She escapes, ending up on the tropical island of Saint-Domingue, near her intended destination, Jamaica. Click here to find even more Outlander film locations in Stirling University. You've inspired me. In the first few minutes of "Do No Harm," the Frasers arrive via boat at Aunt Jocasta's grand plantation home, River Run. But, even when you go to visit youll recognise it all. It is quite a drive to get here, but worth it in my opinion as you can see the gorgeous countryside and the loch where Claire can see Inverness in the distance. He thought Gary Steele might produce something more modest. Firstly, we see Claire push Bree through the park in her pram, then later we see Claire walking over a bridge to Boston medical school. The castle is derelict, so youll only be able to admire it from the outside. Jamie gets a big surprise when he travels to town to recruit new tenants. Some of the grounds in Muiravonside Country Park were used for the encampment in the scenes leading up for the battle of Prestonpans. Up there with the likes of Castle Leoch and Lallybroch, this is one of my favourite locations. That would take more strength than I have.". Claire moves to Boston with Frank in the 1940s 60s, raises Bree and trains to become a surgeon. There, Steele and his team dress them with greenery to make it look like they're actually coming out of the ground. Web Visit website. Most of the food is real, too, including the feast that accompanies a wedding that will occur this season. You can still visit the herb gardens where Claire and Geillis meet, however. So, I felt very lucky indeed. Outlander Big House on the Ridge - Linda Merrill The castle that plays Lallybroch in the series is Midhope Castle. While here, Bree stumbles upon Geillis Duncan who is campaigning for the White Roses rally, a movement for an independent Scotland. What she doesnt know is that the ship belongs to the Comte Saint-Germain and she makes a new enemy by sticking her nose in. Steele led me down a series of winding hallways, each decorated with framed production shots from each season, into the show's mind-blowing main prop warehouse. But, you can only access it by taking the ferries. If you dont drive, it is completely possible to visit some of these locations with public transport too. Although there will be a lot of displays rather than dying patients! The beach where you can see with the Cristabel in the background is Troon beach, which is less than an hours drive from Glasgow in South Ayrshire. Fans of Sam Heughan may also be aware that it has appeared in photographs used to promote Barbour. We also see the Reverends house reappear in series 2, when Claire returns and at the end of the series when Claire and Bree attend the Reverends wake. The church was made to look old and poor for the series to stay true to the book. Outlander star reveals how the pandemic changed season 6 - Digital Spy Once youre inside the cathedral, head down to the Lower Crypt where the tomb of St Mungo is kept. If you were wondering where the Kingston port scenes were shot in Jamaica, the Outlander team also shot these on the Black Sails sets. The latest season was really powerful and moving, wasn't it? With the small size, there was always a plan to start working on a bigger house on Fraser's Ridge. After we see Claire return through the stones at the beginning of 201 and reunited with Frank, we then skip to Jamie and Claire who arrive in France. The last location to visit in series 2, is Culloden Moor. For Brianna and Roger (Richard Rankin), the answer is a Scottish festival to learn about their heritage, supposedly located in North Carolinas Blue Ridge Mountains. It is private property, so respect the families privacy and follow their rules. She predicted this will be around May 2020, so naturally, this has fans super excited! But, it was only used for shots of the front anyway. The owner even told me they changed the plug sockets to American ones for the show. Where were the outside shots of Jareds home filmed? After .css-gegin5{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;text-decoration-thickness:0.0625rem;text-decoration-color:inherit;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:#9a0500;-webkit-transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;transition:all 0.3s ease-in-out;}.css-gegin5:hover{color:#595959;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;}Stephen Bonnet's terrifying attack on their riverside camp, Jamie and Claire are on to slightly safer accommodations in this week's episode of Outlander. Also some of the classrooms from the Joseph Black Building. After Frank dies in a car crash, Claire locates Jamie as A. Malcolm living in the 18th century. On your visit, you can also see the gate that Brianna and Roger walkthrough on their visit in the 1960s. He traps her in his home with his goddaughter Mary Hawkins and stops her trying to escape. Its here she meets a kindred spirit, Joe Abernathy. The day wrapped up with a ride out to an Outlander location we know and love from season 4: the cabin that Jamie first built on Fraser's Ridge. One of these castles is Bamburgh Castle. Rated 2 out of 5 by Cristina Ricqn from Don't bother having a belly! Sam Heughan has given a magnificent performance in season 5 so far. The Outlander effect in Scotland is no secret. Fans may jump for joy when they find out they can actually stay here! @llaurenLyle(Marsali) and of course the official @Outlander_Starz account. When Claire and Frank move into Furey Street in Boston. We may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy. Its here Claire resets Jamies hand and tries to save his life after the damage Black Jack Randall has done. If you want to see a complete list of Outlander locations and the top things to do in Culross, see my guide here. If youre only here for a week or two, it may be easier to land into the central heart of Scotland