 The letters used start with "A" for 1977 and go on to "0" for 1991 when Camillus bought the rights to Western at auction. Stuart Bowie Knife $99.95 Details Robert E. Lee Prestige Edition Bowie Knife $99.95 Details Battle of Gettysburg Bowie Knife $99.95 Details Stonewall Jackson Bowie Knife $99.95 Details P.G.T. Made in the USA!!! Comes with the original sheath, has two notches cutout at top, not sure why, but been there a while. The stamping is only on the Brass guard and there are no letters denoting age. i have one i bought late 80's i think 60 bucks otd, got it cuase a buddy had one and he loved it. It has alot of documentation and looks good. It didn't have much heft. I'm confused. Handle has the brass pins and rosewood handle. here's a pic of the western along side an old trailmaster and recon. Weight for the weight weirdos is 1 lb 4 ounces knife only. http://img443.No_outside_hosting.us/i/cbf7pjgcwkkgrhqyoknmez4.jpg/. Heres my question. Tep. The jets rip has an easily broken cat guard and a very thick grind not and efficient chopper . This type of data sharing may be considered a sale of information under California privacy laws. 2,135,468, 7,118,227 Yes! Check out the weather around the world with our featured, global weather cams IMHO many more variations on these knives also fall into the proper Vietnam time period. It can also be identified by the smaller pins in the handle. Tweet Charlie, how to identify a Vietnam Western Bowie Fighting Knife, US MILITARIA FORUM - COLLECTORS PRESERVING HISTORY, http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopiid/872513/tp/1/. Original Price 4,733,728 In 2020 alone, purchases on Etsy generated nearly $4 billion in income for small businesses. You must log in or register to reply here. 32.9 un fullered blade has a simple IXL stamp to ricasso and 'CP' mark to surface. Original Price 2,216,502 Your knife was made in 1986. There were variations of this pattern that were incorporated into air crew survival kits. by kootenay joe Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:49 pm, Post Probably one of the most memorable movie quotes of all time came about when Crocodile Dundee scoffed at a mugger's switchblade saying, "That's not a knife." Check out completed auctions on the 'Bay for an idea of value. Original Price 4,289,941 by zzyzzogeton Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:46 am, Post c.1977 Western Bowie W49 | Bowie, Bowie knife, Knives and swords Antique Bowie Knife Page 1 | S&H Civil War Antiques Even though we were young and we knew every thing. Copyright 2004-2023 allaboutpocketknives.com. Original Price 2,958,284 Of the five two were chrome plated and three were not. Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the site work correctly for browsing and transactions. I was looking at my W49 last night and there is not a tang stamp. Amazon.com : SHINY CRAFTS | Large Bowie Knife With Sheath 18 Inch (70% off), Sale Price 2,500,000 I'd sure like to find one and would pay good money to acquire it. But I believe I can give you some good advice. 1,025,862, 1,206,897 Vintage Western folding pocket knife. $22.40, $28.00 They all have heavy use and both have the sheaths replaced after they rotted away. Heres mine with box and paper works as well as the original sales receipt from December of 68. While many of the items on Etsy are handmade, youll also find craft supplies, digital items, and more. I'm curious to know what year Western first manufactured the W49? This would provide the best provenance to establishing the exact time periods for these variations on the Western W49 and 649 knifes. 3,386,453, 6,157,389 Create an account or login in order to post a comment. I hope it helps? The way you set up your knife photos is inspiring. Rare vintage knives - Old Pocket Knives The W47 measures 12" from tip to hilt, W45 measures 9" and the 43 or mini measures 6 1/2". Very few guys that I can recall actually had theirs. thank joe, Here's a thread on another forum that may help you: http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopiid/872513/tp/1/. I've mentioned my love for my old w49 several times here. The sheath for this knife is also unique in my opinion. 