Thomas Morstead's time with the Saints is over, but his impact on the At home with new dad: Saints punter Thomas Morstead "We met on a ski trip to Utah in 1998," Thomas Morstead said with a laugh. The Real Housewives of Atlanta The Bachelor Sister Wives 90 Day Fiance Wife Swap The Amazing Race Australia Married at First Sight The Real Housewives of Dallas My 600-lb Life Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. 3.15K. It's wrapped with wall-to-wall windows, and French doors lead to a mirror-image outdoor dining table, outdoor kitchen and lawn. [22] He was also named NFC Special Teams Player of the Month for September. Morstead is hoping that many people will get involved and help the foundation grow by leaps and bounds. That house, however, was missing the one item Lauren Morstead wanted more than any other: her own bathtub. By Madeleine Hudak @MaddyHudak_94 Mar 4, 2021, 2:28pm CST. Thomas Morstead has carved out special place in New Orleans' heart They crossed paths in college, began dating and continued seeing each other after he moved to New Orleans in 2009. Morstead: Underrated teammate? [2], Morstead enrolled at Southern Methodist in 2004, turning down scholarship offers from Texas Christian, Rice, Texas and Missouri, but spent the season as a redshirt. The All-Conference USA honorable mention averaged a career-low 41.78 yards on 59 punts, but only 19 were returned, as the Mustangs placed third in the league with a 37.22-yard net average. We have estimated "I was socially unconfident when I went into college," he said. On March 16, 2018, Morstead signed a five-year contract extension with the Saints. Im not going to look back on this week with any resentment or negativity. Morstead and his wife, Lauren, have four children. One good deed may lead to 10 good deeds, and all of a sudden, you have a tree of good deeds. Penalties; Morstead was famously beloved in New Orleans for his community involvement and charitable causes. "I was 12. "The person that you are at the end of college, not that my values or who I was changed, but how I presented myself and the confidence that I had, I was a totally different person in a very positive way.". Thomas Morstead is not one to be nostalgic. Thomas Morstead family, wife, children, parents, siblings - Ghanafuo.com Vikings? Recently, the foundation went public. And though he still intends to play next season, it will not be in New Orleans, and he has no idea where his temporary home may be. Thomas Morstead Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries He attended Southern Methodist University (SMU) during his college football career before being selected by the New Orleans Saints in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. A product of his era, Morstead grew up during America's soccer boom of the early-to-mid '90s. There is a tremendous need in Louisiana, and specifically in New Orleans, for CASA volunteers, for example because there are so many foster children that dont have somebody [who] cares about them. And with the GeauxGive card, people can sign up to see how far their acts of kindness have actually gone. To have that kind of support my whole life has been amazing, and I wouldnt be where Im at without their love and support. "I don't really remember him saying much to me as a kid (about competing in sports). "They let me be on the team and as the season went on, I kind of took over the starting spot. Lauren, his wife, and Morstead have four kids together. Thomas Morstead is on Twitter at thomasmorstead. He made 11 of 15 field goals, 29 of 30 extra points and amassed 62 points. Morstead and his family are building a new home in New Orleans a decision they made with the understanding that he may not finish his career in a Saints uniform. [Mentzel] told me that my freshman year," Morstead said. His height is 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) His weight is . "The simplest way to put that is I had the best year of my career the year that she went to New Orleans," Morstead said of the impact his wife has had on his career. (NFL). By being true to himself, Morstead grew from the high schooler kicking footballs on an empty practice field to one of the most accomplished punters in NFL history. Type above and press Enter to search. Get to know punter Thomas Morstead as he enters his 14th year in the NFL and discusses his last time playing at Hard Rock Stadium, why he chose the Dolphins, and more presented by AutoNation. The Vikings scored the winning touchdown in the closing seconds of the game, and both sides assumed that the contest was over with Saints players headed for the locker room, however Morstead was the first player to return to the field for the extra point attempt. I had a great upbringing and had everything in front of me, he says. Lauren is a rockstar. Morstead, who co-authored a children's book about his childhood, hopes that his story can serve as inspiration for anyone who is doubting themselves. 