Let us know in the comments below. Please assign a menu to the primary menu location under. What is the Difference Between Mace and Pepper Spray? Well, that does not prove that crime happens in Europe. Defend yourself, stabbing crime goes crazy. Possession of pepper spray is not an offence In Nigeria - The Guardian However, the process of obtaining a license in some countries can be extremely strict. Laws can be odd things. I have had a BIG problem with stalkers lately. However, the police continues using guns as frequently as before, causing the Danish civil liberties organization KRIM to conclude that pepper spray has not displaced the use of guns but merely added to the arsenal of weapons of the police force. It is written on the link posted above that pepper spray is only allowed for used on animals in Germany, so they are telling you about it and that's why they say they recommend the other spray, CS spray. It's a question of necessary force. It is also accepted (technically illegal, but the police don't care) that women or vulnerable people may carry one to protect against rape or other aggression. From the manufacturer Product Description For serious protection and the most extreme stopping power available, turn to the SABRE Magnum 120 Pepper Spray. "Plain and simple: pepper spray is not allowed on-post," said USAG Bavaria's top cop, Director of Emergency Services, Lt. Col. Where is pepper spray not allowed? Dagmar Breitenbach. I dont think that anyone should have to apply for a license to protect themselves with a non lethal tool. If the person has a gun, knife, whatever, do you really want to fiddle through your pocket or purse, trying to get spray that you hope in the stress of the moment you aim at HIS eyes and not your own? For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA website, opens in a new window. However, if in the worst case scenario I were to get robbed (which isn't impossible, just not very likely if you travel smart and safe), I personally would just give the guy what he wants, get away with my life and make my way to the police. While it may be under the 3 ounce limit, pepper spray is designed to incapacitate someone, which means it can't be on your body or in your carry-on bag. So I have been reading and being amazed at all of Megan's posts but the pepper spray one is the last straw. Therefore actual pepper spray is designed to cause the attacker harm: this is considered illegal in the UK. Is pepper spray legal in Germany? : r/germany - reddit There must be demand for these items; otherwise the stores would not waste valuable shelf space on them. However, there is animal repellant that is very similar and doesn't need such an arms license. Yet you owned the gun illegally. Thank you. CS is considered a weapon and is not permitted. Thats a big problem with preventative measures. They have a specific mark and any canister or device not containing this approved mark is considered restricted and illegal. Amazon Best Sellers: Best Self Defense Pepper Spray Sprays intended for use against humans are banned weapons, because German law has created a "Catch 22" type situation with regards to licensing OC as an irritant agent for private use. Furious driver PUNCHES eco-protester in Germany I would find it hard to believe that a person cannot use whatever weapon he can put his hands on to defend himself from a potentially life-threatening situation, even at the risk of seriously injuring/killing the assailant. If you already have one which doesn't have any of the mentioned labels please be aware that the police (if they stop you randomly) will file a charge for owning a forbidden weapon. CS, CR, PAM (), and (rarely) CN are also legal and highly popular. While pepper spray is illegal in Canada to carry or use as a potential mode of defence there is one exception. It is legal to buy pepper spray which stays it's against dogs, however it's illegal if it's says it's against humans. I've lived in Europe all my life and don't know nor have I heard of anyone who has been mugged - is not at all common. In Portugal, it is possible for civilians who do not have criminal records to get police permits to purchase from gun shops, carry, and use OC sprays with a maximum concentration of 5%. You grab your passport, check your wallet, toss somee clothes in something and leave. Wikipedia says: While pepper spray is not meant to be used against people, it's ok to use it for defending yourself or others: You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. Yes, pepper spray should be legal for use in self defense in the UK. The Draconian laws in the UK need changing,why not allow people a licenced carry maybe similar to a shotgun license where you do a course ( one day) over 18s of course which allows you to carry non lethal pepper spray for self defence? SABRE Magnum 60 Pepper Spray, 15 Bursts, 12-Foot (4-Meter) Range, Large Please be aware that this is not a secure email network under HIPAA guidelines. The usage against other humans is just allowed if its because of self-defence or defence of a third person. However, some states have regulations on the type, strength, and size of the spray. I feel as if my "Americanized" way of thinking has kept me in the dark to the outside world. You may find it very helpful to peruse THIS SECTION of the Graffiti Wall or THIS WEBSITE. The repellant can technically be pepper spray, as long as it's designated purpose is to fend off animals. At least in Bayern it is so. You should be prosecuted IF you use Pepper spray offensively, but purely in the defensive role should and must be 100% legal. It is an offense to use pepper spray on anyone for reasons other than self-defense. Pepper Spray Not Allowed in Carry-on Bags. Also of note the only people who may legally sell pepper spray and other self-defense sprays in the state are those who are also licensed to sell firearms. Yet, what if I bought a bigger spray bottle and took it with me to Europe, would the airports allow me to take it with me? I carry home made pepper spray. It is legal to have pepper spray for animals mailed to an address in New York City. It can only be distributed to buyers over the age of 18 and against eviction. Civilian pepper spray for self defense: Understanding user perception Pepper spray would also be allowed outside the home in certain situations, para. Therefore, it is entirely legal to use pepper spray in appropriate situations throughout the United States, including in the act of self defense, however you must make sure that you follow . You may carry such sprays openly or concealed without the need for any concealed weapons permit or other special permission. In Berlin, it has only