Rugged construction with through-hardened steel slide and one-piece, high-performance, glass . Funny you should mention the decline of single stacks, because I feel the same way. Some issues that are more commonly reported are usually not the guns fault, nor the manufacturer, and instead, often lie with the user. $14.94. The felt recoil was surprisingly manageable with this load, with a feel much more like the Ruger LC380 chambered in .380 ACP than the typical pocket 9 mm. The Ruger EC9s ships with one seven round magazine, an instruction manual, a cable lock, and a takedown tool. Some folks want a magazine disconnect and some don't, so the addition of a Pro covers both requests. This gun has good control. The Rugers trigger is quite nice. You cant blame them for that. Normally, I dont like manual safeties on carry guns. The newest 9mm factory loads that I fired in the EC9s are the Active Duty from Winchester and the CarryGun from Speer. Commentdocument.getElementById("comment").setAttribute("id","ae0b2658e236eb6060dfab2b7893ceac");document.getElementById("e907838953").setAttribute("id","comment"); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Optimized for compact and subcompact pistols, Speers Gold Dot CarryGun ammo features the recently developed Gold Dot G2 bullet. Anyway, thats something to consider. Outside the Waistband (OWB) Holsters. Check out the thumb safety. It is not bulky and does not have the best ergonomic feel. Introduced in 2014, it became Ruger's premier lightweight carry pistol. Custom Mossberg 500 at the Range and Live Turkey!. Get gun deals, hand's on reviews, educational content and updates on law changes, daily! I used Remington 110 grain target ammo. Im not a fan of safeties on striker-fired carry guns but thats just me., You will also notice that Ive put the Hogue HandALL grip over the original EC9s grip. Nickel-plated cases simplify chamber checks in reduced light, and they also feed and extract more reliably because nickel plating doesnt acquire the patina that can cause drag and failure to feed or extract reliably like traditional brass cases. Things got better for me with more practice time. Two are relatively new, and two are not so new, but they are worthy of notice. This is often referred to as limp wristing a pistol since the shooter is not exerting enough force on their wrists to keep the force of the shot in the slide. When it comes to concealed carry revolvers, almost nothing can beat the Ruger LCR. The follower is made from high impact strength injection molded polymer. In the compact daily carry 9mm pistol arena, few weapons have a solid mix of performance and reliability than the Ruger EC9s. Another 7-rounder sets you back $29.99 and a 9-rounder, $34.99.. caliber/gauge: 9mm. There are some circumstances where you may need to break your gun down and look at it under a hard light to determine the root cause, but this is rare. Whichever you choose, these pocket 9 mms are a lot of bang for the buck. DISTRIBUTOR: Davidsons Inc.; galleryofguns.com, HEIGHT: 4.9 in. Both my LC9s and EC9s have fired all kinds of ammo except steel cased without any problems. This gun (along with other Rugers) has such a part. I noticed that the firing pin would barely dent the primer on about 5 Federal out of a box of 50, and then 2-3 out of a box of 25 Hornady. model: ec9s Well, if we limit ourselves to single-stack 9mms: Kahr CM-9. The trigger pull is better and the overall feel of the gun seems more comfortable for a lightweight small . The EC9s is a compact pistol. That was not good, I admit, and I apologize. Check out my Taurus GX4 review to see what I mean. 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 6.5 PRC: Which is Better? Out of the EC9ss shorter 3.12-inch barrel, it averaged 1,163 fps for an energy of 345 ft-lbs. BONUS OFFER: Get your free shooting range targets to print at home! I also used my RCBS trigger pull scale jury-rigged to measure the pull weight required to rack the EC9ss slide. A World Record Attempt and everyone is out at the range shooting and practicing. They are a chance for something to go wrong in between the need to draw your gun and the need to press the trigger. Head to the range this week with American Rifleman staff as they discuss a trim little repeater from Savage Arms that comes chambered for the .22 WMR cartridge. Compared to that, this little pistol is a fresh breath of air and a much smaller pain in the waist. That little item is worth whatever Ruger is paying Hogue for it. Recommended. Velocities ranged from 827 fps to 1,163 fps, measured 12 feet from the guns muzzle. Hogue HandALL grip adapter (pre-installed on gun), Fake plastic magazine to help when field stripping the gun. I was keeping all of an on paper plates at 25 yards. I have a friend who carries an LC9S in the small of his back. That particular change to the pistol's manufacturing process would drop the price that much, making the new pistol one of the most competitively priced options in its class. The economy pistol is a touch heavier (by about 0.7 oz) and features wider spaces between . With an MSRP of just $299, the Ruger EC9s might be the best value out of all the guns weve tested. The LCP or LCP II doesnt have a so-called manual safety (although they couldnt resist for the .22 LR version). He is an active competitor in USPSA, IDPA and 3 Gun and is an NRA-licensed firearms instructor. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,600],'americangunfacts_com-box-4','ezslot_11',177,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-americangunfacts_com-box-4-0'); In some cases, there may be an easy fix, in other cases there may be a less-easy fix, and sometimes you may just have to find a reliable workaround for the problem. The gun has an overall length of 6 inches. sku: AA. The Ruger shot all 300 rounds in our test with no issues. As you can see from our photos, the model I reviewed has Muddy Girl camo finish on the polymer frame. Surprised quite a bit and made me a fan. (Ammo MUST be shipped to a FFL for CA, NY, MASS if it will be accepted, PLEASE VERIFY THEY WILL ACCEPT). Lighter and tougher and more precise than ever, it's the perfect back country hunting rifle. I put around 60 rounds through the gun and this thing jammed about 9 times. It utilizes a slender steel slide with rounded edges to avoid snagging on clothing. Login If the problem is with sluggish magazine movement or a generally slow release, it could be the magazine release spring isnt strong enough. Hes a very outdoorsy person, and he loves fishing, hunting, and skeet shooting. The little EC9s only weighs in at a mere 17.2 oz too. Place the takedown pin in its hole and press it all the way in that screwdriver might come handy again. The advantage of this design is that it allows you to carry your S&W Equalizer 9mm concealed . Fired a box of Federal Lawman 147 gr FMJ flat nosed, 2 boxes of PNC 124gr FMJ, and a box of Hornady 115gr XTP JHP shared pretty much equally between pistols, using both USA and Italian made magazines, with no perceived difference in either recoil or point of aim/impact with the differences in weights between loads fired. With products made in America, Ruger offers consumers almost 800 variations of more than 40 product lines, across both the Ruger and Marlin brands. Learn the difference between revolvers and semi-auto pistols and what makes them different. Im not thinking so much about the gun going off the striker block would prevent that. Get gun deals, hand's on reviews, educational content and updates on law changes daily! Choose Options . This would be the most cost-effective way to get the gun fixed, but with that in mind, it may not be the fastest way.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[120,600],'americangunfacts_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_0',186,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-americangunfacts_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[120,600],'americangunfacts_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_1',186,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-americangunfacts_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0_1');.large-mobile-banner-1-multi-186{border:none!important;display:block!important;float:none!important;line-height:0;margin-bottom:15px!important;margin-left:auto!important;margin-right:auto!important;margin-top:15px!important;max-width:100%!important;min-height:600px;padding:0;text-align:center!important}. Why I opted for the P365 without the safety. The hollowpoint bullet also features a driving band at the base and spiral cuts at the nose. Sturm, Ruger & Co. has been making firearms in the U.S. since 1949. The EC9s is a standard model with a magazine disconnect. This 6+1 9mm boasts an MSRP of $569 and is hardly an inch wide. Following the sale of Remington Outdoor Company's assets in September 2020, Vista Outdoor purchased Remington Ammunition. Second Media Corp., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Just keep trying what works and practice/practice/practice. Since the issues can be seen as serious reliability problems, though, and while they arent common they are incredibly important to fix. Subscriber Services. For practice now I mostly buy the Federal Champion 115 grain from Wally World. I do not have targets to show you they got wet when I left them out and it rained. Likes . The ONLY time I had a problem was when I went to a handload. At any rate, my shooting is not exactly stellar so my targets usually are not anything to write home about. Now $285.00, Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates, AmmoMan.com Ruger introduced the LC9 at 2011 SHOT Show in Vegas. Additionally, Critical Duty is powered by low-flash, clean-burning propellants that help preserve night vision in low-light firing. The Ruger 9mm proved reliable with all ammunition tested. Having gaps in the training or expertise of a shooter can have dramatic effects on the overall shot effectiveness, and can lead some shooters to think they either got a lemon or just a gun that is not for them. People new to shooting the Ruger EC9s often report the slide lock engaging when the magazine is not yet empty. Ruger has had its thumb firmly stuck in the pocket-9 pie since