<>/ExtGState<>/XObject<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/MediaBox[ 0 0 612 792] /Contents 4 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S/StructParents 0>> Applying a warm compress may also help. 45D Memory Foam Post-Surgery Pillows for Back, Neck, Head, Shoulders Support & More - Ergonomic. FREE delivery Fri, Mar 10. ), chatted with him in front of TV all the morning, I finally started to feel a vacation-like time, I even forgot that I have two crucial tests that will dramatically determine my future, scintigraphy-scan & Thyroglobulin. The crowd quickly increased, hopefully we arrived early, a faked young blind even tried to cheat & take my place, no way!! EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow 2. Abstract Introduction: Thyroid surgery is a popular and effective treatment for many thyroid diseases, including thyroid cancer. This pillow has many years of providing relief; from helping to restore the natural curve in the neck, relief from neck pain symptoms like stiff muscles and headaches, to helping with more serious conditions like advanced arthritis and pinched nerve symptoms that cause neck, shoulder and arm problems. I woke up around sunset (not good for someone who wants to have a good sleepy night), chatted with Yunes, and checked my pace-meter which showed zero. Show time, I refused to ask any question, but this time I did not forget to remove my T-shirt. Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex. My struggle against constipation started to pay finally, anyway the medic came around 9AM to propose me bowel cleansing material, it was not difficult, but the saline went away almost as clean as it entered, maybe because I forgot to shake it to mix the paraffin oil, anyway I left around 100 cc full with paraffin oil for another session later. After your surgery, you may develop hypothyroidism. All this, was a short moment of painful doubt, that I over-passed the morning after. <> :). January 6; 2014: December 24; 2013: I managed to not wet an electrical alarm plug very close to the bathing area. They may be due to irritation from the breathing tube inserted into the windpipe during surgery, or the result of nerve irritation caused by the procedure. I bought also an educational weekly newspaper that I spent the rest of the day reading & taking important notes from it, I will buy it regularly from now. I met the nuclear doctor; he immediately asked me to start the imaging. I've had four FNA over the last 4/5 years for the nodules and all have come back fine, no cancer TG! When the gate was virtually locked, I put my medical file in my bag in the closet (no medics or doctors will come), put nuts, sweets & cookies on the shared table, cleaned my room as per my own standards (I think I washed it to the bone), surrounded my bed with all my movies & books, it was just the beginning of a seven days vacation!!! I felt the solitude this time, so I decided to take dinner in the restaurant next-by, to see people & some TV news. }>>S\)Daudn+>%| N-*}u2O5{,A/ I O@KOgophy2+n^!z-2Xn~"r/ z+Y+G?Ox/A$0wSAn/w0Ca5[)XUu#B`nFJ{D/8Re Circular!! The initial clinical suspicion pointed to a haematoma, but a needle aspiration showed chyle. During this stay, we really feel safe, we can leave our rooms without caring about phones, laptop, or money during shower, no one will have the courage to come & challenge us, & this is just called .. Nuclear deterrence, especially when the unit is called IRA-Unit, if just the I.R.A (Irish Republican Army) had this nuclear deterrence in the nineties, this would scare the English. The gentleman generously agreed to let us reproduce his letter on this site, so that others in similar circumstances might benefit from it. Back to my bed, feeling sick, my ENT friend called me to check if I was OK, he told me that will be under 175 mg of Levothyrox, I asked him if I can continue sport normally, he told me that if I make rough physical efforts like in tennis I will feel very tired the rest of the day, & that really depressed me. I went to my bed, I sent an SMS to mom asking her to implore God for me, turned off the phone, saw a documentary then deeply slept after returning on the phone back. Objective evaluation of the amount collected in the thyroid bed by ultrasonography (USG) can help in assessing the role of drains. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Yes, your Same w/me. The parathyroid glands are four, small, pea-shaped glands that are located in the neck on either side of the trachea (the main airway) and next to the thyroid gland. While i do not think there is need for alarm- you have a good doctor who is confident enough to do it and that is good. This can lead to neck pain and stiffness. After the surgery, I felt like a new person drop 12 pounds right away, it has been 5 months now and the . This operation may be done to treat a number of diseases and conditions, including thyroid cancer, symptomatic goiter, or a thyroid gland that is producing excessive thyroid hormone ( hyperthyroidism ). The Endocrine Surgical Unit at the University of Sydney recommends that patients perform neck exercises both before and after surgery to help reduce any muscle strain. I preferred going there with a T-shirt (despite the cold), then the technician who complained from the fact that we were late put me comfortably on the table, & the gamma-camera started to capture. Me too, I started the same thing with Samy, even by phone, with a lot of patience, & I felt its working very slowly but surely. ), then the surgery passed for me like a one second good dream, but later I tried to imagine every second of what the surgeon (Dr Oussama Hocine) did, neck & chest skin cleaning, dissection plan by plan, first assessment when reaching the target (the thyroid), arteries ligature, starting with the left lobe to remove the head & the body of the evil (the nodule) & its recurrent nerve securing, then the right inflamed & extremely adherent lobe with its difficulties & unpredictable bleedings, struggling to find the recurrent nerve inside, then hesitation whether doing or not lymphatic dissection (time passing), courageously deciding to go on with that lymphatic dissection despite fatigue & different opposing views from the staff, removing finally the tail of the evil (central lymphatic chain & some of the lateral ones plus two parathyroids, even peeling the recurrents). I returned to my endo in Nov for my six month checkup and had another scan which revealed two new nodules, the largest 2.5cm, it is located directly behind the 2.6cm one which was aspirated previously. What the hell does this mean? /V+ofquw=8NvsFX8v#fw5hUQepb:E\% SjHZb&BYp# `|zBONA2&6c~ ,8hb2MT}%T>ZzeTvrK]y[I%z{&sTVc[-\LzbdB*Y'rI\rd!%rK&=;>5%`-+gx+ T| Based on this experience, I was talking to a customer on the phone who was ordering a heating pad and neck brace. I woke up many times during night to drink water, eat sweets or simply go to the toilet. @oW 4Y[@? I want to share this with you regarding a customer and his experience with his wife looking for a pillow for her neck surgery. Stick to non-strenuous activities and doctor-approved neck exercises and avoid anything that might put pressure on your neck. WILL I HAVE A DRAIN? That's the main thing because especially after surgery you need the neck to stay in a stable and comfortable position. WILL THERE BE A DRESSING THAT I NEED TO CHANGE OR STITCHES THAT NEED TO COME OUT? Chyle leak is a rare complication of thyroid surgery. Papillary and follicular thyroid cancer (differentiated), Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2), Mental challenges of living with thyroid cancer, ThyCa fundraising and thyroid cancer research grants. It's important to take deep breaths after surgery, especially after big cases like a mommy makeover, to prevent atelectasis (partial . Thank you all, that make's me feel a little better about the surgery. The thyroid plays an important role in regulating your child's metabolism and calcium levels. I remembered that he said to me yesterday (Dad you told me that you will take me to France last time for my nose, Its getting worse now & Im really getting rid of this, now it blocks sometime), I was frightened & took appointment with Dr Derradji, but now I think I understood everything, he said this just to take him with me to France today, because I told them Im going to France for professional reasons. Those two things in combination helped a lot. endobj If skin is not sufficiently retracted after 6 months, anterior neck lift or lower face/neck lift should be a consideration. This can help those with neck and upper back pain when back sleeping, as well as provide support and comfort when side sleeping. This is due to the irritation of the tube in your windpipe during surgery. These changes are due to damage to the laryngeal nerves that supply your voice box (larynx) during surgery. I went to BEZ to pick up Karima, & thank God she was very late, because while I was waiting in the car, I pushed to the edge my internet researches on Samys condition (a thing I was doing unsuccessfully since years), but this time it worked, I found the name of the disease, only one article was talking about it & fully explaining the treatment modalities, its