been. So what are the legal pepper spray Alternatives for the UK? For someone to buy pepper spray in New York, they have to be at least 18 years old. You can carry pepper spray with you to use against animals. It is obviously considered not to be a safe area to be in and this would be a warning to others. Edit: If anyone wants to correct anything I might have misconstrued here feel free to comment below. Nevertheless crime happens everywhere. Petition Legalise the use and possession of Pepper Spray in the UK using any means of self defence in case of an attack is legal. Safety is a concern for many Malaysians, but we still prefer not to break the law when taking care of ourselves. Another example from the female side: I just came in late Sunday morning. Typically, it is legal to carry pepper spray in public. Peace. It's easy! It suggests to me that Paris is not all that safe. However, if you use it to assault an old lady, you expect to be accused as if you had threatened her with a knife. Its ownership, carry and use by common citizens is banned under Section 5 (1) (b) of the Firearms Act 1968. My wife picked me up and we went to brunch on the way home. I've even had guys hanging around outside my house. Some studies have found no adverse effects beyond the effects described above. I again wish you all the love in the world. Of the hopes that dazzled the last twenty years that some political movement might tend to the betterment of the human lot, little remains above ground but the tattered slogans of the past.John Dos Passos (18961970), In Europe art has to a large degree taken the place of religion. An hour after we got home, we left headed back to the airport. However, if you use it to mug an old lady, then you would expect to be charged the same as if you had threatened her with a knife. The purchase, possession and transport of pepper spray is legal in Germany, provided that the can is visibly identified as a means of repellent against animals and that the range of the spray does not exceed 2 meters. [21] As a result of these studies and deaths, many law enforcement agencies have decided to include policies and training to prevent deaths in positions. Pepper spray / mace for self-defence - Toytown Germany The study from two universities stressed that no pressure should be exerted on the neck area. Dig around in the Trip Report section for a thread called 'No Place Special'. Licences are issued for defensive purposes and to individuals working jobs where such a device is needed such as the private security sector. animals. Thanks everyone. This is against the law in Japan, as pocket knives are regarded as weapons. It's okay to carry this to the city, it's allowed, but pepper spray isn't. 2. Pepper Spray isn't human-friendly; bear spray is From a woman who has travelled solo.Your best "weapon" is common sense. In Italy, the Decree of the Ministry of Interior n103 dated May 12, 2011 removed all restrictions over private purchase, ownership and everyday carry by any citizen over 16 years of age without a criminal record of all and any OC-based compounds and personal defence devices that respond to the following criteria: In Iceland, possession of pepper spray is illegal for private citizens. Taking Pepper Spray to Europe IS NOT a good idea! Defend themselves, stabbing crime increases crazily. Felons and other restricted persons may not possess . People checking tickets on metros in the city for example, don't usually carry fire arms, but they may carry a billy club. Europe is an amazing place to visit. You are going to leave your jewelry at home. I thought that if someone was trying to rob me, then I could spray them and get away. Asylum seekers (of the muslim variety) are famous for their unbridled desire for rape of white women. In general, if someone is so exessivly drunk that he has to dicide which of the 5 versions he sees of you, the self defence right against that person is limited and they have to first try to avoid. for self defense against aggressive drunks and thieves. Pepper Sprays are legal in Germany but require a "kleiner Waffenschein". Do not submit any personal or private information unless you are authorized and have voluntarily consented to do so. Me personally been chased 2 times once for my dog by a black tall guy and 2nd time for my ebike in the park. IF (if!!!!!!) This project has received funding from the European Unions Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 743420. Pepper spray should definitely be legal in the UK with all these knife attacks, I would like to be able to carry at least pepper spray but even better would be a SW .44 pistol and a .32 ankle holster. Denmark: Possession is still illegal for individuals, but the Danish government has drafted a bill that would legalize pepper spray possession in households in 2019. Is that how they get down in Wilkesboro? The invisible UV marker dye helps identify an attacker, even if they try to wash it off. This was introduced following the shooting of a number of mentally ill citizens in 2006, where 4 people were killed. Third, you can only react in the moment, and you cannot take revenge. I think Megan is a serious poster. During the 1980s and earlier, wasp spray was incredibly effective. Why not Estban? He must at least threaten you with violence. State law prohibits the sale of pepper spray to individuals under 18 years old. No government should be allowed to diminish this. Panama is correct. Believe it or not, in the UK pepper spray / CS Gas is considered a firearm and carries the same legal penalties as carrying a gun does! Der Einsatz von Tierabwehrspray gegen Menschen kann bestraft werden (Gefhrliche Krperverletzung), soweit kein Rechtfertigungsgrund wie Notwehr oder Nothilfe vorliegt. In the United Kingdom too, the rights of the aggressor are placed above the rights of the victim. And we have the lowest number of knife and gun crimes in Europe. In Ireland, an Garda Sochna have recently been given pepper spray in an attempt to reduce attacks on its officers, however they remain an unarmed force. Sorry but I don't think it's illegal. In addition to the TSA restrictions for flights, it's illegal in many countries in Europe. It is illegal to buy pepper spray in Australia across its States and Territories, except Western Australia. Is it any difference from using a kitchen knife for self defence in my property? Pepper sprays can be owned and worn by adults without registration or authorization. Why we need to legalise pepper spray for women walkers and runners - Stuff As others have said if it ends up in court the burden is then on you to prove you needed to use the spray. North Carolina's Pepper Spray Laws: An Overview