Cats can be evil at times. Along with, Cats are said to have seven lives in Spain and other Spanish speaking nations. Nonetheless, cats can still be injured or killed by a high fall. Morris the Cat strolled onto TV and into Americans' lives in 1969 as the finicky spokes-cat for 9Lives cat food [source: Elliott ]. In addition, 9 was seen as asymbol of immortality, as it was the highest number that could be represented in the Greek numerical system. Cats can sense bad energy and alert you when there is something wrong. Each time you make a purchase through one of our independently-chosen links, well receive a percentage of the proceeds. So, which is it? This means that, technically, cats could live forever. Thats right, just like you and me, your cat has a zodiac sign that says a lot about their personality. Despite their work as mousers, cats retained their air of mystique. Most sources simply cite an "old English proverb"a proverb that mirrors what could arguably be called the three stages of human life, as well: "A cat has nine lives. So I tried my best to convince her. So, while we may not know exactly how many lives cats have, it is clear that they are tougher than most animals and have a better chance of surviving even the most dangerous situations. William Shakespeare also references nine lives in his 1597 tragedy Romeo and Juliet, appearing in Act 3, Scene 1 during a fight between Tybalt and Mercutio. The article, written by one of the shelters volunteers, is called How One Cat Lovers Feline Craziness Shines Through. Its a great read for anyone who loves cats, and its also a good reminder that even the most dedicated cat people have their moments of feline-induced craziness. Have you ever encountered this behavior from your cat? [6] Is that because they can survive anything, or does this attribution not match reality? Of all the cat myths and misconceptions out there, one of the most persistent is that cats have lives to spare. So, do cats have nine lives? So, while science cant prove that cats have nine lives, it can certainly explain why the myth has existed for so long! "Mercutio: "Good king of cats, nothing but one of your ninelives" Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet[Photography by @eMCT] pic.twitter.com/RqSSyd3mf1, Kelsey says the saying has endured because of our connection to felines: "We love cats and want them to be mystical and all powering. Dammit Sabrina I told you to stay off reddit. We like to think they would always be there for us since they have nine lives, This position is relatively rare and is often seen in cats who are very relaxed and comfortable in their environment. [1], In Islamic tradition, cats are admired for their cleanliness. Find and follow Christine on Instagram and Twitter @brovelliobrien, Select Your Region (opens a modal dialog), 2021 Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. As used herein, denotes registered trademark status in the U.S. only; registration status in other geographies may be different. 2023 Cliverse Media Ltd. Be the first to get our latest updates, insider videos, cat health resources, and more. These 7 Signs Will Help You Find Out, Eyelid Agenesis In Cats: Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment. No, cats do not actually have nine lives. Pisces (February 19 March 20): The Pisces cat is the true dreamer. Does a cat have 9 lives? This is a question that has been asked by many people over the years, and it is one that does not have a definitive answer. CAT CRYING OUTSIDE MY HOUSE SUPERSTITION AND 5 MORE! It is essential to take good care of your cat, keep them safe from harm, and provide them with proper nutrition and medical care to ensure they live a healthy and happy life. DO CATS BITE THEIR NAILS? here are a few proverbs and sayings related to the belief that cats have nine lives: Its worth noting that while these proverbs and sayings are often used in popular culture, they are not based on any factual evidence, and cats only have one life, just like any other animal. And it was a cat who became one of the first media-driven animal celebrities. The educational cat health content on Cats.com is written by or reviewed by our team of veterinary experts to ensure that its in line with the latest evidence-based veterinary information and health guidelines. Theyre always striving for perfection and theyre always looking for ways to improve. Pet cats were mummified and buried. [7], Many Muslims believe that Muezza (or Muizza; Arabic: ) was Muhammad's favorite cat. In fact, the Egyptians were so enamored with their feline friends that when a cat died, the entire household would shave off their eyebrows as a sign of mourning. Do they real have nine lives? Cats Belong To A Very Special Family They Have The Power Of Lions, Tigers, And Cheetahs In Their Soul. Bastet had the ability to