called Gerlach or Eustachian tonsils, treated by Laser Diode. I also have numerous thyroid nodules. My sister came & brought me my requested stuff, she was holding around 1O kgs (especially because of the water), I felt concerned because her broken knee was not completely healed; she had a rehab session today in a next-door unit. Before leaving, I had to see Dr Nacer-Khodja for more questions; he took me to his office then stayed away from me to avoid any unnecessary radiation on his body. Despite attempts at treating neck symptoms, in some cases, surgery is required. If your incision was closed with stitches, ask your surgeon when you can shower. In 2010 my wife had her cervical vertebra fused from C-2 through T-1, she has been in constant pain since that surgery and wholly unable to have a restful nights sleep. January 3rd; 2014: But, advancements in endocrine surgery at Johns Hopkins allow our surgeons to provide a scarless alternative to this procedure. Your surgeon. Thyroid cancer support group and discussion community. Following surgery, you may experience: Voice changes, such as, a hoarse voice, difficulty in speaking loudly, voice fatigue, and a change in the tone of your voice. Often, when a condition involves the neck and upper back, extra support for the upper back as well as the neck can make a difference. The small, two-inch gland consists of two lobes, one on each side of your child's windpipe, connected by tissue called the isthmus. Then I was called for the very important blood sample (TG+++). Or did I fix better than the others because I was under a strict iodine-free diet? I am typically a side sleeper and I was worried that this might . Dinner was nasty, hopefully the elderly patient who was next-door gave us some good chicken with warm french-fries; it was enough for a small unhealthy but tasteful sandwich. I called Dr Derraji (the ENT) very quickly to ask him about this remnant, I told him it was above the larynx; he almost laughed & told me that it was the thyroidal pyramid which is usually very difficult to reach by surgery & that I dont have to worry about it. I woke up very early, then discovered something against constipation, something not written in literature to my knowledge: drinking a plenty of water (1,5 liters) early in the morning while sitting on the toilet seat, combining therefore the effects of gravity with those of natural reflexes, because nothing can stop the water on its way DOWN. No running water in the afternoon, so I checked the 2 water tanks in the roof but they were empty, hopefully I already managed to save enough water to rinse & wash the toilet seat after every use. Why me? The water was totally tasteless, almost disgusting, but I was obliged to finish my 3 liter per day! The night was not very bad, with ups & downs, effects of radiations I think, rough throat & nausea, lead-tasting water, I was close to cancel the morning shower because of the cold, but I finally took it & made me feel much better for the rest of the day. I hesitated whether I take the money from Baba Hsen CNEP agency then buy the TV from Dwera or go to the Maissoniers one the the TV from Hamiz, to save some extra-expenses!! Elevating the head of your bed by 40 degrees can also help reduce swelling and inflammation. In a scarless thyroidectomy, or scarless parathyroidectomy, the surgeon accesses the gland(s) through the patient's mouth (called a "transoral" approach.) swelling: Typically, the lower neck does mildly swell during the first 24-48 hours, then the swelling slowly subsides over a period of 1-2 weeks. It was VERY noticeable on me due to I am 5'2 (88 lbs). As soon I arrived to Dwera, I fell on the bed very tired, without dinner nor teeth brushing, until the morning. All in go for it. The most important thing that I learnt about kids raising was that we can transform them, win them, only by loving them & listening to their feelings & concerns. For most people, these problems get better within 3 to 4 months, but it can take as long as a year. I also managed to put my entire luggage in the garage first then take stuff carefully one by one to the floor after a deep cleaning. Then, suddenly, diarrhea hopefully before the pill left the stomach. I was disappointed by Dr Khalifa telling mom that I have to stay isolated one month!! I am set to have my thyroid removed in about two weeks, and I am super nervous. Waw, I was close to ask her how her father was behaving with her to learn more from him, I wished if Sarah saw her, because this Doctor is a new good success example, congratulations Dr Hafsis father. Buy Ganaver 4Pcs Wedge Pillow for