Once everything is done, its time to shoot the hoops and enjoy playing with your workmates. Its very strong and hardens very fast. Now, drill the holes in the backboard according to the accurate size of the bolt. Well, this one is modern for backboards. Sandbags, cinder blocks, or dumbbells work great for this. Out of all backboard materials, wood is actually the best one you can use! Ideal for exterior applications. For every layer I apply, I take care to apply it on the edges too. I filled in all the holes and cracks on both faces of the backboard. Providing high quality, USA made basketball back boards for home and institutional use. Everfit Pro Portable Basketball Stand System Hoop Height Adjustable Net Ring BK (0) $83.95. Secure the nuts and bolts from the old board. Its stronger than standard putty. But the reused panel has to be sanded, to remove all debris left and flatten the uneven parts (especially around holes). 7 Attach a net to the basketball rim (optional). Sand the edges of the backboard so both panels are smooth and continuous. After the holes have been drilled, grab a friend and have her help support the backboard while you screw . It can last for long periods of time with regular use. Once youre done, your hoop and court will be like new and you can start playing again and hopefully with a better backboard! Shaquille ONeil broke two backboards against the Phoenix Suns and the New Jersey Nets, now known as the Brooklyn Nets. Easy Homemade Vanilla Extract (Enormous Money Saved), DIY Hanging Wallpaper (The Permanent Kind! Aluminum backboards are made of durable material and are budget-friendly. Your homemade basketball backboard is ready to go! . The hassle-free benefits of the tempered glasses that last for years is really worth the money. If you found this helpful, help us out by sharing this post! X. Fiberglass backboards suffer from low rebound performance, much like steel, and durability is below par. Backboard material (Acrylic or whatever you selected) Power drill Putty knife Wrenches and socket set Construction adhesive Drill bit Screws Screwdrivers Masking Tape (if you plan to paint your backboard) Sandbags or any other type of weight for added stability Steps to Replace Backboard Glass How to Do It. Is mounting brackets have changed sizes in the last ten years. They are available in 3 different designs: the backboard is the most fundamental part of any basketball system, portable or not. This is a great DIY project that you can do with a friend or family member and you should be able to complete it in a weekend or even 1 day if you have some basic fix it skills. Now, carefully sand the edges of the backboard, so that the plywood panel and reclaimed wood become smooth. Many claims that wooden basketball backboards are basic. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. That said, before we make any homemade basketball backboard plans, it is also important for you to know what tools, and accessories you will need for the project. A regulation size backboard can be inexpensive to make, but does require the . The rebound performance is mediocre because of its extra vibration. Please use caution! I took a lot of pictures to manage capturing the ball as I did . Spalding Shatter-Proof Polycarbonate Backboard & Rim Combo 4.6 (118) $18999 FREE delivery Wed, Mar 8 More Buying Choices $170.77 (8 used & new offers) Amazon's Choice Besides, it is a perfect item for those who have a tight budget. Make sure not to buy any backboard what you see from the outside. Start changing your life today! If the hoop is not already on its' side from being knocked down, get your helper (s) to help you lay it on the ground so you can work on it. So, if you are comfortable spending a considerable amount of money, you can buy the tempered glass backboard for your basketball hoops. follow the instructions for your adhesive to let it dry the proper amount of time. How old is your system? Acrylic is made from plastic materials that offer durability better than tempered glass and last 15 to 20 years. A plywood backboard would need a good coat of paint to protect it from weather conditions. Its 85 per cent medium-rebound performance rating is a tad less than tempered glass, but its not significant, and its lower price makes it popular among basketeers on a budget. 6. But these basic b-ball boards are worth the shot. Use your socket set and wrenches to carefully remove. Use a pencil and a large ruler to mark the homemade basketball backboard dimensions on a 3/4 thick plywood. There are lots of fundamental parts of a portable basketball system. In a small driveway, a too-large backboard can overwhelm the space, or look out of . Once you have laid your basketball hoop, you have to now unscrew the rim from your old backboard. SHOP NOW. Play Like the Pros For something equivalent to 25 euros, the effort to obtain something similar was too much. The 60 inches backboard is 36 inches high, and the 72-inch backboard is 42 inches high. Step 1: Lay the basketball goal on its side. You can form your backboard work team composed of relatives and friends and have fun while working. $1,256.00. I used painter tape to make the lines as straight as possible. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. If you use high-quality weather protection paint on it, the wooden basketball backboards can be used outdoors as well. In a case like this, you have to use a level to get the rim level with the horizon. Start with flaming the damaged base area by moving the heat gun over it. Carefully cut them without breaking any of the panels. Spread construction adhesive on the front of the frame. Dont forget to use the construction adhesive and long screws, that can hold the backboard firmly in its place. As a result, you will get long-lasting support from it. Can You Make Your Own Basketball Backboard? Start by raising the goal to its highest point so its at its most unstable position. Attach the rim to the backboard using whatever hardware works for your rim, going through the backboard and the 12 inch 2 x 8. Use nuts, bolts, lock washers, and screws to secure the backboard on the bracket. Ask the repair team to help you lay the backboard on the ground so you can work on the replacement board. It will allow you to screw the backboard with your basketball hoop. Once you finish cutting the wood, apply glue, use clamps to secure the construction, and then screw the plywood panels together. No need to worry though; it just adds one more step. Spalding's Hybrid basketball hoop is solidly built and easy to set up, with acrylic backboards (choice of 54" or 60") and a unique system using sand and water to weigh down the base. Your email address will not be published. To make an educated decision about purchasing the best portable basketball hoop for your households requirements, you would need to invest hours in looking into the different components. So I filled in these holes using putty. You will not find anything comparable on the market. Use screws to adjust the backboard against the bracket holes. May 28, 2013 - Plexiglass is a weather resistant alternative to traditional plywood basketball backboards. Your email address will not be published. And the answer is YES! If you want something more practical and economical, the Lifetime 71526 Basketball Backboard and Rim Combo is a 54-inch backboard that costs around $200 online. Where to Buy Authentic NBA Jerseys Online? of weight) and drill four holes into the wall or whatever area you've chosen to mount the basketball backboard. Once the glue is dry and both plywood panels and reclaimed wood are screwed together, its time to add some beauty to it. After tracing all the lines with painter tape, I used a fine brush and bright yellow paint to draw them. Mark on both the 4"X4" above and below the backboard. Try using it from the backside to avoid unpleasant looking nuts and bolts from the front. If your using plywood, you need to put a good coat of paint or sealer to seal the wood and protect it from the elements. But it is far better than polycarbonate. Amazon's Choice Spalding Shatter-Proof Polycarbonate Backboard & Rim Combo 4.6 (118) $17999 FREE delivery Sun, Mar 5 Or fastest delivery Fri, Mar 3 More Buying Choices $167.32 (8 used & new offers) You want the new backboard material to be the same dimensions ( length and width ) of the original. Hooption.comis a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. to remove the excess putty, as its very difficult to fill in the holes and obtain a perfectly smooth surface when applying it. I got a goal from academy 4 years ago in 6th grade. It is not too good as compared to tempered glass or acrylic backboards. So, your step-by-step guide will help me. Now cut the pressure-treated lumber piece of reclaimed wood into your desired size. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Dunk or Three is a community hub created to help basketball fans learn and improve. Acrylic and polycarbonate backboards are made from plastic materials, making durability a central focus. If you are using plywood, you will need some wood screws. Do you want to learn how to build a basketball backboard at home? I then increased the grit gradually up to 120, so the final surface is smooth. Test the stability by pushing on it from all sides. More importantly, the holes in the backboard for connecting it to the pole werent in a great position to make things as sturdy as I would want. Glass Crank System with 4 in. $50.00 coupon applied at checkout Save $50.00 with coupon. He was the first player to break a backboard from a regular throw wearing a Boston Celtics jersey. Any trace of cement can easily deflect or jam your saw. If you have questions about hoops, accessories, or anything basketball-related, feel free to contact me. It does not store any personal data. If you're shopping for an option that meets NCAA and high school specifications, we have you covered. However, for the more exceptional replacement backboards out on the marketplace, they can cost just as much money as a portable basketball hoop. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Asking Moms: How Do You Mother with Chronic Pain or Longterm Illness? Basketball Equipment. Thats it; you have successfully replaced the backboard of your basketball hoop. See more ideas about basketball hoop, basketball backboards, basketball. You can see the finished product in the photo below. Instead of wasting your valuable money or making another huge investment, spend a couple of minutes to read this entire article. If youre considering building a basketball system for outdoor play, there is a wide array of backboard options. Use the sandbags or whatever else you have for weight to ensure the hoop is stable. With your backboard ready to go, you can attach it to your backboard to get the full driveway basketball experience. Ask your teammates to help set the backboard before the glue dries. It will add a perfect finishing touch to your backboard at the end. Whether it is cold or hot, this durable material can handle all of them. No matter what type of plywood you are using, it is a good advice to apply filler on the edges too, since there are always small pores that will result in bad looking paint. The price is pocket friendly. Pressure-treated lumber pieces or reclaimed wood, Different sizes of galvanized hardware for attaching pole and rim. Cut an additional 2 x 8 piece 12 inches long. Using 2-3 strong shims beneath must suffice to stabilize and level it. However, if you have faced this, dont make any hasty decisions. 2023 Dunk or Three. The plywood can be painted as needed or desired. It is a cost-effective backboard material that offers almost as much performance as tempered glass while being more durable. No need to worry, this is a very common problem that can be fixed without replacing the whole basketball goal. I also got to paint it a color my wife and daughter chose so that made the project lots of fun. Use your screwdriver or power drill to detach the damaged board from the frame. Then I drilled holes through the 2 x 8 and attached it to the bracket using bolts, nuts, and lock washers. Now, caulk all the remaining seams and screw holes for a perfect seamless look. Then, blowout the fluid into the holes so that the patch is added to the damaged spot. There are two reasons for doing this: I wiped the plywood panel with a soft cloth to remove all the dust remaining after sanding. Make sure the holes are even. Before you spend your hard-earned dollars, check out the following backboard materials available in the market: Tempered glass is the priciest material for backboards. Thanks! We first wanted to make the backboard 180 cm wide by 105 cm high. For example, if its tilting forward, the location shims under the front of the base. In this case, if you receive your backboard and the bracket holes/size does not match up to your new backboard, simply contact Lifetime Products directly at 1-800-225-3865. Has adjustable height capacity of up to 2.4m to 3.05m to suit different height levels. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. [Read More] Our Price: $269.99 [ Add to Cart ] Spalding Basketball Backboard and Rim Combo . No need to hire any professionals; your friend can help you with this. By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. 4. To fully enjoy your hoop, you need to have adequate playing space that can accommodate the size of your hoop and the number of people playing on it. Once your hoop is stable and safe, start using it again and be sure to have lots of fun. Start changing your life today! ONETWOFIT Kids/Teenagers Basketball System,Adjustable Height 44.5 In - 80.7 In 3.7ft - 6.7ft Portable Impact Backboard Outdoor Basketball Hoop with 26.7 In PE Backboard for Youth Kids/Junior. This might occur due to the falling through accidents or for bad weather, or there are numerous eventualities. Pole The Lifetime Crank-Adjust Bolt-Down basketball The Lifetime Crank-Adjust Bolt-Down basketball system features a 54 in. The driveway basketball court I used for several years sloped seriously downhill. AVAILABLE NOW: It was very flimsy anyway and did not have very good banking action so this was my chance to upgrade my hoop by adding a quality homemade backboard at a very low cost. Since moving into our house a few years ago, one of the things we wanted to do was replace the old busted up basketball hoop we inherited from the previous owners. Looks great! Fiberglass backboards suffer from low rebound performance, much like steel, and durability is below par. Aluminum backboards wobble more than steel, have low bounce performance, and are noisy. If you are using plywood, secure the backboard by using a drill or screwdriver to attach the wood screws through the holes in the back of the backboard frame and into the backboard. When replacing the backboard of your basketball hoop, the mounting brackets are the thing that requires additional attention. Each of them is specifically designed for a specific purpose. Measure what is left of your existing backboard or the frame