the beginning of the decade with the LC9. The only one close to the EC9s in price would be the new Taurus GX4. With weaker or even underpowered ammo, you are likely going to experience a higher rate of slide locks. You have to remember that it IS a 9mm and will not recoil like a 380. To carry the gun, any holster made for a single-stack 9mm should work, as will most pocket holsters. I borrowed Rugers company slogan for the EC9s for the headline of this report. NATURAL HANDGRIP PLACEMENT - Laser is rounded and blended to the frame to insure a smooth draw. Read today's "The Armed Citizen" entry for real stories of law-abiding citizens, past and present, who used their firearms to save lives. Like Rick and Ed said, my LCPs has handled everything. It is rigid enough to keep the gun upright in your pocket but not too stiff. That is some nasty rough stuff but it sure planted the gun in my hand when I shot it. More about that later. Other features of the EC9s include a 3.12-inch-long steel barrel, a manual thumb safety, a slide lock/release, and a magazine release button located 1911 style. *Due to changes in the law effective October 1, 2013 Ruger is not able to sell magazines to . Average Velocity: 905 fps, Average Group Size (All Ammo): 4.16 inches. The solution can vary depending on the faculties and equipment available to you. And, it can be a little tricky to find the right holster for this handgun. Advanced . Ruger knows how to make inexpensive, reliable guns, and the EC9s certainly fits that bill. They are the best things that have ever happened for 3 to 3.5 inch barrels in my opinion, Because I hand-load, I tried every possible combination of 9mm load in my Lyman handgun reloading manual. This causes the bullet to impact the high right side of the middle of the feed ramp, causing a rebound to the other side which then causes marring of the ramp. Your email address will not be published. Accurate out to 50 ft. (far out as I could shoot indoors), glass trigger and runs flawlessly. An inexpensive 7-round 9mm striker-fired pistol. The front sight is 0.160 inch tall and 0.133 inch thick. Buy RUGER EC9S 3283 9MM EC9S RUGER 3283 7 ROUND, 3.1" `EC9S: GunBroker is the largest seller of Semi Auto Pistols Pistols Guns & Firearms All: 973578693. Remove the pin and pull the slide off the front of the frame. Now if youre looking for a good ccw gun and youre on a a budget this is the way to go. When I pull the trigger on my ec9s I get a click some what dull or flat sound almost a thud but it does not fire. I fired more than 320 rounds, and there were no stoppages of any kind. Ruger EC9s background. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Ruger 90642 Magazine 9 mm 7 Round 2 pc Blued Steel for LC9, LC9s, EC9s at the best online prices at eBay! You should notice a dramatic improvement.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'americangunfacts_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_2',178,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-americangunfacts_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0'); The magazine release can sometimes become an issue, either getting stuck during activation or having additional friction or stickiness during release. barrel length: 3in. Hi! It functions well and people love it for that reason, but even with its reputation, some problems are commonly encountered by those new to the Ruger EC9s. action type: semi-auto. Here are some photos of the separated frame, slide, etc. But what about the newest big idea in pistol design? Kevin has been a gun writer since 2006, writing articles on the new reality of gun ownership in the U.S. for publications such as American Hunter, Shooting Illustrated, BearingArms.com, Beretta.com and also Downrange TV. As for accuracy, the EC9ss overall average was 3.39 inches for five-shot groups at 25 yards. A few years later, in 2014, Ruger rolled out the LC9s, updating the action on the LC9 from a hammer-fired gun to a striker-fired gun. I consider that to be better than acceptable, especially considering that the sight radius is a fairly short 4.5 inches. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! The EC9s does not have a rail, but that doesnt stop you from mounting a laser on it. The LC9s Pro model started shipping at the end of 2014. American Eagle 9mm 124gr. Hornady Critical Defense 115-Grain JHP: Group was higher but left and placed 5 shots in 3 inches at 15 yards. I know it comforts me when I have such armament on my person. Thank goodness for the HandALL without that, handling the EC9s is very iffy it shifts a lot under recoil. The 9mm is the preferred round of the two, although todays .380 ammo is no slouch. Whatever you do, do not just stick the gun in your pocket put it in a holster.. The current Ruger web site only shows a bunch of cosmetically different distributor specials for the LC9s so I take it that it's being dropped and the lower cost EC9 has replaced it in Ruger's current line up. Fiocchi Training Dynamics 115-Grain FMJ: Group was low and left, and placed 5 shots in 4 inches at 15 yards. This pistol is easy to shoot and has a wide range