By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Just in case anyone out there is still crying hate speech.). U.C.L.A.s vice chancellor for student affairs, Janina Montero, said in a statement that campus officials were appalled and offended by the sentiments expressed in the video, but that it did not seek to harm or threaten a specific person or group. In response, an Asian-American named Jimmy Wong posted a satirical love song called Ching Chong Asians in the Library on YT, which also went viral. Cha-ching! Two other Los Angeles-area universities have grappled recently with similar issues. Jimmy Wong. [2][4] In 2014, Wallace took over running Meet the Press during a period of poor ratings with former anchor David Gregory. Trust us, the story is well worth checking out, as Dave Pell did over at the All Tech Considered blog earlier this week. alexandra wallace ucla where is she now. In the video rant, Wallace started off by saying said her complaints aren't directed at any individual and people shouldn't take offence, but 'the problem is these hordes of Asian people that UCLA . You took it down two days later, but it went viral anyway. mermaid sightings in ireland; is color optimizing creme the same as developer; harley davidson 1584 cc motor; what experiment did stan have in mind answers While at NBC News, she became the first woman to be in charge of the Today Show in November 2012. It was racist. This woman expressed her opinion, an offensive opinion to be sure, but did not advocate violence or harass anyone, he said. To find an NPR station that broadcasts or streams the show, click here. Though the outrage was vitriolic Sunday evening, and Wallace even reported receiving death threats to the UC Police Department, all that anger quickly erupted into an absurd Internet carnival of dubstep remixes, hot bikini pics (if nothing else, who wouldn't enjoy a good rage-screw?) So out of misplaced desire to protect students from perhaps crass conversation, schools are overreacting and violating free speech, he said. For her part, Wallace has apologized, and is . Aceb00mbap & Kiam), Faggot Wallace, the creator of the "Asians in the . [7], "The problem is these hordes of Asian ppl UCLA accepts.." Working link to RACIST vid by @UCLA student Alexandra Wallace http://bit.ly/gOIvsY, DISGRASIAN (@disgrasian) March 14, 2011. [citation needed], Wallace's husband is a private school administrator in Manhattan; As of May2007[update], they had two children, a son and a daughter, together.[1]. March 18, 2011, 7:48 AM. "Alexandra is an amazing photographer and we were SO happy with our photos of our wedding. Welcome to fame you never wanted. UCLA's Asian Pacific Coalition, an organization representing the university's 24 Asian-American and Pacific Islander student groups, called for the university to discipline Wallace for using "hate speech" and violating the student code of conduct. The most notable excerpt is her coarse characterization of Asian speech as "OHHHHHHHHHHH CHING CHONG TING TONG LING LONG.. My mistake, however, has . I could write apology letters all day and night, but I know they wouldnt erase the video from your memory, nor would they act to reverse my inappropriate action. And so, Ching Chong Ling Long Gourmet Takeout was born. When expanded it provides a list of search options that will switch the search inputs to match the current selection. Wallace, the creator of the Asians in the Library video that went viral last Sunday, released a statement through a spokesman for the Wallace family. My mistake, however, has lead [sic] to the harassment of my family, the publishing of my personal information, death threats and being ostracized from an entire community," read the letter the Daily Bruin said was released through a spokesman for the Wallace family. Facebook. Wallace, the creator of the "Asians in the Library" video that went viral last Sunday, released a statement through a spokesman for the Wallace family. My mistake, however, has lead to the harassment of my family, the publishing of my personal information, death threats, and being ostracized from an entire community. As for you, Alexandra Wallace: We'd recommend you sign some deals, stat (girl-on-girl with Rebecca Black? Read More FOREVER STARTS NOW. Okay, so here at UCLA, it's finals week. Lyrics, Song Meanings, Videos, Full Albums & Bios: It Girl, Whoremoan, Zzz (feat. But we're so onto it. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers. Especially in the wake of the ongoing disaster in Japan, I would do anything to take back my insensitive words. While at NBC News, she became the first woman to be in charge of the Today Show in November 2012. His The Asians in the Library Song went viral. So, you guys are not the problem. In one humorous slap at Wallace, a young Asian American fashioned her words into a song. [2], In 2020, in her role as head of media and content for Verizon Media, Wallace took operational control of HuffPost after Lydia Polgreen's resignation as editor-in-chief. I look forward to working with her again soon! axel lab publications; los angeles car accident death today. OHHHHHHHHHH.". ", "The premise of the American university (and, I think, American self-government more broadly) is that people need to be free to express their views," Volokh wrote, adding that implementing that premise meant "boneheaded statements have to be as protected as more well-reasoned statements.". Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Alexandra Jorgensen Expand search. "New Producer at 'Nightly News' Seeks to Regain NBC Dominance", "Alex Wallace, One of NBC's Most Senior News Executives, Departs", "NBC Moves to Shake Up 'Today' Leadership", "Faces of Power: 80% Are White, Even as U.S. Becomes More Diverse", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Alexandra_Wallace&oldid=1134441493, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from May 2021, Articles containing potentially dated statements from May 2007, All articles containing potentially dated statements, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 18 January 2023, at 18:29. And then it's the same thing five minutes later. [emailprotected] 310-208-3335. How is this the same girl? It's genius, really. My mistake, however, has lead to the harassment of my family, the publishing of my personal information, death threats, and being ostracized from an entire community. The partnership came about when Rachel Lee, owner of The