where the backboard is attached. Here are the details about the outdoor basketball backboard replacement. The tempered glass fits serious players for excellent results, acrylic works best for family fun, and a DIY basketball backboard made of wood for those who want to save money. This extraordinary innovation is patent-pending and is offered exclusively in our online shop. This will ensure an exact fit of the mounting brackets. A small backboard fits the need of young tykes learning the ropes of the game. After covering some of the requirements, you are ready to choose the material for your basketball backboard. Heat is the hardest but most effective method to patch a basketball backboard. An extremely efficient and durable basketball hoop that will not shatter or break. Required fields are marked *. Ordering polycarbonate to make a replacement basketball backboard You can order polycarbonate in a range of different colours, thicknesses and dimensions from our webshop. If you are unsure about the model number, we suggest holding your purchase until you are assured of the exact model number. It can last for long periods of time with regular use. After the first layer dried (pretty fast, as it was a water based paint), I lightly sanded using 280 grit sandpaper and wiped the surface with a cloth again. Their customer service line can actually get you a replacement left and right Y-bracket so you have up-to-date parts. Why Is There A Net On The Basketball Hoop? So, we chose the next widely available size, 120 cm wide by 90 cm high (many online shops offer this size). These few simple steps will help you make a backboard with little trouble at a cost that wont hurt your pocket. A DIYer should always wear protective goggles and practice caution when preparing the basketball backboard. The durability of steel is the same as polycarbonate and acrylic. A homemade basketball backboard is possible with wood only and now you know exactly how to make one. By cleaning concrete leftovers on the board (and anything else thats on the board, as well), its easier to check again if there arent any screws or nails remaining in the panel. Besides, it is also sturdier than most other materials. Home Learn & Improve How to Replace Basketball Backboard. Therefore, a DIY (Do It Yourself) project is what you need. For example, the shape we need for a replacement Lifetime backboard to match is round; 3.5 inches in diameter. Posted on 3/4/13 at 7:16 pm. Not sure of bounce characteristics but would be more solid than the fiberglass version. While dunking the ball can trigger more of an experience, banking the ball offers more consistent points, according to author Rob Willemse, writing in Best Sweet Spots on the Backboard.. Teens who want to improve their drives to the hoop or their bank shots will benefit from the rebound space of medium-sized backboards. Add To Cart. Tempered Glass backboard with fade-resistant graphics and a powder-coated steel frame, giving you the performance and look of a pro-style game. HOME. The online leader in replacement basketball backboard sales and expertise. Then, I used a jigsaw to cut all corners round. Then, on the side of the 2 x 8 opposite the bracket, I used a spade bit to make recesses where the heads of the bolts could sink under the surface of the 2 x 8. Now, it is time to share with you the process of replacing your backboard. What Size Basketball Backboard Do You Need? In this case, you may ask for a professionals help because if you somehow mess with the size, you may have to spend some additional money. The policy size of an NBA basketball backboard is 42 x 72. Aluminum backboards wobble more than steel, have low bounce performance, and are noisy. The first and foremost step is to cut the plywood panels in the sizes you desire for your backboard. 6. 60" backboard (1530mm x 920mm) 10mm tempered glass backboard Main pole: 125mm x 125mm Span - pole to backboard: 800mm Powder Coated Steel Base plate with rio bar included Dunkable Spring Ring Backboard and Pole Padding included Delivery and Installation available. Dear Basketball is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. Now, clamp the backboard on the backboard at an appropriate height. Keep the pieces of the old backboard as a template for the new backboard. The standard size of a basketball backboard is 72 inches (182.9 cm) in width and 48 inches (121.9 cm) in height used by professional and amateur leagues. Arduino (#225393237945) k***7 (492) - Feedback left by buyer k***7 . As it is not designed to take a heavier backboard, you shouldnt select such backboards for your portable hoop. Now, clamp the backboard on the backboard at an appropriate height. Sand all corners to round them slightly. The Spalding system may differ from one another. Opens in a new tab. Im Rob Willemse, and I am a basketball lover one of the main reasons to start a champs hoops blog is to share my basketball passion and extensive knowledge with anyone who wants to improve their Basketball Skills, National Basketball Association guidelines. Basketball; 54" Acrylic Replacement Backboard (Model 68564 & 88564) . Masking Tape (if you want to paint lines on your backboard). First of all, you have to choose the right backboard material. Anyway, the following are the steps that I used to replace my backboard. View Details. Marketplace. NBA regulation. I got a really nice basketball hoop from craigslist. 