6-keys: media/spln/nfl/reg/free/stories, By pressing sign up, I confirm that I have read and agree to the. His high school coach, Tony Heath, also played a significant role in encouraging him to take his talents to the next level. The New Orleans Saints have released longtime punter Thomas Morstead ahead of free agency. If I'm you, I'm spending every bit of time developing yourself so that when it is your turn to have that opportunity to win the job, you're ready.' Fall, 2000: About 15 miles south of Houston, a young Thomas Morstead walked into Pearland High School as a 5'0", 90-pound freshman. New Orleans artist Aron Belkas painting 'Pointe Aux Chnes' hangs in the primary bedroom. "I remember our offense going through stints of time where it was like we couldn't be stopped," he said. This was the type of stuff hed been receiving lately from the people hes encountered over the course of his career. [14], Before the 2014 season, Morstead was selected as the Saints' special teams captain,[15] and he retained the title in 2015. She is a long-serving volunteer with Morsteads What You Give Will Grow foundation, and was a leader in the Team Comeback Kids initiative that raised more than $1 million to support children in need after floods devastated Baton Rouge in 2016. I know people have talked about Drew (Brees) before, but Drew, if its any sort of skill thing ping-pong, cornhole, baseball, righty or lefty, it doesn't matter, tennis hes a guy who is just sneaky, sneaky athletic.. She took his phone and posted to his social media channels urging people whom Morstead has personally impacted to reach out and let him know. His focus . He played a critical role in the Saints' victory over the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV. We are so grateful.". He frequently works with immunocompromised children, and he doesnt want to take the risks. [16], In the NFC Divisional matchup versus the Minnesota Vikings, Morstead tore cartilage in his rib cage after making a tackle in the first quarter but remained in the game. Saints fans are great, Morstead says. Im sure it will be 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity, so well probably need to cool off, he says. Morstead beat out Glenn Pakulak for the Saints punting job in 2009. People like going to hit golf balls on the driving range. Morstead is appreciative of the fact that he plays a significant role on a championship-contending team at this stage of his career. The foundation has mostly concentrated on cancer initiatives, and on youth and childrens initiatives all over New Orleans, because thats where people are molded into who they become, Morstead says. He has one brother, Patrick. "When I came out, I was as confident as you could be, and it didn't feel unwarranted," he said. I had some major development that needed to happen.". It is a really neat card, Morstead says. Each child's cubby has hooks, a shoe drawer below and a shelf above with an outlet and USB for charging devices. Morstead had the most accomplished steps as a punter in franchise history. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. The young couple started out in the Warehouse District, followed by a townhouse on St. Charles Avenue. By Bent Oct 8, 2021, 1:30pm EDT. Here are five things to know about the Dolphins' new punter. During that time, he developed into one of the NFL's best punters. . Thomas is an ideal celebrity influencer. He went on to have an outstanding season, leading the league (with a record-setting pace through 15 games) in net punting yardage, and was elected to the Pro Bowl. And it relaxed me. Morstead executed an onside kick during the second half kickoff. Even though I wasn't kicking it tremendously far.". At 36 years old, Thomas Morstead height Devastated, Morstead's mom recommended he give football a second chance. But what grabs the eye are the outsized gray Fett pendants and a custom plaster cooktop hood created by Schneider. Thomas and Lauren Morstead at home: comfortable elegance, kid-friendly Christian is Morstead. His wife, Lauren, and their four children were in the stands watching him take the field in a . To meet the demands of a large family, they started hunting for new digs but quickly realized they loved their current area and neighbors. WGNO Exclusive: Saints Punter Thomas Morstead's Emotional Surprise The Saints defeated the Indianapolis Colts to win the Super Bowl. Along with his wife Lauren, Thomas started the What You Give Will Grow foundation in 2012. He went on to have an outstanding season, leading the league (with a record-setting pace through 15 games) in net punting yardage, and was elected to the Pro Bowl. The outdoor dining space, with lamp by Bevelo. There was a problem saving your notification.