(Jeff Swinger / The Enquirer). Those stumbles coincided with Alaska's declining economic fortunes:low oil prices, a massive deficit and a recession. They averaged 4,619 fans per regular-season home game in 2013-14, when they seized the third Kelly Cup in franchise history. "You can't fault the ownership. 2023 Pacific District 19AA Champions! By You have entered an incorrect email address! Too may whiny turds these days. "It's a great day to be a Seawolf," UAA chancellor Sean Parnell said Tuesday when announcing the team would return to the ice for the 2022-23 season. Alumni MatchUAA hockey alumni Brian Kraft donated $25,000 and challenges others to match his donation. This website uses cookies to ensure we provide you the best user experience and deliver content specific to you. * 21+ (19+ CA-ONT) (18+ NH/WY). Non-Conference Game at Toscano Forum, Storrs, Conn. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Oct 15 - 17, 2021 . UConn improves to 18-10-3 on the season and 6-2-3 in overtime. The state of Alaska is in a terrible situation financially. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and couldlook out for much more of your respective exciting content.Ensure that you update this again soon. Call 1-800-GAMBLER. But with Thursday's announcement, an era is all but over. Sucks for college hockey overall. Although the cancellation impacts the upcoming season, it does not spell the end of the UAA Hockey program, reads the release. Check it out. "When this group bought this team out of bankruptcy, they did amazing things. Whats up very nice web site!! Robertson is working to keep the WCHA a viable conference past this season but will need at least four programs to join to get to six members, the number needed for a league to receive an automatic NCAA tournament bid. Two players -- scoring machine Steve MacSwain and adult league legend Jimmy Reese -- are among those who will be honored at a 1 p.m. ceremony at Megan's Room (6591 A Street). Lees ons privacybeleid en cookiebeleid voor meer informatie over hoe we uw persoonsgegevens gebruiken. The state's only professional sports franchise, a three-time winner of the ECHL's Kelly Cup, announced Thursday morning. He will be out of a job at season's end, as will goaltending coach Gerald Coleman, who backstopped the Aces to Kelly Cups in 2014 and 2011, and longtime equipment manager Mike Burkhead and trainer Scott McLay. Tournament Bracket/Info Schachle and McPheters are local returners as well as incoming Schachle, Weekes and Krajnik. Those highlights came during a 10-season span in which the Aces seven times reached at least the conference finals, the league's semifinals. The city and SMG prior to the 2015-16 season renegotiated the team's lease at Sullivan to include more favorable terms for the Aces, including an increase in their cut of gross concession receipts to 40 percent from 35 percent. They couldnt find one kid from the state? Crap calming down there in Mass or ramping back up? on social. Flyers GM: Red Wings nixed van Riemsdyk trade, Avs' Makar OK'd to return 2nd time from protocol, Wild acquire defenseman Klingberg from Ducks, Sabres add size up front, get Greenway from Wild, Penguins acquire defenseman Kulikov from Ducks, Sources: No discipline for Watson hit on Motte, Surging Bruins fastest to 100 pts. While the junior didnt get all of it on his shot, the puck floated into the air and threw Alaska goalie Jared Whale off balance. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/b8e991e14bec4c29d5fabf14f65973999c7265fae4fbbb512aab25f1b5c4e5da.png, https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/920c9bb2e4377eee504fe52a5c66cb7e459a4075f5bd1757fb6ba07e6a8eeb76.png. 2022 Anchorage Daily News. Referees: Kenneth Gates, Justin Crawford more of the story, Gophers hockey teams wait for answers about fate of seasons, USHL plans for 54-game season starting Nov. 6, Who's next? Coach Kevin Murdock Asst. We know this was a carefully thought-out decision that affects the entire university. Ohio States Jaques adds to honors as WCHA player of year, UMDs Soderberg chosen top student-athlete, co-coaches of year Ohio States Muzerall, St. Not unless they start a cheaper program. Six minutes later, Alaska got its first power play of the day and didnt waste it. "Those are the kind of activities that give us a common cause.". Save Seawolf Hockey says it has collected more than $850,000 in donations and pledges as it works toward its $3 million goal. Get sports alerts, This Week in Sports and highlights of Minnesota's pro teams, the Gophers and outdoors coverage. Sat shoulder to shoulder with people at the Sam Adams taproom right next to Faneuil Hall each night I was out there like there was nothing going onthankfully it was before everything got out of control. Wolverines Bounce Back with Convincing Win, Anchorage Looks to Bounce Back Against Fairbanks at Home. The Associated Press contributed to this report. Chasing Perfection: Is it time to be worried about UConn? Still, the Aces say their losses are too great to continue operating. The Wolverines are coming off a tough weekend against Fairbanks, but have a chance for revenge against the Ice Dogs in what will [], Anchorage, Alaska | 2/25/23 | Isaac Smoldon The Anchorage Wolverines fell by a score of 2-0 to the Fairbanks Ice Dogs on Saturday night. Center Scott Gomez, the two-time