Kicking off our list is this high-quality coolant from Honda. On average, the coolant will reduce your engines operating temperature by 20 degrees, making it the perfect dirt bike coolant, or racing coolant. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. The Halfords Ready Mixed Anti-Freeze & Coolant features a silicate free formula with Organic Acid Technology (OAT) for superior engine protection. If you turn up with a leaking motorcycle at 45,000 miles then their advice will be "What do you expect at this milage? EVANS has achieved this high boiling point by creating a water-free formula. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. If you find any milky deposits in the coolant, that could be a sign that oil is getting into it, which could mean a blown head gasket or damaged block or cylinder head. Expert tip: Keep on top of basic maintenance, If the coolant isnt replaced frequently enough, corrosion can start to form inside the engine, says Nick Nomikos, owner and MoT tester at The Two Wheel Centre in Harpenden. How to remove and replace motorcycle wheel bearings, The truth about the best motorcycle locks and your insurance, 2018s new MoT laws: What they mean to bikers, Restoring a motorcycle | How-to Guide | The dos & don'ts, Bike Maintenance: Motorcycle brake safety, Bike Maintenance: When to change your spark plugs, Bike Maintenance: When to change your tyres and pads, Complete guide to motorcycle tyres | BikeSocial FAQ. You can read the below in detail at your leisure. You just need some/any ready-mixed OAT style coolant (very common nowadays - loads of cars use it), Hi, just looked in my tt600 owners manual, and it states the bike left the factory with 50percent mix of water and ethelyne glycol based anti freeze, and indeed that's the stuff I use in all my bikes, something to do with it being OK for aluminium engine parts etc. This coolant may be a little pricier than other options on our list, but the cost is far outweighed by the money youll save on fuel and maintenance. It's NOT HP but at least it is Type 2 and Honda. The motorcycle insurance definition of garaged | Bike security explained, What is an ECU reflash? But the Halfords OAT Antifreeze, five year life, silicate free, suitable for Aluminium Engines, is the one I have used in the past on both my CBF500 and Sprint ST1050 without issues. The only thing I see as being different is the price! Transport Committee highlights the potential of synthetic fuel. The next motorbike coolant to earn a place on our list is by EVANS. I asked. Honda CBR500R (2019-2021) maintenance schedule and service intervals. Pop the reservoir hose back on, as well as any other hoses you might have taken off, but leave the drain bolt out. Being free from silicates a conventional antifreeze ingredient that can deteriorate over time the durable coolant has an impressively long life. Honda has earned themselves a second spot on our list, thanks to their ready to use coolant. This improves efficiency can also save you money on fuel and repairs. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Peak Asian Blue). Bennetts is a trading name of Bennetts Motorcycling Services Limited, registered in England and Wales (company number 11453343) with its registered office at 27 Old Gloucester Street, London, WC1N 3AX. If the radiator is badly corroded or blocked up, youll need to remove it and have it repaired or replaced. I was careful not to damage the radiator, but I should have removed the nozzle. But when mixed with water, it performs well as a coolant. Whenever youre servicing a Triumph motorcycle, you might come across the section that says you have to replace the coolant every 4 years (regardless of mileage done) with HD4X. My local dealer also sells Honda, and they use Honda HP Coolant Type-2 for Triumphs. Draining and flushing is too difficult for me to do with the tools I have. P-HOAT (Phosphated HOAT) - Phosphates and organic acids - Blue or pink. I also removed the bottom rad hose to ensure everything was out. Unfortunately, with the level being low, I'm having a hard time telling what color it is. This adds up to a coolant that helps keep your engine running smoothly for years to come. Keep an eye on the temperature gauge as if the fan hasnt come on by about 105C, theres a problem; turn the motor off and find out whats going on as itll usually come on around 75-80C. Being under warranty I take it a Germanic Honda dealership. Collection Details Mobil Advanced Coolant (OAT) 1 Litre Protect your vehicle from frost, corrosion and overheating with the Mobil Advanced Coolant (OAT) 1 Litre. Thats it refit the caps and get on with riding. If you hear any hissing, wait until the pressure is released and the hissing stops before lifting the cap clear. An alternative to ENI Agip Permanent Spezial Antifreeze and why. Maintenance