Palace, heard about UCLA Munchies, a service run by four students who delivered snacks like burritos and ramen to the dorms into the wee hours of the morning. Cat, fireplace, art/music/book/movie collection. In her video, posted a few days after the Japanese earthquake, she complained about hordes of Asians enrolling at UCLA and said they had interrupted her library studies with cellphone calls about the tragedy in Japan. March 15, 2011. UCLA student Alexandra Wallace posted a rant about Asian students using cell phones in the library to YouTube on March 13th, 2011. Victoria + Jon . On February 4th, 2012, The Economist[14] published an article titled "Making ting tong cool", which reported that while Wallace's video was still referenced as a joke at UCLA, increases in Chinese student enrollment were eroding negative Asian stereotypes on campus. FURNISHED 1b/1b in WeHo!Close to shops/Runyon/Sunset.Large closets, fully-equipped kitchen.In-unit patio;rooftop pool/gym/laundry;1 car space.323-406-3100. In light of all of the violence against the AAPI community, I tried Googling Alexandra Wallace to see whatever became of her, but I can't seem to find any updates. Cakes da Killa), Pplay (feat. 18, 2011 -- UCLA student Alexandra Wallace, whose viral video rant about Asians sparked outrage and a nationwide debate about whether her disparaging remarks were . Here's the short version: UCLA student Alexandra Wallace posted a three-minute video about Asian students at her school. She dropped out of school last Friday. "You know it's a library, like, we're trying to study, thanks!" [1] Wallace started her news career at CBS News's London bureau. accepts into our school every single year.. 10933 Rochester Ave Los Angeles, CA 90024 Amenities: Rooftop pool, intercom entry, onsite parking, On-site laundry, elevator, walk to UCLA, Westwood Village, gym Two-bedroom + Two bathroom Mgr ph#424-877-3817. 50. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. UCLA announced Friday that it would not discipline or further investigate the student who released a controversial online video in which she complained about Asian students behavior and mimicked an Asian language. By - July 3, 2022. Hello! Posted on . I swear every five minutes I will be -- okay, not five minutes, say like fifteen minutes -- I'll be in like deep into my studying, into my political science theories and arguments and all that stuff, getting it all down, like typing away furiously, blah blah, blah, and then all of a sudden when I'm about to like reach an epiphany Over here from somewhere, "Ooooh Ching Chong Ling Long Ting Tong, Ooohhhhh." According to the Sacramento Bee[5], Wallace was planning on making a video blog. March 17, 2011 at 3:05 a.m. UPDATE: Here is the UCLA Asian Pacific American Coalition's official response to Alexandra Wallace's rant: In Response to "Asians in the Library." UPDATE: The Daily Bruin has reportedly received a statement from Alexandra Wallace in which she apologized for posting the video:Clearly the original video posted by me was inappropriate. Larry Gordon was a higher education writer for the Los Angeles Times and covered issues affecting colleges and universities in California and around the nation. I could write apology letters all day and night, but I know they wouldnt erase the video from your memory, nor would they act to reverse my inappropriate action.. https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/us/20rant.html. The infamous Alexandra Wallace; Credit: Co-Ed Magazine, Ciel Spa aka @CielSpaBH located the SLS Hotel i, Welcoming over 100,000 people every year, what beg, The holiday season is a time of giving! hide caption. Jimmy Wong's music video response to Wallace was the first to reach one million views. Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. He has released a public apology in the school newspaper, but I'm sure he still has any future as stripper or Penthouse Pet comes off with all his written above . alexandra wallace ucla where is she now. Turn on desktop notifications for breaking stories about interest? At first, YouTube commenters condemned Wallace's Asians in the Library video as the biggest mistake of her life. Especially in the wake of the ongoing disaster in Japan, I would do anything to take back my insensitive words. She is the author of Ghosts in the Schoolyard: Racism and School Closings on Chicago's South Side as well as three other books. I am truly sorry for the hurtful words I said and the pain it caused to anyone who watched the video. suzette malveaux married; centros de mesa con flores artificiales; housing in naples, italy Before the young womans withdrawal statement, free speech experts had praised UCLAs decision not to discipline her and said other universities increasingly face such incidents in the Internet age. Anyone can read what you share. SpouseParentChildSiblingFamily memberOther, Sweet James has my permission to help provide a free police report. "Clearly the original video posted by me was inappropriate," she said in the statement. Alexandra Wallace. Today, All Things Considered host Melissa Block talked with Jimmy. It went viral. No products in the cart. Meanwhile, Alexandra started to get death threats. Especially in the wake of the ongoing disaster in Japan, I would do anything to take back my insensitive words. In a blog post Tuesday he said, "The speech is clearly constitutionally protected, as well as being moronic. UCLA's vice chancellor for student affairs, Janina Montero, said in a statement Friday that Alexandra Wallace's three-minute video did not violate the student code of conduct. and our Leave it up to digital-age dinosaur Dad to give it all away on his Facebook page. by | Jul 3, 2022 | school teachers friendly trust fund | 71st infantry division ww2 | Jul 3, 2022 | school teachers friendly trust fund | 71st infantry division ww2 (VIDEO).. "Ohhhh! He added that the university was "disappointed with some of the threatening and vitriolic language that has been used by some in response to the video. Organized by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and the Wallace . satirical love song called Ching Chong Asians in the Library. THREAD (RTs and shares pls)" Now that UCLA student Alexandra Wallace has confirmed that she did in fact put up the racist "Asians in the Library" YouTube video that caused such a fuss over the weekend, more and more students are raising the issue of what punishment if any she should face.