of accessories. Ruger MAX-9 9mm Micro-Sized High-Capacity Pistol: Review, .300 PRC vs. .300 Win Mag: Rifle Cartridge Comparison Review. Ive put roughly 300 rounds through it, the only issue I had was a couple failures to feed out of a cheap ProMag but that was all on the cheap magazine. I tried HST and sig HP ammo and had issues with this. That's incredible. I also was impressed with the added comfort and control with the Handall grip so much that I ordered a second grip for my standard LC9S. Buy RUGER EC9S 9MM 3.1" PISTOL 9 mm: GunBroker is the largest seller of Semi Auto Pistols Pistols Guns & Firearms All: 973349777 . As many regular readers of Shooting Times know, Davidsons offers many exclusive firearms from several major gunmakers, including Ruger. It was no problem shooting 300 rounds through the gun over the course of a few hours, even with the pistols extra slim profile. There are slight indentations on the top of the grip that make this already slim gun (already one of the skinniest guns in our test) feel even slimmer. BTW Customer service at Ruger is fantastic. Have someone else try yours before you call/send back to the mothership. This is when the round being fed rotates during its movement and ends up vertically in the breach, which results in a jam. This item: Ruger LC9, LC9s EC9s 9mm Leather Clip On OWB Belt Magazine Mag Pouch CCW - TAN USA. In this Article: About StoegerThe Stoeger STR-9 OverviewThe Stoeger STR-9 Features & PhotosMore PhotosRange TimeAlternatives to the Stoeger STR-9Accessories for Stoeger STR-9To Sum Up Stoeger is a company that I am familiar with. Ruger LC9s Pro Specifications: Caliber: 9mm Luger. You may want to consider the new Shield Plus. SIG Sauer is working to tame the 9 mm pocket rocket with the new 365 ammunition line designed specifically for sub-compacts with barrels under . This means you can take advantage of top-quality options including the trigger housing mounted LaserMax (left) GripSense activated light and laser model or the Crimson Trace (right) green and red laser options. Also why I save every Sniper Country I get, just because Im am often asked about guns Ive never actually held. My carry ammo is 115 grain Federal HST's. Check out the controls up close youll see the takedown pin/gate. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be a problem with the EC9s. Im highlighting a version of the pistol that is exclusive to Davidsons (Ill get to the details of this special pistol in a few minutes), and it retails for $294. He said Taurus was coming out with something new, a new 9mm. Again, the street price can be considerably less. A micro-compact 9mm with a stack-and-a-half magazine that holds at least 10 round. You might want to try my favorite pocket holster, a DeSantis Super Fly. Unsubscribe at any time. The round polymer magazine release button is textured for better purchase. The gun was also quite comfortable. Obviously, Ruger didn't make the EC9s with competitive shooting in mind. Gun deals, hand's on reviews, educational content and news on law changes, every day! If Muddy Girl doesnt appeal to you, other Davidsons exclusive finishes are Davidsons Dark Earth Cerakote (MSRP: $298) and Battleworn Flag Stripes frame and black oxide slide (MSRP: $324.99). More instructions are in the owners manual. I got sig p365's in my lc9s pro. We tend to have a lot in common where pistols are concerned. Its design in such a way (with the Hogue adapter) that it stays in the hand and is ready for follow-up shots.. $16.95. If you own one, lets hear from you below. Here are the features to watch out for. As you can see from the chart, its standard deviation was in the low double digits, indicating the ammo is consistent, and its accuracy in the EC9s was very good. They are the best things that have ever happened for 3 to 3.5 inch barrels in my opinion. Ruger EC9s 9mm Ammo. Check out this Viridian laser that attaches to both the rear and front of the trigger guard. The Hogue HandALL absorbs a lot of the recoil impulse. Ruger EC9S BLK/Turquoise 9mm Pistol. All the guns Ive reviewed over the years are capable of better accuracy than I was able to deliver. V-Crown jacketed hollow point which yielded a best group of 1.66" with an average of 1.77". Each magazine comes with a flat base floor plate and a finger extension floor plate for extended grip. I bought my EC9s when they first came out and lost the takedown pin for about an hour. Ruger provides it so that users have the utmost in safety when disassembling the pistol. Increase your magazine capacity to 9 rounds with this extended magazine for the EC9s, LC9s and LC9. NOT ONE recipe failed to cycle the LC9sPro, which is essentially identical to the EC9s, except for the lack of a safety on mine. More importantly, everything it makes has the performance to match. The trigger reset is distinctive but the trigger has to be released about 3/5th of the way along its arch of travel to reach it. Gun KnowledgeGun LawsNewsReviewsStatistics, AccessoriesHandgunsRiflesScopes & OpticsShotguns, [emailprotected]gunfacts.com(512) 522-4033. I shot both 124-grain ball ammunition and 115-grain ammunition through the pistol. Anyway, heres the takedown drill. Ive had my EC9s for about 2 years now, its a great little shooter. The slide is 0.9 inch thick and so is the grip. The bullets patented Flex Tip eliminates clogging and aids bullet expansion. Ruger LC9/EC9S/LC9S Magazine 9mm Luger 7 Rounds Polymer Extended Base Steel Blue. Yes, the dovetailed, removable 3-dot sight system would be replaced with milled-in sights instead. While the MSRP is $299 you will find the pistol for sale at much less. Product Description. . Subscribe to our newsletter and get gun deals, educational content, hand's on reviews and news on law changes! 