Sleeping, Orthopedic Bed Wedge Pillows for After Surgery, Foam Triangle Sit Up Pillow Wedge for Back, Neck, Shoulder Support, Leg Elevation, Acid Reflux, Gerd, Snoring at Amazon. In fact, the list of pillows seem endless, with everyone claiming theirs is the best. [14] Sore throats can also occur spontaneously up to 24 hours after surgery. The decision to perform thyroid surgery in this setting depends on the clinical situation under which the metastatic disease was found. The technician apologized & asked me if I needed help, I said it was OK & they can start. This looks like it: http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Lifestyle-Accessories-Deluxe-Travel/dp/B0038LJQ4O. The neck is put in an extended position during surgery, and many people avoid moving their necks afterward. Surgery. Tears dropped profusely this time, but calmly. I took my luggage back, put my mask & went back to the reception where I complained from the poor conditions. Or maybe it was just a favor treatment to me because I am a Doctor & they wanted to scan me more carefully. When I tried to climb on the table I broke the stepladder & badly fell on the floor, again without injuries. 4 0 obj Traditional thyroidectomies and parathyroidectomies leave a visible scar in the middle of the neck. Were my radiations unusually high for him? I tried to play guitar & sing, but my voice stuck every time when the tonality was acute, & that broke my heart. After your operation, your neck is likely to be swollen and may feel hard and numb. During the exam that lasted 30 minutes, I regretted to not stay only with a short, so the images will be as best as possible, it was too late anyway. These include, neck tightness, feelings of choking, and possible problems with eating and drinking. One thing I am sure of is that I will continue to fight without mercy, because I wanna live for me & for my loved ones. I didnt know well the new highways & I missed many times the way to get into the Algiers highway, it took me around One hour & half to arrive to destination where surprisingly I quickly found a place where to park the car, just in front of the hospitals secondary gate. This is normal to experience after surgery and will often last up to 5 days after surgery. I think I will take one more month time-off after I return back home, fully prepare Sarah for her final exam, then replace for two months & return back to prepare again the month before the exam, it sounds good to me. The operation can take as little as 45 minutes, or as long as 3 hours. Because everyone is different, there are really no pillows for any specific neck related symptoms, however, some really stand out. Finally, I headed to my temporary refuge which is situated around 30 kms from the capital. When I got into the village on sunset, I looked for a waste bin where I threw all my probably contaminated stuff (toilet case, clothes, towel & all the used plastic bags), I should do it earlier in the hospital, it was an unnecessary precaution but I felt Okay with it. I had the TT done & now you can't even tell I ever had any kind of surger. Maybe I can use on eof those once I am healed a little more. This is done to reduce complications and hospital stay. AFter surgery, the reamining thyroid tissue usually supplies enough thryoid homrone for normal function. I was not very optimistic to be honest. I decided to watch one movie every day, to keep a correct psychological balance, I saw Braveheart, one more time. All this, I am conscious that it may happened, & I pay a deep respect to all this work. Stretch and flex your calves, neck, back, shoulders, and ankles to keep them loose. My friend the ENT reassured me later that it was just a muscular fatigue without recurrential sequella & that I must undergo a progressive rehab to retrieve my full voice. One in particular is the therapeutic pillow. Brush powder over the scar. I was very impressed by the house, it was clean & very comfortable, a 3 stars hotel conditions, plus 24/7 hot running water & a nice garden, a perfect place to be isolated & to have a comfortable rest in the same time. During the 1800s, the mortality rate from thyroid surgery was approximately 40%. Many times, finding a pillow that allows a good nights sleep after neck surgery can be troublesome. There is no neck surgery pillow, and there is recent surgery and failed surgery that poses long term issues: The therapeutic pillow is a functional pillow and has a special section that supports the upper back called a thoracic wedge. I told her that it may not do the same for her, but it just struck me when talking to her that perhaps this might be something she could look into, since it reminded me of what the gentleman above had said regarding his wife. Recommendations ofr Buckwheat Neck Pillow? I shove, took a quick shower, woke up Samy for his nose pus sampling, he went first to have a nebulizer session, then serum cleaning, but his nose stayed clean after I prepared everything!! 