(but only if you mean it) I wonder if you ran into your ex-teacher and had a pleasant conversation with him or her, and before leaving your teacher said, "It was nice talking to you," would you reply your teacher with "Thank you. In informal contexts, I'd be likely to reply with which is a long-established "set phrase" for such situations. It was nice to make your acquaintance, and I must say, Im incredibly excited to start working with you next week. Its most common in formal or business contexts since youre more like to have a discussion that requires your attention. Its been great to talk to you. Informal: -Yes, catch you later! It was nice talking to you. Nice isnt as powerful as delighted, but sometimes the context or tone will require a less powerful word, making nice a better fit. It is intended to show that whatever you did you were very happy to do so. (I would probably not actually say this one, but 'me too' seems to be used more and more these days as a generic response, even if the logic doesn't work: A: It was good to see you again. I know youre busy, but I appreciate you meeting me. (This one sounds better because 'me too' is not by itself.) It was good to talk to you is a good choice even if youre not familiar with the person youre speaking to. The difference is that I had a lovely time with you sounds even more pleasant than It was lovely seeing you because of the deliberate use of the pronoun I., We can make use of I had a lovely time with you to sound way more likable and genuine than It was lovely seeing you.. Yes, but only if its a very informal conversation. These usage differences go to show that using less formal alternatives to It was a pleasure speaking with you is generally harmless and acceptable. There could be many ways and it depends on the speaker. However, I always reply this way Thank you. Same here. Or Thank you. Nice talking to you Its great to get in touch with you. I've really enjoyed the experience as well. You can say, it was a pleasure to meet you in formal emails when youve spoken to someone for the first time. { This is a polite phrase that you say to someone that you've just met for the first time at the end of the conversation. Thank you! It was a pleasure. It is common to respond simply with Likewise, or with It is nice to meet you too. There's a whole range of possible answers, ranging from "Thank you" to "The pleasure was mine", with some neutral and perhaps even derogatory replies possible (try to avoid the derogatory ones :) ). I hope we can do it again as soon as the new findings come through. If your new contacts reputation precedes him or her (in a good way, of course), it never hurts to let the person know that you have already heard about them. If the verb is in the present tense, it's not going to be used when the event is almost over or after it is finished. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? because the relationship between the two people is quite close or intimate. Hello. I hope you agree. "name": "How can we thank someone for speaking with us over the phone? Let me know when you want to meet again, and well see what we can sort out. I hope thats the first of many meetings we have together. What if its your new colleague? I hope Ive convinced you to change your mind. B: Thank you for coming tonight, Jane. Lets meet again soon. These messages maintain peace and harmony in society. I hope we can arrange something like this again soon. What about these options I wrote off the top of my head? Now, lets dive into all twelve best replies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. It's still "current" today, but I thought it would be at least Victorian, if not earlier. If we have had an initial interaction with a person over the phone or any other voice-communication platform, we should say It was a pleasure talking to you over the phone today.. Like It was good talking to you, using I enjoyed talking to you also helps in avoiding impressions of being overrated. It was nice to talk to you about this shows that you valued someones opinion and learned from them. Frequently Asked Questions. It was nice talking to you works well here too. Thank you, I had a great time learning about the business today. It shows that you had a good time talking to them, and you might want to discuss further issues in the future. I usually respond to such statements with something like that. We should hang out again soon. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. Once you reach an agreement, you could tell the people you negotiated with that it was a pleasure working with them by using the following phrases: "Thank you so How do I align things in the following tabular environment? Take care! It couldnt have been easy, but I do appreciate your time. Enter a Melbet promo code and get a generous bonus, An Insight into Coupons and a Secret Bonus, Organic Hacks to Tweak Audio Recording for Videos Production, Bring Back Life to Your Graphic Images- Used Best Graphic Design Software, New Google Update and Future of Interstitial Ads. It was a pleasure. I had a great time with you. It works best when youve only just met someone for the first time. }, rev2023.3.3.43278. I wasnt sure if it would be worth the time, but you proved me wrong. Thank you so much. Some people have found a clever and witty way out and they reply with nice to e-meet you answer. If youve just finished speaking to someone in a formal setting, you might want to say something positive when saying goodbye. I had a great time. Again, steering away from the outright replies, you might want to use something like this to set up a second meeting. can come off as a little discomforting if we dont have enough responses in our word bank. Some of the most common responses from the other person are: Pleasure/nice/glad to meet you, too It is (very) nice to meet you, too. We usually do this by thanking somebody for whatever they said in the previous email (i.e., Nice meeting you) and telling them that we had a great time there. At school, asked by a teacher to share something with the class, It would be my pleasure to answer the question.. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Thank you so much. It was nice to catch up works well when you havent spoken to someone for a while. But avoid the K reply, which can feel terse and rude. To digress a bit to sentence structure, the difference between Speaking with you and Speaking to you is subtle enough to be neglected. Thanks for your time, Bob. Is nice to meet ya an informal reply? to begin your interaction by praising the recipient. 12 Better Ways To Say Nice To Meet You Online (Zoom Or Email). To respond to either It was a pleasure talking to you or It was a pleasure speaking with you, we often say And you too or The pleasure is mine., Now that the basics have been laid out, its time to take a look at some of the most effective alternatives for It was a pleasure speaking with you.. While similar to being delighted, there are still different ways we can use nice, like so: Again, we can use a more powerful word than nice to reply to nice meeting you. Changing the reply to It was a pleasure meeting you is a great way to show that youre enthusiastic and happy that you met your business partner. Before you decide to skip the social nicety, consider the context of your email. Styling contours by colour and by line thickness in QGIS. Why is this sentence from The Great Gatsby grammatical? Where does this (supposedly) Gibson quote come from? you can also say same meaning as above. This strategy also makes the message receiver remember who the writer of the email message is. You might want to set up a second meeting as a reply, and we can do so like this: Martin holds a Masters degree in Finance and International Business. In situations like the one below, it would be inappropriate to use highly. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. Martin holds a Masters degree in Finance and International Business. If we want to show the person that we are excited to meet him or her, we would most likely use. We can use It was a pleasure talking to you today, for example, after having a discussion over breakfast, lunch, or dinner with another person. Did this satellite streak past the Hubble Space Telescope so close that it was out of focus? Why is this sentence from The Great Gatsby grammatical? Does anyone know whether pleased to know you can be used instead of the nice to meet you greeting? In other words, it makes social interactions a lot easier. Im glad we could spend this time getting to know each other before we started on the same project. It was great meeting you is a fantastic choice in formal English. Im glad you were willing to give me the time of day. You too = It was a pleasure working with you too.) You always seem to know how to make business lunches more interesting. It helped to ease my mind about the way things are going right now. Do I need a thermal expansion tank if I already have a pressure tank? And you too, is the best way to respond to it was a pleasure talking with you. We say thank you because the person speaking to us is being polite and kind. -Okay, me too, see you!! If you know they are busy, it might be worth saying something like this. Its a pleasure to meet you Pleasure to meet you too It was nice meeting you too The pleasure is mine Formal and Informal: Its very nice to meet you Nice to meet you too Lovely to meet you. (polite) Lets meet again, okay? Using a pleasure here is great in formal situations. It is grammatically correct to say It was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday because the time expression yesterday precisely coincides with the verb tense in this sentence. You can decide on any other positive adjective that works (i.e. Ill let you know what I decide once Ive had some time to think things through. You turned out to be a really good company. However, it is also not necessary that much, in fact. However, you may not be sure how to reply to it and might need an extra hand with that topic. How can we prove that the supernatural or paranormal doesn't exist? How to respond to a person saying pleasure ? 1) I started playing the violin recently. Id love to hear what. It's been my pleasure, and I wish all of you well in the future." When we receive an email that says nice to meet you, we most likely dont know exactly what to write back in response. I would like to offer you a place at our company if youre willing to take it. Most people would say that I had a great time with you works best after an informal date. likewise: similarly so with me [answered likewise to Pleased to meet you]. To digress a bit to sentence structure, the, In a similar vein, we would also hear the relevant phrase. Let me know if theres anything else you need from me at any point. is more appropriate, and the choice between talking to or talking with was questioned. Hi! Thank you for shedding some light on some of these things. I had a great time learning today. Thank you so much! One of the things we say is It was a pleasure speaking with you.. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. It is a great pleasure to meet you as well. Moreover, the expression It was a pleasure to talk to you is an even more widely-used alternative for It was a pleasure talking to you., However, It was a pleasure talking to you is meanwhile more popular than our expression today which is It was a pleasure speaking with you.. It was lovely to meet you is another great alternative you can use when meeting someone for the first time. Im glad we could meet shows that you appreciate someone spending the time to talk to you. Its a good phrase to use to show that you enjoyed the first meeting with someone. When would you like to meet again to discuss further arrangements? Hey fellow Linguaholics! "Although I'm leaving, I wanted to tell you what a pleasure it was being your colleague." I wish we could prolong the ("polite") If you are in a hurry: I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation. It was nice to make your acquaintance. or perhaps "Same here!" But in formal contexts, I might say "The pleasure -Hey, it was great to talk with you too! Pleasure to meet you. Is there a proper earth ground point in this switch box? While it works really well in most cases, some people might see it as lazy. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Also is another word we can use to flip the greeting into a reply, should we need to. WebIt was a pleasure meeting you. * (pretty informal)*. You can set up a secondary meeting with when would you like to meet again? Its a great reply to nice meeting you because it sets up a new meeting time, which keeps the business email open-ended, and gives you a possibility for more business. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Well, the time of saying that is much important. Delighted to make your acquaintance (very formal! B: Me too.) This establishes you're familiar with the other person's work and skills and fosters having a positive interaction. Answer. Do you want two examples, one for formal and one for casual? When the situation is even more casual, it also follows that we would want to wrap the conversation out in an informal manner too. Welcome to EL&U. WebIf it's the first time you meet/know someone, I think is more suitable, which means I'm glad to know (meet) you. Acquaintance is a strong, formal word that people use in emails in this way to show that were happy to have been introduced to someone. -Good chatting with you too! If the message is strictly business, for example, then bypassing the nice to meet you part could make your email sound a bit too abrupt. You may also like: Nice To Meet You Vs Nice Meeting You? What is the answer to it was a pleasure meeting you. He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. B: Wish we had more time to talk earlier. So is it correct to use this nice to meet you phrase? When to use which of your example sentences is all up to what tense the verb is in. "@type": "Question", Thank you for coming to me with these concerns. There are some responses I use when someone says Nice to meet you: Them: Its nice to meet you! -Hey, it was great to talk with you too! "@type": "FAQPage", We could specify when the talk or discussion happened by using time expressions like yesterday, last week, this morning, and so on. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? Anyway, these replies are better to be used when you are meeting someone in person. I started playing the guitar recently for my pastime. A: When I receive a response from them, I will be sending it to you. I wish we could prolong the meeting a bit more. I look forward to hearing from you again soon! 11+ Ideas How to Respond to a Cancellation Request? It provides evidence from a corpus (COCA) that is related to "It was nice to talk to you.