go back and forth between her human and cat forms, which is speculated to be the origin of the idea that cats have multiple lives. By now, most of you know that I am a bit of a cat lady. Do cats have nine lives or seven based on popular belief? What does the Bible say about the black horse? She'll get exercise and you won't get a ruined staircase. [7] Muhammad ibn al Uthaymeen, a 20th-century Saudi Arabian Sunni imam, preached: If there are too many cats and they are a nuisance, and if the operation will not harm them, then there is nothing wrong with it, because this is better than killing them after they have been created. How many lives do cats have? Theyre also very affectionate and they love to cuddle. Christ died on the ninth hour of the day. They are thought to be ritually clean, and are thus allowed to enter homes[1] and even mosques, including Masjid al-Haram. So, while we cant say for sure that cats have nine lives, we can say that they are definitely capable of cheating death! There are a few benefits to believing that cats have 9 souls. One theory is that the belief originated with the ancient Egyptians, who revered cats as gods. Plus, they get up to so much mischief we want the nine lives saying to be true!". In Islam, cats are considered to be clean animals and are thus generally well-respected. Is it true, or is it just fiction? The ancient Egyptians, for example, worshipped cats and believed they had magical powers. It crops up in a stitch in time saves nine.". Save my name & email in this browser for the next Dispelling the Myth of Nine Lives For one, cats are not described as having nine lives in all cultures. Instead, these glands are located on their paw pads and their noses, which means sweat isn't a major contribution to a dog's bad smell. Tybalt: "What wouldst thou have with me? The myth of cats having nine lives may have come from Ancient Egypt. Virgo (August 23 September 22): The Virgo cat is the true perfectionist. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays.". This position is often seen in younger cats who are full of energy. Cats can twist their bodies mid-air and land on their feet, thanks to their flexible spine and inner ear. Cats started living alongside humans in the Near East during the Neolithic period, around 10,000 years ago. In Japan, cats are also seen as lucky creatures. Christian is the Editor-in-Chief of Excited Cats and one of its original and primary contributors. Theyre also very passionate and they can be quite stubborn. They are confident and like to be in control. Nevertheless, I still wanted a cat, and desperately needed my mothers approval, so she could allow me to buy a cat from a reputable source, without trying to acquire one clandestinely on the internet. The idea cats have nine lives may have endured because of their incredible agility. Hi, Im Amanda. Theyre also quite reserved and they can be quite stubborn. In other cases, the number nine has beenassociated with luck or good fortune. notachadbro 3 yr. ago. Dorkycats.com is monetized through the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees. While in most countries the cat is said to have nine lives, in Arab and Turkish proverbs poor puss has a mere seven lucky lives (something that was then inherited by countries that were invaded by Muslims at some point, like Spain) and in Russia, is said to survive nine deaths (ergo, ten lives). Theyre always doing their own thing and theyre never afraid to be different. The Egyptians saw their feline friends as divine creatures with supernatural powers. They are curious and like to explore their surroundings. There is a way of saying that cats have nine lives in many cultures. Some cats may only have seven lives, while others may have nine or more. Cats can pull off the most incredible stunts ever to make you wonder if they have extra senses or special powers. Taurus (April 20 May 20): The Taurus cat is a true foodie. However, the best way to ensure your cats longevity is by providing them with a safe environment and regular checkups from your veterinarian. Although not meant in super seriousness, the proverb tells that: "A cat has nine lives. Here is the truth about cats. One possibility is thatcats have better reflexesthan other animals, which helps them escape dangerous situations. Learn more. Whatever the origin of the belief, there is no scientific evidence to support it. One belief about cats is that they have nine lives. The relationship between human and cat became beneficial for both specieshumans were providing food for the cats, and cats were stopping rodents from raiding human food stores. is a question that has long perplexed cat lovers and scientists alike. 