4. Mom came around 2PM, I managed to shave first to look in an excellent shape & saw I was. The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the front of your child's neck, below the larynx (voice box). You may experience temporary changes to your voice, including hoarseness, which generally improves within the first month after your surgery. Wow, wow, wow, wow, the What is What? I'm not on medication as my levels are 'normal' and my endo was taking the wait and see approach. I cleaned my two bags with maximum unnecessary precautions, and then put them to dry in the sun on the living rooms windows fence. So, its not necessarily right after surgery, but as the years progress and difficulties arise. Pat the concealer into your skin instead of rubbing it to help it blend naturally. Parathyroidectomy is the removal of one or more of the four parathyroid glands in the neck. Surgery Monday, Released Today : r/thyroidcancer. Details like health status, age, weight, condition of mattresses, pre-existing conditions and comorbid conditions (other existing health problems) all play a role. I'm more hesitant to proceed because of then having to take thyroid medicine for the rest of my life, I'm allergic to so many medication that I hate taking anything new. Back to the educational book, I learnt many things today, and then I started to think about the whole thing & to make the connections. Limit your neck movement after surgery. After taking shower & breakfast, a medic came & asked us Who the hell took shower? & when we said that it was a lady from the RAI unit he was very upset because in his opinion we should not leave the unit at any circumstances except for the 7th days shower just before Iodine-imaging. It may take several. This is not documented in any reference, why one month? Reading other posts I feel a little discouraged that this feeling of fatigue is so common . Answer: Skin laxity after thyroid surgery You should wait at least 6 months after surgery to see how much would neck skin retract. On average, 10.2 years after surgery, DTC (differentiated thyroid carcinoma) patients reported a 58.7% prevalence of shoulder pain, which was significantly more than the 13.8% reported by healthy controls. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. In the morning, I maintained the hard diet (no breakfast except an apple), the lunch was a very good smelling fish that I did not take of course, but I was sadly looking at the other patient eating his fish because the policy here was that the iodine-free diet was useless even the fish, he was told to eat anything because iodine is volatile when exposed to air & especially when cooked, maybe they were right, the thing that I was sure is that if I asked him to not eat fish he will create a scandal & his iodine will be canceled. With an upcoming TT and neck dissection, I have been thinking about sleeping. If there is distant spread to other parts of the body (outside of the neck), it is called metastatic disease. I implored God too, me the secular, to heal me & keep me to my kids as long as possible, I sacrificed my twenties & thirties working in scorching deserts, having rough post-graduation studies, raising very young children, because I always believed that life begins at 40, even this Brazil trip with the kids I am planning it since 6 years, & finally I promised God that I will be .a good father. Anyway, I prefer not taking any risk with the kids, so I canceled the idea of taking them to sport tomorrow then to Dwera (with my wife, but without Ali) for the rest of the weekend. I took a shower then headed to CPMC to undergo another Iodine-imaging. Your Recovery. He said it will be destroyed anyway!! While this may provide a solution for symptoms, too often, neck problems persist. On my way back to Dwera, I felt the power of this love & the confidence that left on me, I was happy & optimistic about the future. However the only thing is, probably since my surgery was huge - i may have some scar tissue. I'll use it for travel when I recover. 