Stanley Cup champion and 2000 NHL Rookie of the Year from Anchorage, played for the Aces during two NHL lockouts and was the ECHL's Most Valuable Player in 2005. I bet. The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. I am going to forward this articleto him. "Fans have asked us what they can do," Parks said, "and I said, 'Wipe the tears from my eyes.' proportion we communicate more approximately yourarticle on AOL? ); : More information is available on the Save Seawolf Hockey website. That group includes winger Justin Johnson of Anchorage, who was released by both the Aces and ECHL Idaho, but kept grinding. Men's Ice Hockey More Roster Schedule Coaches Gameday News Stats Additional Links Archives Men's Hockey Media Center 2022-23 Stats Hockey Arena Live Cam Record Book & History Hockey East. , Star Tribune The University of Alaska Anchorage has been a long-standing and solid member of the WCHA since 1993. Players show fondness for Whalen after departure, Reusse: After decades of Gophers rivalry, Iowa still puts on most memorable show, AD says decision for Whalen to step down was mutual call, Even without Whalen, Gophers recruit Kennedy Klick plans to stick with U. UConn did not disappoint, defeating Alaska Anchorage 4-3 in overtime. It's a sign of the times.". The Huskies hosted their first-ever student-only game and had a full house with 2,691 in attendance. Send this article to anyone, no subscription is necessary to view it, Anyone can read, no subscription required. My blog discusses a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe wecould greatly benefit from each other. Hockey is returning to the University of Alaska Anchorage in time for the 2022-23 season after donors, including the NHL's newest team, the Seattle Kraken, raised more than $3 million after the . The problems the program faced in terms of geography, funding, and the murky future of the program arent likely to be any different this time around, with the added challenges of trying to cobble together an independent schedule that doesnt guarantee any home dates. As of Nov. 13, the pot was more than $8,200. I honestly think this one guy could get everything he demanded and still whine. ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Under the northern lights, the Arizona State ice hockey team (16-20-0) executed a night to remember in a 5-0 victory against Alaska Anchorage (6-19-0). "The Aces have been at the top of the hockey pyramid in Alaska for a long time," said Darryl Thompson, president of the Alaska State Hockey Association. 7240 Old Seward Hwy Anchorage, AK 99518 Map Sales: 907-341-4100 The Acesare scheduled to open a three-week, 10-game road trip on Thursday in Elmira, New York. Once again, it took awhile abut after 10 minutes, Fraser re-directed a shot from Harrison Rees that hit both posts and the cross-bar before going in. The economic repercussions of the Aces' demise will hit Alaska's largest city, and ripple beyond it, in a state burdened by a $3 billion deficit. Thats funny, the roster posted here and on UAs official website lists zero Alaska kids. And a team that has won multiple Kelly Cups and Brabham Cups as well as divisional and conference titles and has reveled in that success by hanging banners inside Sullivan, will go dark. Totally takes emotion out of it, relies solely on data. Alaska Anchorage has had a storied program that has sent a number players into the professional ranks as well as careers off the ice.. The game will be live-streamed on the Save Seawolf Hockey Facebook page in order to comply with the Municipality of Anchorages health mandates regarding gathering size limitations. Plays in NCAA Division I Full name University of Alaska - Anchorage Seawolves Team colours Green + Gold Town Anchorage, AK ROSTER STATS 2022-2023 Roster Past Rosters Team Staff Head Coach Matt Shasby Asst. Men's Ice Hockey | University of Alaska Anchorage Terms of Service Privacy Policy Ad Blocker Detected Thanks for visiting goseawolves.com! Best Vacation Value 1,020 Bus Tours from $197.00 per adult LIKELY TO SELL OUT* Matanuska Glacier Hike Day Tour 78 from $289.00 per adult Northern Lights Tours and Lifetime Adventure from Anchorage 7 Art Classes from "I feel bad for the Aces, I feel bad for the community," Hackett said. After the announcement came from UAA, a second announcement was distributed from the group Save Seawolf Hockey, which said the team may continue past this season. The numbers were no where close to what was projected is what they scream. Plans to eliminate the hockey program at Alaska Anchorage were announced in 2020 as part of state budget cuts. Game Recap; Alaska-Anchorage 3 4-17-0. The Save Seawolf Hockey fundraising campaign met that goal Monday. Alaska Anchorage announced Wednesday that it is dropping its men's hockey program after the upcoming season, citing a severe drop in state funding. hello there and thank you for your info Ive certainly picked up anything new from right here.I did however expertise some technical issues using this website, since I experienced to reload the sitemany times previous to I could get it to load properly. "When we got here, guys were rock stars in this town," Burkhead said. It goes down to my (five) kids. This isn't anything to do with the taxpayer.". The University of Alaska Anchorage hockey team will return to the ice next winter.