Campfire Kodiak 313 subscribers I now understand why this is the most popular hike on the Kenai Peninsula! The cabin is small and sleeps six people on two wooden sleeping platforms. Glad to have proper gear (although wish we had snowshoes) to get through the snow. Trail is in great shape. The cabin is equipped with a wood heating stove. Gear Review: The Xero Scrambler Mid is an Ultralight Hiking Shoe for Spring, Gear Review: Yeti Roadie 48 Wheeled Cooler, Kristin Harila Continues Pursuit of 8000-Meter Speed Record, Two Expeditions are Attempting the Northwest Passage This Summer, Climate Change is Disrupting Climbing in the Alps, Video: What to Take on a Bikepacking Expedition, Adventure Quickies: Park Service Social Distancing Signs, African Tourism Devastated, and More. All of a sudden the snow just stops and then its clear trails all the way to Hope. Resurrection Pass Trail was a route used by early gold miners to access mining claims along Turnagain Arm. Always near the cabins and in between here and there. The cabin can be accessed by hiking, biking, skiing, horseback or snowmobiling. We went Cooper Landing to Hope. Photo by Mary Green. The trail is well-maintained and usually highly trafficked during the summer months. We had a blast and every campsite was amazing and well kept. I definitely recommend taking 5 days to truly enjoy every single aspect and landscape this Alaskan trail has to offer. We had mostly dry weather and stayed at Caribou Creek, East Creek and Juneau Lake cabins. The 100-mile race, which dates back to 2003, began Friday afternoon and followed the Resurrection Pass Trail from Hope to Cooper Landing and back, with a brief detour to the Devil's Pass trail . Activity includes distance from the end of plowed road to the trailhead. Did this trail alone this past weekend, 8/6-8/7. NEW BOOKLET: Did Jesus Identify Himself as God? by Mike Oppenheimer is our newest Lighthouse Trails Booklet . The Resurrection Pass 50 and 100 mile trail races are low key, relatively self-supported running races on a US Forest Service trail between Hope on the north and Cooper Landing on the south on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. the particular trails you will be on as well as general wilderness safety and first aid. Travel 4 miles to trailhead parking. Kraig is an outdoor and adventure travel writer based in Nashville, TN. Dropped my car off in Cooper Landing, hitched to Hope and started Southbound from there! Just before the Juneau Lake Cabin, I passed the Romig Cabin (on the south tip of the lake). There was only one spot in the pass that still had snow over the trail and it only lasted about 40 feet. While this helped the music industry see increased revenue for six straight years moving into 2021, the video game . Birds!!! A ~40 mile singletrack trail from Cooper Landing to Hope, scenic backcountry. At mile 15 Hope Highway in Hope turn south onto Resurrection Creek Road. Winter travelers need to be able to evaluate avalanche and over-ice travel conditions. Spargo also said hikers can expect downed trees across the trail. Check current fishing regulations before wetting a line. The middle portion of the trail above tree-line is great! People need places designated IMO for health and safety. The cabins were great! The trail is now a National Recreation Trail maintained by the US Forest Service. Along the way, linger to fish in Trout, Juneau, and Swan Lakes, climb any of the ridges . You can also access the cabin from Devils Pass Trail. I had wet shoes for 2/3 of the trip. Slipper mud in places that made it a little slower. You'll gain and lose 2,000 feet in elevation along the way. From Resurrection Pass Trail North, its 11.5 miles one-way. I imagine that if it was dry and sunny it would be phenomenal!! Cabin users are responsible for supplying their own wood, but you may find some that the previous guest left behind. Because the elevations are low, it is a safe trail to hike earlier in the season than most other Alaska trails. Finally, the world's greatest writer receives the scholarly Delphi treatment. Resurrection PassLocation: Between Hope and Cooper Landing, about 100 miles south of AnchorageDistance: 39 miles (each direction)Extended Trail: Some combine this trail with Russian Lakes Trail for a 60-mile trip between Hope and Cooper LakeTotal elevation gain: About 2,200 feet in either directionDifficulty: ModerateSurface: Gravel and Dirt Mountain PathsWebsite: www.alaska.org. If you want to walk down to the creek, its a very short trip. The Hope end of the trail passes gold-dredge tailings and an overgrown mine site, each a good reminder of the areas past. Overall really awesome trail did it north to south and impressed with how maintained it was just overgrown in a few spots. A splitting maul and saw are available on-site. Resurrection Pass Trail was a route used by early gold miners to access mining claims along Turnagain Arm. many parts after juneau lake was flooded from record snowfall last winter. Resurrection Pass Trail has 2 stars. Great views, and despite how many people were on the trail a fair bit of solitude. The Resurrection Pass Trail is 39-miles long and the two main trailheads are Resurrection Pass Trail South in Cooper Landing and Resurrection Pass Trail North in Hope. Its a long one, but it is so beautiful and so worth it. Need help planning a trip? The Resurrection Pass 50 and 100 mile trail races are low key, self-supported runs between Hope and Cooper Landing, Alaska. Great trail. We lost a nice newish pair of mens boots off a Pulk sled due to the icy jostling around and had hoped to find them on the trail or at the trailhead but others, apparently, were not so kind :(, Beautiful trail. The NRT Database is a free service provided by American Trails (a non-profit) and we need your support! The best times to visit this trail are June through September. The cabin is situated in a great location