schedule and service intervals for the Kawasaki Z750 and Z750S, made between 2004 and 2012. They are the recommended manufacturer for all KTM bikes. Like HD4X, Zerex G-05 is a Si-HOAT formulation. Once the engines cooled, drain it all out again, then flush it with the hose until youre sure the system is completely clear, remembering to flush the expansion tank again too. My hope is that this will give you the confidence to take on the job for yourself, but only with a workshop guide specific to your machine will you have the correct procedure. In an emergency, you can top up with water but this will be diluting the mixture, which will reduce the effectiveness of the system, so you should get it back to the correct mixture as soon as possible. YZF-R1 for 2015+. Start the engine and once again let it fast idle for ten minutes. It can also have a surprising impact on the vehicles fuel efficiency, helping you save money on gas. Will have to sort that one out first anyway. It is ready mixed so requires no dilution and it can be used all year round as a coolant and as anti-freeze with a temperature range of +108C to -34C. The versatile solution is suitable for use with practically any motorcycle, ATV, UVT, or even snowmobile, making it a good choice for garages with more than one vehicle. Now top up the expansion tank with coolant to the upper level, then fit the caps. Sign up today to stay tuned. Read More Kawasaki Z750 and Z750S (2004-2012) Maintenance Schedule and Service IntervalsContinue. * If in any doubt, always refer to manufacturers recommendations & handbooks. Sign up to keep up-to-date on everything happening in the world of Halfords. Your browser's JavaScript functionality is turned off. So thats the coolant part what about corrosion inhibitors? I think Engine Ice is pre-mixed coolant? Drop Ren a line - ren@bikesandtravels.com. Once the engine is flushed with the hose, pop the drain bolt back in using the old sealing washer, then half fill the system with tap water. I will be doing a full coolant flush including several rinse throughs so it will be all new stuff. Went through that journey a few years back when doing my coolant change on my Triumph T-Bird. Before I sign off let me make something clear. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. 5. You should top the cooling system up with the same coolant as was added in the first place some are compatible but to be sure, dont mix them. My hope is that this will give you the confidence to take on the job for yourself, but only with a workshop guide specific to your machine will you have the correct procedure. But I've got 5 litres of distilled water which I plan on flushing down the system before putting in the new one. Maintenance Schedules is a (work-in-progress) catalogue of all the service interval tables for motorcycles and cars. It has to work, whatever the weather, and takes punishment from your pistons, tens of thousands of times every minute. Race teams have depended on EVANS for years, to protect their engines from the strenuous conditions of the track. Relevant identified uses of the substance or mixture and uses advised against Use of substance / mixture: Antifreeze or Coolant. Is this compatible with a 2011 street triple 675? Like Triumph HD4X, Motorex M5.0 is a hybrid OAT (HOAT) coolant that contains silicates. For this reason, its a great racing coolant, capable of maintaining a stable temperature even in tough conditions. A lot of the tables are manually copied from old PDFs. Over time, the coolant in your motorcycle can deteriorate, leading to a whole host of mechanical issues. For ease of use, the formula has already been diluted with water, so its ready to go straight away. For more information, please see our How do you keep a motorcycle safe? The Daytona's was higher up to the right side above the radiator, the Street's is below the radiator. HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) is a combination of both, though its potentially incompatible with either. Does a miracle fuel additive really work? ZEREX G-05 antifreeze/coolant uses the highest quality virgin ethylene glycol for freeze and boilover protection and a hybrid organic acid corrosion inhibitor package to protect your engines from liner pitting and corrosion. Look out of a coolant that can protect your engine at cool temperatures, ideally around -24 degrees Fahrenheit or colder. HOAT can last a long time, and its effective at preventing rust at low and high temperatures. With a container underneath, remove the coolant drain bolt and washer from the bottom of the water pump on the left-hand side. For more technical information, the data sheet for HD4X from Finol says that Triumph HD4X, This info sheet mentions its free of nitrites, which contradicts with the info below. But the two best Triumph HD4x alternatives