3.3 3.3 . I bought one at a Sheriff's auction about 20 years ago. Best Western Bowie Inn & Suites, Park's Inn, and Americas Best Value Inn Bowie are some of the most popular hotels for travelers looking to stay near Worlds Largest Bowie Knife. 1978 was "B" and so on. (70% off), Sale Price 2,684,911 See the top reviewed local furniture stores and showrooms in Tramonti di Sopra, Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy on Houzz. Western USA W49 Wood Bowie Fixed Blade Knife & Sheath c.1984 Charlie. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. (15% off), Sale Price 1,812,130 . That makes it a pretty serious chopper in my book. Jim Bowie: The Man, the Myth, and the Knife | Field & Stream Wild West Bowie Knives - Old Western Knives | American Mint Coleman Western 954 Double Lock with box and pouch (1989), Western USA S-532 "A" Wood Westlock Lockback 1977, Vintage Western Boulder Colo. USA Fishing Knife 751 Stainless 2 Blades, Folding Pocket knife, Western States, Boulder Colorado 2 blade pocket knife / Advertising pocket knife, Western USA Stainless Delrin W338 Large Stockman Knife, Western USA Stainless Delrin S-742 Large Stockman Knife, Westmark USA 703 Shaw Leibowitz Gold Etch Patrick Henry Fixed Blade Sheath Knife in Box, SCHRADE 498 49'ER "BENCH MADE COLLECTION" GOLD RUSH CARBON STEEL FIXED BLADE HUNTING KNIFE & SHEATH, Schrade Scrimshaw Sharpe Finger Model 152 SC, Smith & Wesson 1974 Design by Blackie Collins Survival Bowie Model # 6030, JIM LAYTON MAKER PORTSMOUTH OHIO FISHING HUNTING SKINNING SURVIVAL KNIFE KNIVES CLIP SHEATH, ANTIQUE VINTAGE HILL & SON 4 HAYMARKET LONDON SMALL FIXED BLADE POCKET PATCH KNIFE KNIVES SHEATH OLD, Vintage Japan G96 950 skinner knife and sheath VGUC, Vintage Schrade Uncle Henry 144-UH MINT aftermarket sheath. C $128.75. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. In 1978 the company moved to Longmont, CO. The one in the picture with the chrome plated blade came from a vet and I have the documentation and a photo of him wearing the knife in Vietnam. It holds a razor sharp edge and for a knife with a 9 inch blade does a wonderful job. (45% off), Sale Price $21.96 2,438,424, 4,876,847 AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods, Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days, Canal Street Cutlery Collector's Forum, Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum, Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum, Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum, Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum, Knife Related Creation, Modification, And Restoration Forums. (50% off), $400.00 Large Bowies features excellent stag horn grip with brass pommel and English style brass cross guard. don't carry it much, but wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a new truck. Original Price 9,359,606 1964 to late 1965/early 1966. zzyzzogeton, thanks so much for your reply. (50% off), Sale Price 1,097,291 Wow Colonel, that is very special. That is really the one question I have about the knife. Original Price 2,997,044 by kootenay joe Wed May 02, 2018 4:05 pm, Return to Western Cutlery Collector's Forum, Powered by phpBB Forum Software phpBB Limited. Skinning/Hunting/Camping knife, Western States, Boulder Colorado 2 blade pocket knife / Advertising pocket knife c.1911-1950. Western made at least two different stock numbered bowies during the Vietnam time period. 1,775,148, 4,437,574 (See picture) Without taking the grips off there is no way to tell if it was a factory job or post purchase. razor sharp and good in the hand. The W49 is the 9 1/2" "V44" type with the immense S-curve guard and laminated rosewood slab handles. The ones brought home were kept, or given to some relative. Tramonti di Sopra, Friuli Venezia Giulia, IT | Live Local and Global Check out the latest price. Learn more. If you come across a chrome plated Western Bowie it was probably plated for jungle use. Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: Detailed information can be found in Etsys Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy and our Privacy Policy. Choose the options youd like for the order. Handle variations are cocobolo, stag & bakelite. Anyone have experience with them? In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. I also believe that the guard marked "W49's" would have been made during the 1970's but prior to 1977 when the alphabetical date code started. (10% off), Sale Price $22.40 joe. Original Price $91.34 Consignment Program Packing Your Knives. Top Rated Seller. (15% off), Sale Price $84.99 The blade's spine is five . Original Price $164.99 I am trying to decide between the Western, Case, Ontario, or the new Remington. Late 1800s antique British US Western style Bowie knife marked IXL. It could have been a special order as there were Western Bowies ordered by 5th Special Forces with blade inscriptions. Stories of Cowboys and Indians and shoot-outs at the O.K. Measures 15 inches long. Designed by Jim Bowie and fabricated first by Jesse Clifft, the almost 10-inch-long blade had a flat spine and no guard between its blade and handle. 1,435,714, 2,610,345 Yes, that is one the first post-WW2 bowies made by Western. Original Price $289.00 $75.30, $188.24 With powerful tools and services, along with expert support and education, we help creative entrepreneurs start, manage, and scale their businesses. It may not display this or other websites correctly. I know a thin edge can chop without damage if used properly, but I cant guarantee I my form will always be perfect when using a "chopper". The "J" on you knife is a date code. (70% off), Sale Price 3,263,547 Items are guaranteed to be AS DESCRIBED - if there is any problem with your purchase, please contact me - I value your business and want you to be a satisfied customer! sogmanjoe, I'm curious on the W49/ or other western knife bowies as a woods knife. that was when i was riding with a club, i'm 6'2'' and 230 lbs (wish i still was ) and nobody messed with me, great trouble detorent lol. 3,047,783, 4,063,793 Western Bowie Collection | Collectors Weekly Buy now. (25% off), Sale Price 1,435,714 Original Price 8,347,245 Bowie Knife. See the full list: Hotels near Worlds Largest Bowie Knife. (39% off), Sale Price 3,722,167 (60% off), Sale Price 4,173,623 Timber Rattler Western Outlaw Bowie Knife 29.99 This Timber Rattler Outlaw bowie knife is one powerful full-tang beast that every manly man needs. Sold. SHINY CRAFTS | Large Bowie Knife With Sheath 18 Inch Mirror Polished D2 Stainless Steel Crocodile Dundee Knife - Razor Sharp Custom Bowie Knife For Men, Outdoor, Hunting Knife . I would stay away from those not marked "BOWIE" on the blade or cross guard. After pulling out his Bowie knife, Mick exclaimed, "THAT'S a knife!" Youll see ad results based on factors like relevancy, and the amount sellers pay per click. Those partners may have their own information theyve collected about you. Boker 1969 Z28-Damast Liner Lock Knife Blue Aluminum (3.15" Damascus) MSRP: $594.95 Our Price: $446.21 Preorder Down Payment: $5.00 Add to Cart Vargo Knives Sobata 398 Frame Lock Knife Titanium (3" Satin Sintered Ti) Our Price: $225.00 Add to Cart Jake Hoback Perseverance Fixed Blade Knife Black G-10 (6.1" Stonewash) Our Price: $365.00 Add to Cart Also has medal with his name and paper documents dated 69-70. hi sactroop the info you sent to me, is just what i was look for and the photos are a great help to me aswell.thanks for your help. Exterior: Minimal Wear. This practice was continued after Western was sold to the Coleman Co. in 1984 and goes on until 1991. Original Price 4,205,911 Originally designed by Col. James Bowie, a Bowie knife describes any large sheath knife. For International Buyers, Please Email before purchasing to determine the actuall shipping cost. How good is a Western Bowie? | Bushcraft USA Forums Not that I advocate getting a knife for the sole purpose of making it collect dust in plain view. But without more evidence to support them the above examples are my recommendation at this time. When Coleman bought Western in 1984, they continued the practice, up through M. When Camillus bought Western from Coleman in 1991, they dropped the practice.