6. r/Showerthoughts. When a saying gets to be over 400 years old, it's usually very difficult to track its exact origin. Can you go to the beach with tattoos in Japan? For example, they believed it took nine days to fall from heaven to Earth. I do not hide that the thought has crossed my mind here and there; somethings that cats do at times make you really think they are out to get you. In many countries, they are believed to have nine lives, but in Italy, Germany, Greece, Brazil, and some Spanish-speaking regions, they are said to have seven lives, while in Turkish and Arabic traditions, the number of lives is six. In certain regions of Spain it is believed that cats have seven lives, for example. What happens when blood sugar gets too high. Do cats have 9 lives? So, do cats really have seven lives? But why was it associated with cats and not any other animal or pet? It has been suggested that the idea of cats having nine lives has its roots in Ancient Egypt. Read more here. 7+ REVEALING SIGNSContinue, Can a cat be evil? Even going way back to the 1st century when they were thrown from towers, cats have had a habit of cheating death. The Egyptian god Atum (also called Atum-Ra) was thought to take the feline form when visiting the underworld. Inevitably, it took me a while. The domestic cat is a revered animal in Islam. However, there is no denying that cats are amazing creatures that have the ability to heal quickly and survive falls from great heights. She is just like any of my 17-year-old friends parents she is spirited, sparky, generous and can be feisty when she needs to be. Cats who sleep in this position often have a regal air about them and enjoy being the center of attention. As with most oral storytelling, there is no evidence of when or where this famous English quotation was first documented. This educational content is not veterinary advice and does not replace consultation with a qualified veterinarian. I love their intelligence, inquisitiveness and how unassailable they seem. Here are the benefits of cats in Islam: 1. The nine lives of cats have been a subject of fascination for centuries. In the end, it only took a couple of weeks of telling my mother how seraphic and spiritual cats are in Islam for her to fall in love with the idea. In addition, cats earned the reputation of having nine lives because of their fast reflexes and ability to survive almost anything. Another theory is that cats are able to regenerate their cells at a faster rate than other animals. 10 REMARKABLE THINGS ABOUT CATS. ster Cat is for cat owners and lovers. Their impressive jumping skills are due to the muscle mass and the length of their hind legs. The myth is attributed to the natural suppleness, and swiftness cats exhibit to escape life-threatening situations. For thousands of years, people have been captivated by cats. The proverb that started it all states: "A cat has nine lives. According to statistics from the Pet Food Manufacturers Association, there are now 34m pets in the UK including 12m cats and 12m dogs, along with 3.2m small mammals, such as guinea pigs and hamsters, 3m birds and 1.5m reptiles. They were associated with the goddess Bastet, who was often depicted with the head of a cat. Cats also have an extra flexible spine that allows them to move their bodies fast and in the most unique positions. For example, in some Native American cultures, the number nine is considered a lucky number. It reflects a cats natural instinct to curl up in a tight space to stay warm and protected. Without an umbilical cord, a belly button cannot be created. However, cats are known for their agility and dexterity, which may explain how they are often able to survive falls and other accidents that would be fatal for other animals. Their abilities to safely jump from high places and their tendencies to escape deleterious catastrophes could have led to people thinking they have multiple lives. In Islam, cats are viewed as holy animals. (I can relate! But its best to be on the safe side with thebest cat insurance plans. The belief that cats have multiple lives dates back thousands of years to Ancient Egypt, where cats were revered as gods. Your email address will not be published. As a result, cats with nine lives are often seen as bringing good fortune. Hill's Pet, How to Make Your Own DIY Cat Scratching Post, Removing Foul Smelling Cat Odors From Your Home, How One Cat Lover's Feline Craziness Shines Through. Do cats have 9 lives in Islam? This means that when he jumps or accidentally falls from high places, he is able to twist his body around so as to land right on his feet. In this way, they can slow down the fall. One New York cat is known to have survived a fall of 32 stories. Have you ever wondered if cats really have nine lives? Cats cant die and come back right after. Libra (September 23 October 22): The Libra cat is the true diplomat. While there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that cats have seven lives, there are a few theories that could explain where the idea originated from. In many cultures, seven is associated with good luck, so it makes sense that cats, which are often considered to be lucky animals, would be said to have seven lives. Have you experienced the funny and maybe creepy experience of your cat suddenly jumping up, running away, or even becoming puffy with all his fur standing straight? Energetic and tormenting as a teenager, hes also slender, cute and as vulnerable as a baby, which I think appeals to my mother. Unlike dogs, cats have been revered for centuries in Muslim culture. 