are below. To help you make an informed decision, weve compiled this brief guide. Engine Ice High Performance Motorcycle Coolant, 4. Officially the world's most bitter substance, just a tiny amount of Bitrex makes our products extremely unpalatable - and therefore safer - by helping prevent your children and pets from accidentally swallowing something they shouldn't. /bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/bike-maintenance/change-motorcycle-coolant-diy-fix-special, bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/Bike maintenance/change-motorcycle-coolant-diy-fix-special, How to change your motorcycles coolant | DIY bike fix, The water used in water-cooled bikes (and cars). Drivers say that the coolant works perfectly, keeps cooling ports clean, and offers excellent value for money. To backup this information I found this webpage -prohondaoils.com/maintenance/hp-coolant/. Peak calls this a Si-HOAT formula, which is just another way of saying its mostly an OAT but it does contain silicates just as we want for our Triumph motorcycles. Thanks to the addition of corrosion inhibitors and lubricants, the versatile solution also helps to clean and lubricate pump seals, keeping them in great condition while you drive. Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) Coolant was pretty much the original type of coolant and is still used in older vehicles. Need to get some coolant and Halfords is nearby.I'm looking on the Halfords website and there are a few non-silicate options, although nothing bike-specific.I see a few acronyms like 'OAT' and 'NAS-free' that I'm not too familiar with. It also contains propylene glycol, known for its ability to prevent pump gasket failures. My Triumph dealer recommend the Castrol Motorbike Coolant (Blue) do I have to use the dedicated 'motorbike' coolant or can I use normal stuff from Halfords (branded or otherwise). In use, it significantly reduces the formation of bubbles and vapor, reducing the coolants average temperature by up to 20 degrees Fahrenheit. The solution is simple to use, too: ready-mixed, the coolant can be put to use straight away. This bike takes 2.3 litres of coolant, so make sure your container is large enough. The fluid is formulated to work in harmony with as many different vehicles as possible modern and classic, gasoline and diesel making it a great option if you have more than one motorcycle. You may have noticed from our list that motorcycle coolants come in two main categories: As the name suggests, water based coolants contain water about 50% of their total volume comprises water, in fact. This info sheet for Triumph HD4X Hybrid Oat says that it is. My point is I expect my Honda dealership to follow Honda's recommendations to the letter, no matter how ridiculous those recommendations may be. Maintenance Schedules | Service Intervals. There are also two other alternatives that will work, though they lack nitrites. Its Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) chemistry combines the best of conventional and organic acid-based chemistry to provide the ultimate protection against rust and corrosion. https://prohondaoils.com/product/hp-coolant/. Hope this helps. is often simply called antifreeze, but it does more than prevent the cooling system from freezing up (which would be bad as water freezes it expands, which can crack your engine) Modern coolants are designed to raise the boiling point of the liquid and offer corrosion protection inside the motor. The inhibitors in HD4X include organic acids in combination with, HD4X uses sophisticated stabilisation technology to eliminate the potential for formation of silicate gel (often observed with inferior products). This lack of water also prevents corrosion and cavitation, keeping maintenance costs low over time. Triumph HD4X is a HOAT coolant, and specifically a Si-Oat coolant. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. I am sure the whole thing is an unnecessary rip off. RTFM. Specifically designed for ATVs, UTVs, trail bikes, and motocross bikes, its the perfect solution whatever vehicle you drive. This liquid helps the bike stay cool by transferring heat away from the engine block to a radiator where it can be dispersed in the outside world. There can be compatibility issues between coolant types so its important the system is thoroughly flushed between changes mixing the chemicals could cause sludge to form, even if there are just traces of the old one left. "No that's 9.99." This info sheet for Triumph HD4X Hybrid Oat, Kawasaki Motorcycles Maintenance Schedules and Service Intervals, Kawasaki Standard Motorcycles Maintenance Schedules, Honda Motorcycles Maintenance Schedules and Service Intervals, Products Used for Maintenance and Service. It lasts around 30,000 miles before it turns too acidic and needs to be changed.