The Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes and Related Disorders Support Community connects patients, families, friends and caregivers for knowledge, support and inspiration. Hugs. Thrombocytopenia red devils mc ontario. I've always been troubled, knowing something must be wrong, but no one has determined what. It doesn't itch or hurt at all. Petechiae commonly appear in clusters and may look like a rash. Should I watch for signs of complications? If they reappear and stay for longer than a few days I'd probably see a doctor/dermatologist, but it really doesn't sound like anything abnormal. youre not alone. It was caused by Chronic ITP (idiopathic/immune thrombocytopenia purpura). I have had a few petechiae on and off for 2 months now, usually no more than a handful at a time. Sorry, I wish I had an answer. They scare me every time I see them, I always tell my self I'm not gonna look anymore but then some caught my eye an Petechia Is it really anxiety? They are chronic, and showed up gradually with no reason. Clumps of them on your skin look like a rash. Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health. (Thinking about volleyball, I only ever played that once, and as I dislocated my thumb doing it and my psycho gym teacher was completely grossed out by the sight of me popping it back in, I never had to play again, for which I was *extremely* glad - it was waaaaaay too painful for me.). Thats why healthcare providers arent sure exactly how many people have this condition. I am on Prozac(12 years, currently weaning off)and this is the only probable explanation that I have come up with for my symptoms. You'll soon start receiving the latest Mayo Clinic health information you requested in your inbox. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Accessed March 13, 2019. I have no fevers, night sweats, bleeding, fatigue, etc, or really anything to worry about, though the 2 or 3 petechiae at a time have come and gone since then. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Just one more reason, I guess to get a diagnosis! Clear editor. Ugh. I was one of the lucky ones for whom that worked. Just slept funny. the unsubscribe link in the e-mail. Upload or insert images from URL. No idea why it's bugging me now - quarantine stress, stress over GP retiring, something else. In December I broke out with hundreds of petechiae all over my tummy and chest. Blood work came out good. Doc had no explanation. Frustrating. They privacy practices. Petechiae if so it could just be your skin is sensitive and even rubbing against fabric or sweating could trigger them (im not a doctor but thats what Ive been told). They appeared only when the infection acted up. 1998-2023 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). WebThey're small and hardly noticeable but there are around 20 on each arm (only upper arm). Petechiae, yay | Anxiety Community Forum Welcome to the Anxiety Community Forum, a friendly space for discussion, help and support with mental health My dad can, or at least used to be able to, do the thumb to wrist trick. my health anxiety has kicked in since quarantine and ive messaged my GP multiple times about the spots. Who knew?! They were actually used to help make my diagnosis, and actually I'm surprised that they are not on the Beighton scale. Healthline Persistent worry thats difficult to control. Bubbs21 Member Posts: 47. Seek medical care if: You may want to ask your healthcare provider: Thrombocytopenia low platelet levels may increase your risk of issues like excessive bleeding and bruising. Petechiae is associated with thrombocytopenia. Everything was within normal limits except the MPV, which was a little high at 10.3. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back, The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/anxiety-disorders-70, New guy heresharing my debilitating anxiety story, Mirtazapine increasing from 15 mg to 30 mg, Fleuxotine 20mg. When I'm out in the sun they are very noticeable. Could the UTI and spots be related? I'd hedge my bets on anxiety, or irritation from your clothing. The palpitations happen whenever, when i sit up in bed or stand up, when i laugh to hard or just now when i was bring groceries in i could feel it pulsing in my neck. Patient aims to help the world proactively manage its healthcare, supplying evidence-based information on a wide range of medical and health topics to patients and health professionals. Additionally, considering the fact no entity has found a CAUSE for ME, much less a cure (with very good theories out there, & good results from some trmts), this site helps empower us all with our own "anecdotal" evidence. The bleeding causes the petechiae to appear red, brown or purple. Mayo Clinic WebPetechiae and Palpitations causing me stress As the title says, for the past year I have been getting petechiae and heart palpitations after i got strep throat. Bleeding that won't stop is a medical emergency. Registered in England and Wales. Don't know what to do about it. But twice this week my entire forearm has been absolutely covered, with big patches on my upper arm. The rashes resemble patches of pinpoint red or purple spots, known as petechiae. Pain free everywhere. Good day my friends, I awoke this morning (great news) and noted that I had Petechiae across my lower abdomen. Befallingdusk - Thu the redness almost instantly disappears but leaves behind either the bright red spot (petechiae or angioma) or a tiny, raised, light brown crusty scab-like lesion. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Been to multiple docs no one can figure it out. They did x-rays and a MRI scan and bloodwork. The publication StatPearls says that petechiae spots measure no larger than 2 or 3 mm across. I first noticed it after trauma to the forehead requiring 4 sutures. Petechiae But a few reappeared again yesterday, again on my thighs. or where I carry a heavy shopping bag on my arm, but these eventually go away. Platelet Disorders Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (TTP) I fear that my anxiety and stress and depression will somehow develop into a seizure disorder. Finally i found out what the name is! Display as a link instead, Petechiae & leukemia?! You cannot paste images directly. Upgrade to Patient Pro Medical Professional? Seek immediate help if you or your child experiences bleeding that can't be controlled by the usual first-aid techniques, such as applying pressure to the area. B12/Folate deficiency is one of them. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2019. They rang the proverbial bell. Have questions about navigating your Inspire support community or need assistance from one of our Inspire Moderators? The bloods ability to clot depends on healthy blood platelets. We're the ones invested in causes and cures. Anxiety https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. I have had chronic sinus/digestive problems and I also have extensive petechiae(mainly limbs tho' slightly fewer/larger on trunk). We don't know what posts in which forum will trigger focused research on our part that might lead to quality of life again. Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth and Nails, we pay way too much attention to any detail in our bodies. How many times have folks on the forum diagnosed themselves with a deadly disease because of google? Last night I began to have symptoms of a UTI. Anyhow, he has been tested for every kind of blood disorder and they have all come back negative. For example, you may have an autoimmune disease that affects your platelet levels. hi you had answered a question of mine a couple days ago regarding petechiae , if there where only spots randomly placed around the body would that be a concern? https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/immune-thrombocytopenia. In adults, the disorder is often long term. petechiae anxiety forum The doctor and nurse practitioner both showed NO concern about the previous spots, but I'm very worried. Get useful, helpful and relevant health + wellness information, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44195 |, Important Updates + Notice of Vendor Data Event, (https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2012/0315/p612.html), (https://www.cancer.net/coping-with-cancer/physical-emotional-and-social-effects-cancer/managing-physical-side-effects/low-platelet-count-or-thrombocytopenia), (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK542208/), (https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/blood-disorders/platelet-disorders/overview-of-thrombocytopenia), (https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/thrombocytopenia), Visitation, mask requirements and COVID-19 information, Bone Marrow Failure and Cytopenias Treatment. Petechiae rash - Health Anxiety - Anxiety Central Forums & Chat When they do, one of the first symptoms is a cut or nosebleed that wont stop bleeding. on my trunk. I also have several cherry angiomas on my trunk, arms, back and skull. Would An Anxiety Chat Room Help Me information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Bruising in Dogs: Ecchymosis Even at the worst of my flare ups, sometimes I could sit down for 10-30 minutes and then get up pain free (it'd come back but still). Typically, straining will cause the dots to appear on the upper area of your body including the neck and shoulders. Today I was at L&D due to a headache since Saturday but the nurses and doctor werent too concerned about it when I showed them. Interestingly, I also ave chronic microscopic hematuria (blood in urine) and have had tests, but is probably there due to something similar to the petechiae. Its most likely just pressure on your body for long periods of time, I dont think its anything to stress over too much. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with ), chest (two) and a few other areas on my body. At least a few times sneezing resulted in SHIFTING the pain to the other joint - this sensation hasn't happened in years, but it still is something that did happen at one time. Tourniquet pressure such as from wearing a diaper or baby sling. Petechiae with normal blood count | Mumsnet I'm a teenager and it feels like I've had anxiety my whole life. Web1. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could My husband said my arms and legs were jerking. Clear editor. Typically, straining will cause the dots to appear on the upper area of your body including the neck and shoulders. WebApproximately 59% of physicians felt that fatigue was a very impactful symptom, while 66% of physicians believed that ITP-related fatigue was associated with reduced quality-of-life, and 46% felt that fatigue is often severe. I have petechiae which is associated with leukemia and its freaking the hell out of me. i had complete blood work done about 4 weeks ago and everything came back normal, a rheumatologist and dermatologist looked at my photos and also assured me nothing is concerning about them. Years ago I checked it in the animals. Healthline Anxiety and Stress please help with advice. So it's us- right here- educating ourselves and interested parties about this devastation likened to last stage AIDS. I had Lyme at 16 and have had these spots come and go ever since blood work comes back fine every few yrs I have a major break out from head to toe, but any other day I have a few on legs feet and upper body. Skin Rashes | Health | Patient Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. WebPetechiae are flat and look like pinpoint-sized red, brown, or purple dots. Thrombocytopenia levels are: Some people with mild cases of thrombocytopenia dont have symptoms. Straining One of the more basic reasons you will have petechiae appear on your skin is due to straining. Since then I've suffered on