119. I don't care who dies in a movie as long as the dog lives? As a result, cats with nine lives are often seen as bringing good fortune. She also talks about how shes had to learn to be more patient with her cats, and how shes come to appreciate the quirks that make each of them unique. In Arabic culture, cats have seven lives, and in some Spanish-speaking nations, the poor kitties only have six lives. It is highly amusing when I remind my mother how she used to feel about cats: Qais with his mother Shabnam and Milo. So, what does your cats zodiac sign say about their personality? For the scratching post itself, youll need a sturdy piece of wood (at least 2 feet tall), a piece of sisal rope, and some carpet or fabric. Whatever the reason, it is clear that cats are special creatures with an ability to survive against the odds. Both cats and dogs can pick up each other's behaviors, and their humans, too. Keep on reading to find out. Dogs have yet to make this reputation. As he began to dress he discovered that Muezza was sleeping on the sleeve of his prayer robe. This might change how we interact with them because we may be afraid they will see ghosts or spirits around us and tell them what we are doing. They are also extremely quick at being able to react when danger presents itself.". In the end, there was only one approach that I knew could work. ats are perfect to most people, but not to my 42-year-old mother. She cooks arguably the best chicken parmesan in the world, and also has impeccable taste in Bollywood music. Mercutio: Good King of Cats, I want to take one of your nine lives. Next, wrap the sisal rope around the post, stapling it to the wood as you go. Youll also need a drill, saw, and other basic tools. The truth is, no one really knows for sure, but there is evidence to suggest that cats are resilient creatures that may have a few more lives than the average animal. The number nine has significance to many early cultures. Why don't dogs and cats have belly buttons? It has been suggested that the idea of cats having nine lives has its roots in Ancient Egypt. The number was also considered holy, as it was the last digit in the Greek numerical system. The myth that cats have multiple lives exists in many cultures across the world, but it is not always nine lives. As a result, you may take fewer things for granted and be more present in your life. Additionally, since time immemorial, cats have been feared for being magical. One theory is that cats are very agile and can survive falls from high places, which might have led people to believe they have multiple lives. Atum-Ra was . Others believe that it is because they are able to see in the dark and avoid danger. Lastly, believing that cats have 9 lives can also help people to be more compassionate towards others. In China, the number nine is considered to be lucky. The same is true in some Asian cultures. But there is one annoying trait that makes her different from the other mothers she unequivocally loathes all animals, unless they are in a palatable format, like her chicken parmesan. In complete contrast, I am an ailurophile. It helps that he has beautiful green eyes and the softest fur, too. While the origin of this myth may remain a mystery, science has revealed that cats are incredibly resilient creatures capable of escaping danger and surviving situations where other animals might not. Many superstitions and fantastic stories from many centuries ago surround cats. The Prophet himself was a great cat-lover Muezza was the name of his favourite cat. However, unlike humans, cats have more vertebrae. These are just a few of the reasons why scientists are exploring. In other countries and cultures, the number of lives a cat is said to have differs. Cat meaning and symbolism includes elegance, curiosity, independence, protection, magic, and other notable qualities. But where did this idea come from? Egyptians believed that cats were reincarnated six times, which may have led to the belief that they have six lives. WHY DOES MY CAT CHECK IF I AM BREATHING? Its even permissible to eat from the same bowl that a cat has eaten from. Learn how getting rid of cat odors in carpets and fabrics is key to getting your house to smell fresh and clean.