2 0 obj Dinner time, they gave me a salt-free plate, but this time I decided to stop the diet because I was feeling signs of hyponatremia especially with the big amounts of water that was drinking, I ate it but avoided the fish except a very very small piece. Well, my bone & lungs are scintigraphically clear, & thats the most important thing to me right now, I am an N0M0. IM injection of corticoids to relief the post-radiation inflammation, I told the nurse its my first IM injection since I was 10, I was a little bit contracted so he repeated the injection twice because the first one blew up, but OK, they were painless!! I asked later Yunes to take his shower after his morning prayer. Also felt 100% better. Hi recently I was diagonsed with hypothyroidism, and recently went to the E,R, because I had trouble breathing, swallong, and constantly 57 F Thyroid medicine over 20 yrs. What if they detect something in tomorrows imaging? FormerMember over 7 years ago best pillows ever, I still use mine and if you have had a neck dissection, I found the sofa a comfy place to sleep, if the arms of your sofa are soft. )L{`,;0|ZE&wn)*SEo{n>xl|ZG[LqXe9|F9"6X)<5*S #e'om. You may also have a hoarse voice or sore throat for a few days. Sarah cried a little bit but stayed strong, hugged me, & so Samy did while Ali was sleeping, then I joined Nordin to take me to the hospital, I was a little bit concerned to be late because we were trapped in the highway traffic, but we arrived before 8AM, no obstacles at the main gate, we even parked in the personnel parking. An airplane/travel pillow. 4.3 (407) $4299. Anyway, the house was clear. Did they mean me? When I talked to the guy, he asked me to return back to Gamma-camera unit for a Static image!! I took my heavy luggage (around 20 kgs) to the taxi station, took a taxi to a hotel where I have been given a 40$ per night spider hole with a window giving a nice view on a confined laundry. Pn9/@RHw\F7F).z^t6qmk\[Ry)&:r6{[;12+W;5Rl@|CFzB^ if;Qeh;a]e]O[r w{>) K}Rx((- +pKP-1X"LkJ o When they finished, Dr Nacer-Khodja told me that it was a thyroidal remnant & that my Iodine-Imaging was strictly normal, thank God!! Vocal cord issues - The recurrent laryngeal nerve (which helps control your voice) runs very close to the thyroid gland and may be accidentally damaged during thyroid surgery. It is important to limit your neck movement for one to three weeks after your thyroid surgery. Customer reviews and photos may be available to help you make the right purchase decision! I am currently taking 275! Quick Navigation 1. Yes, your Same w/me. That has suddenly changed, from the first night she slept on the pillow you designed she has had restful sleep and no longer wakes up every few minutes in pain, moaning and desperately seeking support which would stop the pain., Thank you to the designers who came up with this product, it is a God send and will hopefully continue to provide the support she needs to re-generate through sleep and have a decent quality of life., Thank you again, from the bottom of my heart., I am so very glad you took the time to write us about Mrs. ____________ and that she is doing better with the pillow. Care of the Surgical Incision FAQs WHAT IS THE THYROID GLAND? I felt like in Robinson Crusoes Island, or just after the storm, the day he found the wrecked ship & was desperately looked for any useful stuff. Z7gFskZKJB``nsL|g,g/7? Use either a transparent powder or find a powder that matches your skin tone. Stay hydrated and avoid caffeine and alcohol. January 2nd; 2014: ), we should wait for this signature until 1PM, then the admission bulletin, I walked a lot & got tired this time, I imagine if I was alone with the heavy bags. So, here is a very good option for neck surgery. Had my thyroid removed and the only sign is a smallish white line that fits in the natural folds of my neck. The circumstances I am passing through this time offered me finally the time that I was desperately needing, & I am very thankful for this because I feel that my life will dramatically change to the best. Drains are usually left after thyroid surgery to prevent formation of hematoma and seroma in the thyroid bed. Hashimotos/ nodules the whole 9. Dinner time, I checked with the waiter if there was a salt-free diet, he said yes, thank God, it was correct, but I took the minimum to avoid giving thyroid remnants any single iodine atom. I spent the rest of the day reading the educational book. Your thyroid gland is shaped like a butterfly. stream undefined will no longer be visible to you including posts, replies, and photos. She was very impressed. A hemi-thyroidectomy or thyroid lobectomy - where one lobe (one half) of the thyroid is removed; An isthmusectomy - removal of just the bridge of thyroid tissue between the two lobes; used specifically for small tumors that are located in the isthmus.