and off with lesser pain in the SI joint (sometimes I do hobble around, for the first few years this was a more common issue), hips, spine, rib cage, and recently the right side of my breast bone becomes slightly to severely painful from time to time. - I believe I bruise easily, and have two scars on my hand from a cat bite & a scar on my knee. Straining. They also tested for the genetic marker of ankylosing spondylitis and I had it. My son who has classic EDS (8 yr. old) has been having these since he was 1 (our first indication that something was not right). Im finding yo comment now because I have the exact things you describe. Petechiae result from tiny areas of superficial bleeding into the skin. That, too, is helpful information. Purpura: You may have red, purple or brown spots on your skin. I always get this, especially on my arm, where the strap to my purse or filled canvas grocery bag is resting on. Instantaneously, just like that from a sneeze. I think it's Petechiae - Petechiae are pinpoint, round spots that appear on the skin as a result of bleeding under the skin. The general aching in your bones and muscles could well be associated with Paste as plain text instead, WTF? Abdominal exam: he discarded any symptoms of ascites and he said he couldn't feel my spleen or liver were enlarged by palpating and by taping it sounded they were WTF? Thank you so much for the helpful reply. Petechiae In adults, this may be triggered by infection with HIV, hepatitis or H. pylori the type of bacteria that causes stomach ulcers. Accessed Feb. 21, 2019. Proton Pump Inhibitors I noticed after working out and showering that I had 2 new spots on my stomach, and a small line of very small spots which looked like it was from an abrasion. yea ive had a few blood tests done and everything looks normal, that still doesnt fill me with confidence and for the palpitations my doctor just kinda says "we done tests, get over it" :C. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. I just constantly look for the dang things, on legs cause of past break outs and of course I Google everything and main reason for them it says leukemia so constant anxiety. However, that information will still be included in details such as numbers of replies. Nickdon321, April 30, 2019 in Health Anxiety. Your link has been automatically embedded. Following a complete lack of sensible diagnosis for the cause of either, I worked out that they were symptoms of over-exertion for me. Petechiae He didn't have to crawl to the bathroom. Thrombocytopenia often affects people with certain medical conditions, like autoimmune disease or who take certain medications. - I don't think my skin is REALLY elastically, but I don't really know how to judge. I am worried about leukemia and other terminal illnesses related to petechiae. If you're pregnant and your platelet count is very low or you have bleeding, you have a greater risk of heavy bleeding during delivery. Petechiae Cancer Survivors Network Check out these best-sellers and special offers on books and newsletters from Mayo Clinic Press. About 5% of people who are pregnant develop mild thrombocytopenia just before giving birth. I'm worried now because I have a dermatology appointment on Thursday to figure this out, and I got my last CBC report from end of February today. Thanks guys. Reasons You May Have Petechiae In time, myelodysplastic syndromes might cause: Fatigue Shortness of breath Unusual paleness (pallor), which occurs due to a low red blood cell count (anemia) We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. And of course if you Google them it's always cancer!! If you do, ask your healthcare provider if there are medications or activities you should avoid. Advertising revenue supports our not-for-profit mission. I have similar spots as well. Ive had petechiae in the past been to docs about it had blood work came back fine anyone else have this problem? Having said that, in respect of the streaking effect and the generalised redness, the photo looks like a hybrid of petechiae and the weird blotching that I'm getting these days as a non-itchy allergy thing (if I get too much of it, it's time to reach for the piriton [chlorpheniramine] or risk having more of a reaction some time later that can extend as far as breathlessness and confusion). Straight after getting EBV, I ended up getting petechiae on my upper arms and around my knees and ankles (which are still there). There is another thread on the forum about petechiae and they mentioned sunburn assomething that can cause it. I remember it once quite vividly; despite the initial sever pain of the shifting painful sensation I was sort of happy since I was able to use a leg I hadn't been able to use well in a while - the other leg was in pain instead. - I've never experienced knee or ankle pain. By kp27. I think it is an EDS/weak capillaries problem, along with the horrible bruising for no reason on my legs. Petechiae isn't technically a rash, but it is a skin disorder that occurs due to leukemia. Capillary bleeding in babies can occur due to many reasons, including (2): Coughing bouts. (And once when I was a kid, someone put water wings on me for a swimming lesson. 