5 oz. Hogue HandAll Beavertail Grip Sleeve Black W&W M&P Shield, Ruger LC9. It's been sore lately. 1125fps FMJ. He is a firm believer in the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms. We do not recommend the use of steel cased ammunition. Finally, Ruger uses a "black oxide" finishing process on the EC9s' slide and barrel rather than the "bluing" process they use on the LC9s. From the other side, take a very thin, pointed object like a mini-screwdriver and press against the takedown pin, pushing it out of the gun far enough to grasp it with your fingers or pliers. Both are very thin in the grip area the gun squirmed a lot when firing. This leads to a problem where the shot has more recoil than the shooter is expecting, which results in them not holding the gun firmly enough. Sized for concealed carry, the EC9s is chambered for the 9mm cartridge. Ammo & Storage; Firearms; Unsorted Firearms; Unsorted Optics; Unsorted Accessories; Unsorted Fishing; . For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Feb 27, 2018. The slide is steel, and it has six wide grasping grooves on each side at the rear. For a not-very-high price tag, you get a lot of gun for your money. Rugers are not known for having significant cycling problems, so a failure to feed the next round can be a disqualifying error for someone looking to buy a Ruger EC9s. Dovetailed sights are replaced with a blacked-out fixed variety that are milled into the slide. It would be a good deal if it had a street price in the $400 range. The three exclusive EC9s pistols have special finishes that Ruger does not offer on its standard EC9s. Ammo Armor Magazine Protector $9.95. Prices start at $425. At just under 4 pounds of weight, its one of the lightest triggers Ive ever tested. https://www.facebook.com/299GUNSTop Guns is a locally owned and run business. JavaScript is disabled. So it comes down to a matter of personal preference. The Gold Dot G2 has the bonded UNICOR design of the original Gold Dot but with new skives and a shallow nose cavity filled with elastomer rather than the original hollowpoint. Free shipping for many products! They are machined right into it. Change up your ammo type, put some stronger loads in the gun, and see how it fares. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. The G2 bullet in the CarryGun 9mm ammo is lighter weight than the G2 bullet in the Gold Dot duty ammo; consequently, the CarryGuns G2 bullet weighs 135 grains so that it will reach optimal velocity out of a short-barreled pistol and produce consistent expansion and exceptional barrier penetration. As most of my competition guns are set up for a flat black rear sight and a high visibility front sight, I like having that option available to me. As we near the end of the second decade of the 21st century, the sub-compact 9 mm semi-automatic pistol has taken its place at the top of the pocket-pistol and daily-carry hill. That is a really nice touch. If youre in the market for an inexpensive 9mm that packs a punch, why not check out the EC9s? With all of the new double stack wizardry, seeing a new gun released as a single stack is a tad perplexing. Written by on 27 febrero, 2023. Fiocchi makes some great 9mm training ammo, and the Critical Defense is a go-to for carry guns. If its not due to how the thumbs are riding, it can also be due to the grip itself. Stoeger got this handgunners attention around 1980 when they At first glance, you may not think theres anything too special about the Ruger P95. Federal Aluminum (about $35/200 out the door at Walmart) is a pretty good deal for practice ammo. Nashua, NH 03062. This will comfort many of you concealed carriers out there. Seems to get good reviews. 4.0. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[120,600],'americangunfacts_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_5',167,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-americangunfacts_com-large-leaderboard-2-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[120,600],'americangunfacts_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_6',167,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-americangunfacts_com-large-leaderboard-2-0_1');.large-leaderboard-2-multi-167{border:none!important;display:block!important;float:none!important;line-height:0;margin-bottom:15px!important;margin-left:auto!important;margin-right:auto!important;margin-top:15px!important;max-width:100%!important;min-height:600px;padding:0;text-align:center!important}.