and visit the two main cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow. Sir Walter Scotts described its beauty in his poem The Lady of the Lake, so has drawn tourists for centuries. This is the spot where the ghost of Jamie stands looking up at Claire brushing her hair (which, Diana Gabaldon is supposedly going to explain in the last book). Although you see them walking down Wee causeway in Culross, the location of the witch trial is actually in Tibbermore Parish Church near Perth. Outlander Season 3 Filming Locations - Top Picks from Around Scotland She gets lost in the jungle and is rescued by Father Fogden and Mamacita. They used recycled water tanks and blue and green screens were used to make it look like they were at sea! But, its definitely worth searching for. The team also decided to shoot some scenes at Cumbernauld Glen nearby the Wardpark Studios. In the first series, we see Claire first meets Geillis in the herb gardens with Castle Leoch in the background. Well, the front of Hopetoun House was filmed as the exterior Earl of Ellesmeres estate. Whether its Claire, Bree, Frank or Roger that filmed here we have yet to find out during the series. In Outlander, youll recognise this as the gardens in the Palace of Versailles. If you take the path leading onto the forest go to the end. In series 4, Brianna decides to find her mother and finally meet her father, so she travels back through the stones to their time. As a HUGE fan of the show, I did go on an Outlander journey through Scotland last year and visited many of these locations myself. If youre going to visit, you can take a tour of the mill to learn about the history and see the mill wheel that Jamie goes to fix. The beautiful River Run, is plantation home to Jamies Aunt Jocasta. 10 "Outlander" Filming Locations Around Scotland - TripSavvy But, having not been there myself, I cant prove that one just yet! The Outlander is a combination of fantasy, action, and romanceand atmospheric Scotland is its perfect setting. You can only go inside the castle with a private tour and photos are not allowed inside for security reasons! She is looking at a blue vase in a shop window (more on this next). 1. But, her journey is anything but smooth. These scenes were all shot on location at River Edge Lodges in Perthshire. Maybe thats because they havent had time to sit down and rest yet? I loved looking at photos of previous Outlander inspired events. Finally, he assumes a new identity as A. Malcolm and sets up a printer shop on Carfax Close in Edinburgh. There's lots of sleeping rough on the road, horse riding through the Highlands, campfires and buggy roadside inns. If youre planning on visiting Prague Castle, the church can be found in one of the streets hidden nearby. I had the pleasure of staying here at the apartment on my visit (sadly, that room was occupied). Although the production team dont want to disclose the exact location for safety reasons (of the set and the public). Well, a nail-biting two week break seems a good time to reflect, no? check the opening days and timetables here. Like. Where all Claires coughing and spluttering patients line up and wait about to be called in for attention. Copyright Third Eye Traveller 2023 | Disclosure & Privacy Policy, The best Outlander filming locations in and around Edinburgh, A self guided walking tour of Outlander on the Royal Mile, The top Outlander filming locations in Glasgow. Click here to read about even more locations shot here with a FREE map to find them. The Signet Library is home to one of the oldest professional bodies in the world and is a place of learning for the official writers of the Signet. If you'd rather seek out the inspiration behind River Run in North Carolina, head to what is now known as Fayetteville. This amazing emerald cavern with a ruby red river flowing through it is called the Devils Pulpit located in Finnich Glen near Glasgow. If you ever wondered where the Reverend Wakefields House is in Inverness, then you just need to look inside Hunterston House in West Kilbride, North Ayrshire. Its the seat of Clan MacKenzie with Laird Colum MacKenzie as the leader. You can also see the duel location of Jamie and Black Jack Randall here and the grounds of the Scottish Festival in series 4. When George visited Edinburgh in 1822, he called it the finest drawing room in Europe. And then there's the wigs: Balfe's Claire and Heughan's Jamie each have four wigs, Richard Rankin's Roger has two, and Skelton's Bree has three. The iconic first season of Outlander was set in England and Bonny Scotland. Where is Outlander filmed? Plus her adorable dog, Bouton. There are plenty of stone circles in Scotland you can visit including the Callanish Stones which look the most like Craigh Na Dun. Although it is a private residence in a remote location, the family do kindly let fans visit to see the spot. This location can be found in the main square of Falkland Village at the Covenanter Hotel. So, make sure you leave time to find some of the Outlander references about and purchase some Outlander souvenirs to take home too. We did think about [shooting in] Jamaica, admits exec producer Maril Davis. Its here he tortures and rapes Jamie. But I have to be honest: Nothing prepared me for turning a corner to find Sam Heughan getting a makeup touch-up while dressed as Jamie Fraser. However, you can take as many photos of the outside as youd like. Have you visited Brazil? Abercorn Church and graveyard were used to shoot this heartfelt scene. So, that spot was considered the end of the world as the people of Edinburgh knew it. You can read more about it in my guide here. Sadly, this is not open for public tours. Standing as a 200,000 square-foot studio and the only one. North Carolina's Outlander Connections | NC DNCR Isnt the house fabulous? A possible series 5 Outlander location is the Bridge of Allan in the Stirling area.