1. I also have dermographism. Last reply 2 weeks ago. I too have health anxiety and have been to 5 doctors regarding my petechiae and they all are not concerned since my blood work was normal. I wish the lab would call me back so I could schedule the damn blood work but no luck. Petechiae- very worried. Petechiae- very worried. My wife has the same issue. For those who don't know, petechiae are dots of blood which appear under the skin; they often appear with purpura, which are larger areas or patches of blood under the skin, rather like a bruise. They appear suddenly, then fade over time. Im sure Im forgetting something, as forgetfulness is another complaint. By The most common symptoms associated with anxiety include, but arent limited to: Persistent restlessness or nervousness. Tiny, spaced out red spots? Recently I was on Dexamethasone (steroidal anti-inflammatory) after wisdom tooth removal and WOW. By using this Site you agree to the following, By using this Site you agree to the following. They come and go mostly on my stomach. Anyone ever have to face this? He said unless my SI joints are fused, I do not currently present any signs of AS and that the other symptoms I've had are not that common in AS. People just thought I'd had a crazy growth spurt but most kids are growing fast and don't get stretch marks. I took care of a man with AIDS to his death. Platelets are blood cells that form blood clots to help stop bleeding. Tons and tons of them. Sounds normal to me. I get petechiae a lot. Went for a blood test and it came back normal. This is really freaking me out. I have a small 'sprinkling' of them on the back of each of my upper arms, that are permanent. They can sometimes indicate a drug reaction or more serious blood-related issues, so you might want to get it checked out. undefined will no longer be visible to you including posts, replies, and photos. It still hasn't healed. Petechiae? - HealingWell Just one more thing to bug me. include protected health information. I remember getting petechiae all over my forearms from playing volleyball in gym class. If you don't have signs of bleeding and your platelet count isn't too low, you may not need any treatment. We use arnica salve on him at the first sign of injury and this seems to help. While the x-rays did not show much the other test showed inflammation on a scale of 6/10. You notice changes in your body that could be thrombocytopenia symptoms, such as new bruises and unusual bleeding. ); the bloodwork came back fine. I'm always covered in them over any little bump, light pressure or touch. its frustrating when no one understands, but its reassuring to know other people have gone through it as well. Petechiae Rash: although there were some petechiae in my body most of my rash is slightly raised and non-petechiae and the skin is dry. Unfortunately I dont remember. They never go away. It may also cause bleeding in many parts of your body. I had low platelets and couldn't keep them abouve the teens unless I took large doses of prednisone. The color varies from red to blue or purple as they age and gradually disappear. It's really just a form of bruising. Theyll ask about your medical history, including any medications you take. Petechia - Teeth have always been hugely crowded, as I have a small mouth. Yes, I have these. I get them when I carry bags on my shoulders, scratch, and especially when I played volleyball! One of the more basic reasons you will have petechiae appear on your skin is due to straining. Maybe it's more about sustained pressure than how tight something is. I am just really antsy right now. I looked like raw bacon after.) Uncategorized. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I found this very interesting. They scare me every time I see them, I always tell my self I'm not gonna look anymore but then some caught my eye and I'm back to searching my body again, Mine started when I was 16 for some reason I had Lyme at the time but not sure if there related. The rheumatologist told me that's what I had and once my first flare up was under control I never went back. Immune thrombocytopenia. I don't do it anymore but once I did and fainted. Stress and anxiety and Petechiae - eHealthMe Im sure youre fine. Petechiae? Freaking out - Anxiety - MedHelp Petechiae, yay | Anxiety Community Forum Like, ALL over it. Yes, I've woken up with a large area seemingly covered in petechiae, and all was well. Patient does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. After that the major break outs would come on and off every few years usually around April for some reason I'm 32 now and there are always some on my legs and thighs. I'm worried (as usual), and I have made a doctors appointment about it. Make a donation. however, i havent been able to shake my anxiety over them and have since developed severe symptoms of stress (shaky hands, heart palpitations) which, although I know is just anxiety, i use to fuel the assertion that something is wrong with me. WebCan petechiae be caused by stress? Just looking to commiserate with someone on the petechiae. Ive had it too. Causes of Petechiae in babies: etc. I also recall for a time I was afraid of sneezing, because when I did, not only was it painful but I occasionally experienced my SI joints popping. The bleeding causes the petechiae to appear A few weeks ago I noticed some 11-12 red spots on my thighs that didnt blanche when I pressed on them. But unlike many rashes , when you press on the spots they don't I could do it online but I need to find out if my doctor ever actually sent the order for the tests before I go (don't want to go there and not be able to have them done). http://bestpractice.bmj.com/best-practice/monograph/823/diagnosis/step-by-step.html. It was explained to us that this is part of EDS- fragile skin, capillaries etc. I almost always get huge stripes of them when I get my blood pressure taken. This community is sponsored by the Ehlers-Danlos Society, an Inspire trusted partner. Usually on my upper thighs. And I believed it..sad but true..scary what Google can do to you. There is another thread on the forum about petechiae and they mentioned sunburn as something that can cause it. I also have very small pinpoint like red spots on my arms, chest, and legs that do in fact blanch and have been there for years. Aplastic anemia occurs when the bodys bone marrow doesnt make enough new blood cells. Your healthcare provider can explain whats causing the low platelet count and discuss treatment options. They rang the proverbial bell. Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy linked below.