1-48 of 307 results for "basketball backboard replacement" RESULTS Price and other details may vary based on product size and color. We have all your lighting needs. You can make make a net out of string, or even out of twisted tape. The brand-new hoops have numerous mechanisms in the area to prevent them from getting taken down, consisting of a lot more pieces that can just tear away into smaller-sized pieces as opposed to bringing the whole backboard down. It appears I have a couple of options: I can buy just . So enjoy the project and have fun playing the b-ball on your new backboard . If you want to paint the lines on your backboard, you will need some masking tape. Attach one board to the back of the backboard. View Details. Or things will get more complicated for you. We hope you enjoyed this post! We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. The measurements should match the regulation size of 72 inches (182.9 cm) in width and 48 inches (121.9 cm) in height. If you wish to go inexpensive, but do not care as much about efficiency, then you can find what youre searching for. Backboard: A basketball hoop's backboard is a big deal. Rims are made from steel and are 18 in size. Basketball Backboards Number of Products to Show View Sort Products By Sort Free postage. As an Amazon Associate, we earn affiliate commissions from qualifying purchases. Cut (1) 2 x 8 piece so the length is the same as the width of the backboard. Make sure the backboard is centered on the 4"X4" by lining up all the marks. Product Details. This will depend on the competition standard, as well as environmental conditions. 4 Ways to Fix a Basketball Hoop Base Solution #1: Use caulk If you do have a 44'' backboard size basketball hoop or smaller than that you can use fiberglass reinforced caulk to fix a broken or cracked base Things you'll need: Rapidly setting fiberglass-reinforced caulk Damp cloth Rubbing alcohol Steps: That said, lets make you a b-ball board already! I usually dont apply three layers. But if you, do it yourself, the cost incurred would be of materials used, only. However, if your outdoor space is small, you can go for 60 inches long and 44 inches wide backboard. 54 in. Call or chat with us now for help in selecting the perfect basketball backboard. If you dont pay attention to this your hoop is likely to tip over causing damage and possible injury so PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS AND USE CAUTION! Hang the completed basket to a wall or door. That painted square focused above the hoop on a basketball backboard is more than design. It offers decent bounce-off backboards. 8. Tempered glass is less durable than acrylic or polycarbonate, as demonstrated by the NBA breakers of backboards, but innovation made it sturdier and safe. Drill six to eight 2-inch wood screws through the face of the backboard into the 2-by-4 board. We carefully removed all of them, before cutting the board to size. Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer -2023 Champshoops.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If using plywood, I would suggest using inch thick or less plywood. Sand faces of backboard. If you own a power saw and are experienced at using it, you can cut this yourself but please use caution. Awesome! The metal material makes steel backboards noisy from the balls impact and has low bounce and rebound performance. We didnt want a panel with simple straight corners. Made with a UV-resistant, tough steel frame and a heavy-duty base for longevity and added durability. 2. Set aside the nuts and bolts. The NBA league use tempered glass and follow the regulation size of a backboard. ITS BEEN REALLY FUN to shoot around and our backyard looks much more normal with something attached to that pole. It will help you to hold the base at a stable position at the time of attaching the new backboard. Everfit Pro Portable Basketball Stand System Hoop Height Adjustable Net Ring (1) $86.95. First Team 36" x 60" Framed Acrylic Basketball Backboard with H-Frame. One of the most common questions soon the be homemade bboard owners ask is can you make a backboard out of wood? Caulk all seams and screw holes on the backboard. This will determine the size of your new backboard material. Hook 54" Breakaway Acrylic Basketball Backboard (1) $399. Family members or friends will gladly assist you with this fun DIY basketball backboard replacement project done in a day with these steps. It is that polycarbonate is not good for rebounding techniques. He has been a huge basketball fan for decades, watching thousands of basketball games through the years to learn the ins and outs of the game.