and the sunset views from the cabin deck are amazing! At one point when the trail is by the river, there is a whole network of beaver dams. The trail is mostly non-technical, there was one climb going south to north after swan lake up to devil's pass that was the most technical for the ride in terms of rocks and elevation gain. or death. The one-way distance between the two main trailheads via Hope, Seward and Sterling highways is about 43 miles. All rights reserved. Open to skiing and snowmobiling, the trail is a level path, gradual grade, some steep grade with switchbacks. The Resurrection Pass trail runs north to south from Hope to the Seward River on the Kenai Peninsula, only about an hour-and-a-half from Anchorage. As I was hiking this weekend, I did notice bear scat on the trail. finished in 19 hours. The crew of the Pave Hawk found the hikers and a crew of pararescuemen brought the hikers onboard. and the safety of those you affect. Many. Dogs are welcome, but must be on a leash. Started in Hope Tuesday June 28, Beautiful day And finished in Cooper Landing on July 1.. No trail guide can be also many slushy or slippery snow crossing in the pass. Featured NRT Articles Camped near Swan Lake. I loved the hike but I am giving this 3 stars because the mountain bikes have really done a number to the wet trail conditions. Resurrection Pass Ultra Races. Day hikes and multi-day trips are possible, depending on hikers' desires and time available. If youre looking for an overnight backpacking adventure near Cooper Landing Alaska, then I recommend staying at Fox Creek Cabin. The trail is now a National Recreation Trail maintained by the USFS. Capture a web page as it appears now for use as a trusted citation in the future. The higher elevations when you get some views are great. Race dates: July 28-29, 2023 Res Pass 100 miler Starts: Friday, July 28 at 3PM Location: Resurrection Pass Trailhead in Hope Res Pass 50 miler Change in trail mileage through trail extension, Change in trail mileage through trail retraction, Change in trail mileage through significant trail reroute, Undesignation of trail (removal of NRT designation status). Saw a few bald eagles, golden eagle, marmots, and deer. This was my first solo backpacking trip ever. Subsidence has caused the porch to sink in and I would avoid renting this one for awhile until they fix it. Special features: Alpine scenery, large lakes, fishing, and a series of fee cabins. Winter travelers need to be able to evaluateavalancheand over-ice travel conditions. The views from north to south were that of dreams. Ice and frozen crust solid enough that snowshoes werent needed. Devils Pass to Fox Creek Cabin 20 miles one-way. Beyond Swan Lake, the trail climbs in switchbacks into Juneau Creeks alpine upper valley. It was downright miserable to navigate the rut created by bikes in a few places. this trail is more like 38-39 miles and not 44 miles. I would say you are in the trees for a large majority of this trail but once youre in Res Pass its pretty to see all of the rolling tundra. It was pretty disgusting to see pile after pile right in front of the cabin, especially since there was a sign that tells you where to corral them in the back. It really was a once in a life time trip. Photos No photos available. Most of the trail to the Fox Creek Cabin was away from the creek and somewhat boring (with one major exception! Resurrection Pass is a popular trail for hikers and bikers in the summer. The trail is now a National Recreation Trail maintained by the US Forest Service. Refer to USGS map Seward C8. I have done plenty of hard rated trails on here that were less challenging than this trail. The Resurrection Trail connects the small (think: three roads small) town of Hope with Cooper Landing via a 39-mile trail through the Chugach Mountains. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Went in 9 miles, camped then headed back the next day. Just returned from a 4 day, 3 night, relaxed pace backpack trip with 6 total (3 adults, 3 kids ages 10, 13, 14). I plan on doing the other 27 miles sometime this summer but all in all, I think I would rather stay at the designated campsites. You can also access it from Devils Pass. Last year in the 50 mile race this hill felt like hell. While on the ridge, views of the river and surrounding mountains pop in and out. You're mostly under canopy and there are few views along the way. Hiked out today in about 4 hours. I'm sure my pace slowed down a lot on this hill, but it didn't really feel like it. The Resurrection Pass Trail was part of a route used by early gold miners to get from Resurrection Bay near Seward, AK, to mining claims along Turnagain Arm. A local favorite, Resurrection Pass Trail offers day or multi-day backcountry hiking or biking adventures. We did not realize the rule about leaving dry wood for the next people until our second night but made sure to leave a nice supply of dry wood and kindling for the next guests. Begins at Cooper Land Trailhead, traverses 38mi to Hope trailhead where there's an aid station where you can pick up your own supplies or get supplies from aid station. The best way to hike this in the winter is to buy a cheap plastic sled and carry your stuff on it. Photo by Irene Lindquist. When in forest or limited visibility, stay in your hiking world and pay attention! All other edits can be submitted via the below form: The NRT Database is a free service provided by American Trails (a non-profit) and we need your support! 99631 (907) 271-2773. Trail was overall in good condition, about mile 3 is a beaver dam that flooded a portion of the trail, you gotta go in the woods to get around it. The cabins were awesome! Its popularity is due to the significant amount of diverse opportunities available, including hiking, cross country skiing, snowmobiling, camping, scenic vistas, waterfalls, wildlife viewing, and access to lakes and streams.